2 YO Obsessions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-21-2008, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know wheter it is an obsession, I suppose its the same as having a favourite blanket or something.

Anyway, my 2 yeear old DD is obsessed with spoons, particularly tea spoons. She carries them everywhere she goes and if she loses them, then she cries.

Is this normal? My first DD never did this.

When DD2 finds a spoon after it has been lost for some 5 mins, she lovingly picks it up, cradles it to her face and says 'Spooooooooooooon'.

What is it about spoons? Whay can't she have a favourite teddy or something?

I have to laugh but it does get irritating because the spoons get placed everywhere from the rat cage to down behind the sofa, to those unreachable places within the sofa, as a result, we are running out of spoons. Aaaaaaaaargh.
#2 of 16 Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 PM

How funny! My ds is obsessed with matchbox cars and shake cars. He takes a shake car to bed every night, and most of the time the thing starts "vroooom"ing when he rolls over! All 3 of my kids are attached to something. It's pretty normal - you'll just have lots of funny stories to tell her when she gets older!

chicken3.gif

#3 of 16 Old 04-21-2008, 10:42 PM

For the past 40 mins or so as I type, my kid has been rolling his little train along the little half-peiced-together track, doing the same monotone shortened: "whah. whah-whah. whah. whah-whah." 's (which I guess is supposed to be, in some way, the sound of the train whistle? )

I've been trying FOR MONTHS to get him interested in other toys besides race cars/monster trucks, and trains. He has a mild interest in balls, moderately in bubbles, but that's it. He took his train to bed with him last night. He alternates from his train for about a week, back to his racecar for about a week.

But yes, it's a definite obsession.
#4 of 16 Old 04-25-2008, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

They are funny critters.

I just have to add, DD also likes to take her spoons to bed, which is all well and good, but we co sleep and the number of times I have woken up with a stuck to my face is ridiculous.

She forgot to take her spoon to bed the other night and woke up really upset because she didn't have it.

Also, for some reason, my girls have become obsessed with spiders, its driving me around the bed. DD2 also woke up the other night, absolutely hysterical about there being spider webs in the bed. We have spiders webs and spiders in the bathroom and both girls peer into all the gaps making sure there aren't any too close to the bath, before they allow themselves to get in.

Honestly, sometimes I feel as if I am in a mad house.

Must be worse for DH though seeing as though he has to put with me and my weird questions as well as his nutty daughters. For instance, yesterday I woke up with a burning question 'if you raised a tyrannosaurus rex from an egg, do you think it would be tame or would you still be worried it would eat you'? He said something about it being a wild creature and I said 'yeah, but you raised it from an egg so it would be kinda tame wouldn't it'?
#5 of 16 Old 04-25-2008, 01:09 PM

A couple months ago, I met a 2-year-old at the Family Center whose security object was a plastic cup (one of those "disposable/reusable" kind). She called it "cuppy." I thought it was hilarious.

My 17-month-old is currently obsessed with marbles. Not exactly the kind of thing that I want a one-year-old to be addicted to! Eeeks!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#6 of 16 Old 04-25-2008, 01:58 PM

My 22 month old goes in spurts. He's done the spoon thing (and I still keep finding them everywhere!), once it was a pj shirt he couldn't be without, right now its a gloworm that doesn't have any batteries. Named Gloria.

We just let him do his thing and try to keep track of his stuff. I do encourage him to keep his obsessions on his bed though if I see them lying around. It just saves alot of trouble.
#7 of 16 Old 04-25-2008, 03:02 PM

Toddlers are wonderful! And this thread has me laughing so much! Thanks mamas. I had a miscarriage last week and was feeling gloomy today but now I'm smiling.

My 19 month old has something of an obsession with balls, which he says as ba-ba. We have tons of them around the house, all sizes and colors, and yes, I do have a picture of him sleeping with one cradled in his arms.

Erika, mama to Austin (9/14/06), (4/08, 13 weeks gestation), and Sierra (7/3/09, 27 weeks gestation)
#8 of 16 Old 04-25-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Lol, glad to be able to cheer you up.

One other thing, DD2 also calls her nappies 'happys' lol. Whenever she sees one she shouts 'happy, happy, happy'. Tee hee hee.
#9 of 16 Old 04-25-2008, 07:08 PM

Could be worse--we have a friend whose LO was obsessed w/ garbage cans. He carried a little wastebasket w/ him everywhere and would pick up any trash on the ground.
#10 of 16 Old 04-25-2008, 07:59 PM

I have a spoon loving, 2 yo, DD as well. She will open up the drawer and pull out a couple and then carry them around the house. She isn't quite as obsessed as your DD, but she does treat them like babies and gets very upset if I don't let her have them. And here I thought she was the only one.
#11 of 16 Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
Could be worse--we have a friend whose LO was obsessed w/ garbage cans. He carried a little wastebasket w/ him everywhere and would pick up any trash on the ground.

OH OH Is he up for adoption???
#12 of 16 Old 04-25-2008, 10:22 PM

Bella is obsessed with latex balloons (which I have a mild phobia of).
#13 of 16 Old 04-25-2008, 10:25 PM

My dd has a recent obsession with coffee filters.. I had them stashed in a cupboard for when family comes and she's been carrying them around for 2 days now... She unstacks them and spreads them around the table and then stacks them back up and applauds. She counts them "one, three, five, nine" and occasionally her kitty gets to sit in one...

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#14 of 16 Old 04-28-2008, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellacymom View Post
Bella is obsessed with latex balloons (which I have a mild phobia of).
PMSL!!!!!

Dh was concerned about DDs weird spoon thing, but now he knows that there are otheer kids with 'issues' (tee hee hee), he is not so worried.

I guess really we have to be thankful she likes spoons rather than knives and forks!

And the trash can thing, lol........
#15 of 16 Old 04-28-2008, 04:44 AM

Over here, it's buses. Buses, buses, buses, buses, buses, buses.

And trucks. Trucks, trucks, trucks, trucks, trucks, trucks, trucks.
#16 of 16 Old 04-28-2008, 10:23 AM

My DD loves buttons. I had out my big divider box of button (I make costumes) and she went ballistic. I gave her a couple of the small plastic ones and she carried them everywhere. For Easter someone gave her a tiny ziplock full of buttons and she was the happiest kid ever. The buttons have ended up wherewhere and when DD finds one she is as delighted as if it were a shiny new silver dollar. Oh for these small joys.

(PS Anyone else think of the Tick with the OP's spoon obession. His battle cry is "Spoooooooon!")

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page