15 month old with a 102.7 fever - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a call into the nurse line, but we're waiting to get a call back. She might be teething - but we don't know. It's just out of character for her - she hasn't been sick in her entire life.

So....

Any ideas?

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#2 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 12:09 AM

No other symptoms? Running around and playing?

Honestly my twins don't feel it's necessary to run a fever UNLESS it's at least 102. I don't worry about it. It's her bodies natural way of fighting off an illness and shouldn't be tampered with. Viruses and bacteria can't replicate at those temperatures. I don't see the need to even call the nurse line.
#3 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 12:15 AM

I see no reason to worry. Most likely a virus. Kids get sick. Fever is not dangerous.

-Angela
#4 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 12:49 AM

Her body is just fighting something. There's no need to give her anything to reduce the fever - the fever actually helps her body kill off whatever she's fighting. My dd1 frequently ran very high fevers, and the pediatrician would always reassure us that it is safe - her body won't burn itself up, and the high number is not an indication that she's very sick, it's just the way my dd's body handles the illness.

chicken3.gif

#5 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 06:49 PM

My old family doc considered 102-103 fevers low...it's pretty normal as pp's have said.
#6 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 09:27 PM

IMO, 102.7 is too high for teething, but like the pp said, let it run its course. I always wait 24 hrs before taking DS to the doctor for a fever, and most of the time the fever is gone by then. Just make sure your LO gets plenty of fluids (BM or whatever!) and stays hydrated! Hope she feels better very soon!!
#7 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 PM

My little guy routinely gets fevers of 102-103 when he gets a virus. I know it's scary- adults rarely get temps that high! But it's normal for toddlers. It probably won't last more than a day or two. Hope she feels better soon.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#8 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 10:35 PM

DS has had that happen a few times; his temp gets up to 102-103. DH totally flips and wants to run him to the ER every time, but we've been down that road. The docs always say alternate infant Tylenol and Infant Motrin doses every 6 hours, cool bath if they will accept it, cool washcloth to the forehead, dress them lightly, lots of nursies, juice, water, even popsicles- it actually always works.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#9 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post
DS has had that happen a few times; his temp gets up to 102-103. DH totally flips and wants to run him to the ER every time, but we've been down that road. The docs always say alternate infant Tylenol and Infant Motrin doses every 6 hours, cool bath if they will accept it, cool washcloth to the forehead, dress them lightly, lots of nursies, juice, water, even popsicles- it actually always works.
Of course there is no reason to medicate at all...

-Angela
#10 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 11:19 PM

I agree there is no cause for alarm. That's a bit high for my ds but not for my dd. When she gets a fever, it is usually 104-105.

And I believe that medicating a fever reduces the body's ability to naturally fight an illness and may prolong the course of the illness.

However, when my temp gets up high, I start to feel achy and restless, and I reach for the Motrin. So if my kids have a fever but are running around playing, I don't medicate. If they are restless and achy and can't sleep, I will try nursing, distracting, and maybe a bath, and then if they're tired and still restless and achy, I will give them Motrin. So, that would be my reason for medicating--for discomfort related to fever, not the fever itself.
#11 of 12 Old 04-19-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQMama View Post
I agree there is no cause for alarm. That's a bit high for my ds but not for my dd. When she gets a fever, it is usually 104-105.

And I believe that medicating a fever reduces the body's ability to naturally fight an illness and may prolong the course of the illness.
I agree. I wouldn't go by what the thermometer says, go by how your little one is feeling. If she is up, moving around, and not in pain, then make sure she gets lots of fluids and keep an eye on her. If she is cranky, lethargic, or acts like she's in pain, then I'd treat the pain, not the fever.

If you do decide to treat the fever, don't try to bring it down too fast, because it can lead to febrile seizures (which are harmless, but they can be scary!).

Dr. Sears' website has some pretty useful fever info: http://askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp

I hope she's feeling better soon!
#12 of 12 Old 04-19-2008, 01:21 AM
Banned

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page