Flouride? And when should we start visiting the dentist? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I still have to question the wisdom of giving flouride internally. Why not topically? If the research only shows a topical benefit, I don't understand these supplements given internally at all.

Also, I think the anecdotal evidence from 3 kids isn't very important. My brother and I had the exact same flouride exposure and different results.

Just like vaccinations, everyone assumes that any reduction in disease is due to this one factor. Makes no sense to me. With vaccinations, there were major advances in nutrition, hygiene, sanitation and so forth. Yet its the shot that gets full credit. Same with flouride. The research shows a benefit only topically. So why are internal supplements given?

And I'm not one of those nuts who wants "only natural" things with no common sense. But I will drop dead before I intentionally give my child water that has a byproduct from fertilizer phosphate smokestacks added that the EPA ADMITS HAS NOT ONE STUDY TO SHOW ITS SAFE FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2008, 11:27 AM

Recently a dental hygenist told me that kids should start seeing the dentist starting at age 6 months, for "preventive care" since so many babies get baby bottle mouth. Um . . .
My daughter didn't visit the dentist until she was 4, and my 4 yo son has not gone yet because I know he'd be totally freaked out- I see no reason to subject him to that until he's ready. Otherwise he could develop a very unhealthy view of dental visits, and fear them when he may really need them someday.
We have never supplemented flouride and avoid flouride toothpaste as well- and our kids have never had problems with their teeth, cavities or otherwise.
They eat a very healthy whole foods organic diet, with almost no sugar. They do not drink juices, only teas, and water, and occasionally milk. We brush their teeth in the morning, and at night before bed.
That all being said, this is what has worked well for us but I think this is all a very personal thing depending on your child. If your child is ready to see the dentist younger than that than I see no problem with it. If your child has problems with tooth decay, then flouride is probably a good idea. And I have known kids with perfectly healthy lifestyles whose teeth for some reason have decay problems.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:40 PM

i don't have any advice on the flouride issue. like so many other things, i think that's a personal choice that will be different for everyone. as far as the first visit to the dentist, the ADA recommends a child is seen within 6 months of their first tooth errupting.

if you go to a ped dentist, they'll be quick and should let you go in with your child. we took dd at 14mos and again right around 2yrs, and the appts were very quick and easy. personally speaking, i would rather go and feel like that was all for nothing, than wait until they're older and not have caught a problem early on. but we have great dental coverage, so it doesn't cost anything to take dd in to get checked out. i might be of a different opinion if it weren't affordable for us. just my : though!
Old 04-13-2008, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I first took DD1 to the dentist when she was 2, it was a quick peep because she was very unhappy. Less then 6 months later I started to notice cavities, she ended up having to under go sedation to get 4 fixed, she is also missing two of her front teeth now. I'll echo what many others have said, no juice, or junk food, etc... DD2 wasn't even 1 year yet when I saw her first spots on her teeth, same thing, the child was barely eating solid food, and still has never had anything to drink besides water and breastmilk. She is 1.5y now and so far we are just watching her teeth, but they are just getting worse, I don't know how much longer we'll be able to wait.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:27 PM

I took my daughter to the dentist this past week. She’s 28 months old. It was my appointment time for cleaning and a check up. My mom was there to take DD to the waiting room if she acted up. The hygienist was awesome telling DD what she was doing. My daughter watched the whole time, fascinated. They gave her stickers and a cool toothbrush. She got to ride in the chair. The dentist counted her teeth and took a quick peek.

I did have some specific questions. My DD is adopted and her birth mother has horrible teeth. The dentist assured me that family history isn’t destiny. He specifically mentioned fluoridated water as a positive for DD’s future dental heath. There were a couple of other things I had questions about and went away reassured. It was a positive experience for us.

As for fluoride – I am for it. The difference between any medicine and poison is the dose. Of course there are instances where people have had too much fluoride or it is mixed with something that had a completely different effect. My research on this includes access to dental journals through my job, not just random crap found on the internet. (I’m not saying anyone is doing that here. I’ve waded into this debate many times in many forums.) Having a chemical engineer hubby helps too. I don’t let DD get too much. She gets tap fluoridated water (though she usually chooses soy milk.) and we use a straight dentifrice with no fluoride.

Masel

User Tag List