Feeling Rejected by Almost 2-yr-old DD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-23-2003, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am feeling really sad and rejected lately by my dd. She will be 2 next month. For over a week now she only wants her daddy and wants nothing to do with me except for naps and bedtime when I nurse her. She wants daddy to do everything - read her books, get her dressed, get her something to eat/drink, etc.. She wants me to leave when I come into the same room as them sometimes. I quit my job a couple months ago to stay home with her and I feel like we were closer when I did work full-time. I tell myself that I am being silly and I am not in competition with my husband, but it really hurts when she doesn't want me around at all. Can anyone relate with me about this?
Jodi
#2 of 4 Old 09-23-2003, 02:24 AM

Jodi,

My kids are a bit younger than your DD but I can imagine how you might be feeling. You're right (of course) that you're not in competition with your DH. I read somewhere that when a kid seems to favor one parent over the other, the "left out" parent would do well to continue to try to connect, and the "chosen" parent can help by always including the other. I think it is in "What to Expect the First Year" so it must be a pretty common experience!

Keep the faith, you're your DDs beloved mama and she is just trying on different behaviors. It's not personal.

CurlyTop
#3 of 4 Old 09-23-2003, 08:10 PM

I am right there with you. I hope your ordeal doesn't last as long as mine. I can do nothing for my son unless my hubby is gone at work or something. I hate it too! It makes me feel terrible. My hubby went away for a month (he is military), when DS was one and ever since then he has done this. I don't know for sure if that trip was the reason but I think maybe it is because he hasn't gone anywhere since. He will be 28 months Octobe 2nd. i am sorry you are gong through this. I know it hurts. Sorry I can't help you but I wanted you to know you are not alone.
Earthmama
#4 of 4 Old 09-23-2003, 10:08 PM

Well, you know it could just be that you are with her more now, so she feels like she needs more of her Daddy's attention when he is home..... I have a son, so im not sure if its different because of that, but i know that when my husband is gone a lot, or working overtime, when he is home its all about Daddy, and i recognize that so it doesnt bother me, likewise he has always gone through mommy phases... and like i said, im not sure but gender wise ive heard about a theory of girls competing with mom for daddy's attention.... i dont have a daughter so i cant relate that to my life, and i wasnt very close to my dad growing up, but it could kinda be that too.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page