~*~*~* Nov 2006 Mamas - WELCOME to MAY - 1 1/2 years old!!! *~*~*~ - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2008, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ella finally said "Mom" yesterday. She usually calls me (and other adults she knows well) "Dad".

The weather here on Saturday was beautiful. We spent so much time outside. Ella had a great time. Ella has figured out how to climb up our little playhouse thing and go down the slide. She's still a little unsure of going down so she goes on her tummy, feet first. She says 'weeee' as she slides - so cute. Ella has also started going down our stairs forward - I can't believe it.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday DD was soooooooooo desperate to go swimming. She went to the French doors of our room and pointed to the pool. She signed swim. She then went and got her swimming costume (bathing suit) and brought it to DH.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post
Ella finally said "Mom" yesterday. She usually calls me (and other adults she knows well) "Dad".

The weather here on Saturday was beautiful. We spent so much time outside. Ella had a great time. Ella has figured out how to climb up our little playhouse thing and go down the slide. She's still a little unsure of going down so she goes on her tummy, feet first. She says 'weeee' as she slides - so cute. Ella has also started going down our stairs forward - I can't believe it.
Homer goes down the first three forward, and he just started that too. We have three, then a landing and turn, then the rest. THe big run he still does backward. And yay for "Mom" finally ! Sure fire way to melt the heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
Yesterday DD was soooooooooo desperate to go swimming. She went to the French doors of our room and pointed to the pool. She signed swim. She then went and got her swimming costume (bathing suit) and brought it to DH.
That's too funny. I took Homer swimming at the hotel yesterday (we were out of town for a tourney) and he had a blast.

We also went to a museum where some lady assumed I was pg (I posted about it in TAO) and THAT made me feel really good. Today I'm not breathing so well so I'm sitting here with breathing treatments and oxygen and we had to skip the family cookout. Here's hoping tomorrow is better.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 PM

Hugs, stella. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
Old 05-26-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Adam calls me mom but he calls his grandmas (and his dad) "dada", LOL.

We're still having a difficult time getting Adam to sit down and eat a meal like the doctor suggested. He'd much rather snack all day and he really doesn't sit still for more than a few minutes at a time. I'm thinking of just ditching the idea and feeding him however he wants. If he hasn't gained anything by the time his weight check rolls around I'll just tell the ped I tried feeding him cheeseburgers and french fries everyday but apparently it didn't work

We're at mil's this morning for Memorial Day brunch and she's already driving me nuts. I'm pretty sure it has more to do with my PMDD and less to do with her actually doing anything wrong "sigh".

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Old 05-26-2008, 08:03 PM

I pretty much let Atticus eat how he wants and most of the time it involves weird places. Basically whatever will work to get him to eat. It seems weird that your ped in concerned about that...Was there a weight gain issue? As long as your LO is eating, I don't see the prob.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:43 AM

Weird - I typed this entire post and it disappeared.

Anyhow, we let Fiona eat however we can get her to eat. Seated with us, we get about three bites of anything. Even her favorites. By letting her graze throughout the day and night, she eats a pretty good amount of food. Her latest craze is soft pretzels! Puht-uls. And beans from a can, that I rinse. She doesn't even want them heated. She went and grabbed a can and brought it to me today from the pantry.

I completely sympathize on the inlaw issues. Anyone else have them and have anything they use to cope? I am almost reduced to panic attacks going there. My FIL is troubling to me. Today I had to hear (from all his friends who live near him) how he is the best grandfather and how lucky my daughter is. That really isn't the case, so I didn't have the best tolerance for hearing that.

Have a great week everyone!

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstella View Post
Today I'm not breathing so well so I'm sitting here with breathing treatments and oxygen and we had to skip the family cookout. Here's hoping tomorrow is better.
Hope you feel better soon!
Old 05-27-2008, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

We also let DD eat whenever and however. Ideally in her high chair, but in the kitchen outside of her high chair (we try to get her to sit), on the floor of our bedroom (we try to get her to sit), on the way to daycare...

She either eats a lot or not much at all. Oh well, she's up to 22lbs.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:01 AM

Happy belated memorial day weekend everyone!

Stella, I hope you feel better today.

Lea eats unbelievable amounts of everything, and has a nice beer gut to show for it. 3.5 yo DS is somewhat picky and does not eat half of what she does. I think they have very different metabolisms.

Lea also loves to slide. She can climb up the big kids slide now. It's OK now, but she used to stand at the top and shout "Sit down Lea" (Gee, wonder where she got that from?) And if I came over to her, she would laugh and say "hop-hop." and hop up there! I'm pretty casual, but I could see her falling backwards doing that, so twice I pulled her off and told her she couldn't slide anymore because she was standing up. A bit harsh, but that solved the problem, and she doesn't stand up anymore. Unfortunately, the scaffolding is up around the house, and she has climbed up the ladders twice. Straight vertical, and cement below, momma is having a heart attack! I used to be able to swing DS or make dinner looking out the window, but I don't think that's entirely safe now with all the construction.

Anyone use zinc on their DCs bottom? If she is complaining and I ask her if she needs a clean diaper, she looks me right in the eye and nods her head and says nej (no). I check, and there is poop everywhere. She can say she wants a clean diaper, but she won't. She has excema and very sensitive skin. If she poops, it's usually pretty stinky and obvious and she gets cleaned right away. But once/twice a week it doesn't stink and she is sitting in it a while before we notice and the skin around her yoni and bottom flares up and gets really red and has even bled! Then it is painful for her when we clean it, and she screams of course. Zinc works pretty quickly, but just wondering if there is something else?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:26 AM

Feeling better today, think I'm on the rebound again yay. Thanks for the well wishes!

Homer gets those bad diaper rashes too, Allison. We use zinc on him when it gets so bad too. His have been bleeding sometimes too, and he'll just scream and scream when I change him . Cloth also seems to help as opposed to pampers as does running around naked. That's not always practical though.

The construction sounds like it would give me a heart attack! Homer goes up the slide and scares me half to death too.

We don't have a problem with Homer not eating enough... He has a nice little beer belly too .

Well, speaking of food I think it's time for someone's breakfast.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:51 PM

I'm really spoiled in the sleep department usually.

DS1 has always been a great sleeper, we've had our speed bumps along the way but in general he requires a lot of sleep. Good in one way, bad in others i.e. when I want to go do other things that don't involve 3+ hour naps!
He goes down around 8pm and wakes up around 8am. Then has a 3.5hr nap mid-day.
DH and I aim for 10pm, DH gets up at 5am and me around 6am. Although with the baby I've been sleeping in until DS1 wakes up.

Now the hard part is getting a nap during the day since the baby likes to get up for 30min or so around 1am then again at 5am. Ahhhh scheduling! Such fun.

DS keeps adding in new words here and there, he has excellent comprehension but I do hope he starts really talking sooner than later. I keep explaining to him that we'll get along so much better once he uses real words lol! In the meantime he has these complete conversations in gibberish. He hand talks and everything but nobody understands a word. Occasionally he'll throw in a word here and there like tractor, dog, pony etc. so at least we have a hint what the funny bits are about He has a few signs and CAN say several words, he was a couple months ago but then regressed to "uh oh". Now he consistently say Hi, Dad, Momma, Dog, Bye bye & please.

Eating is still a challenge. He's a good weight (29lbs) and is very healthy but it's still a struggle to get him to NOT throw his food on the floor It's narrowed down to a supper time issue as he's really good with his breakfast lunch and snacks.
Doesn't help if the dogs are in the kitchen, he thinks it's great fun to share his food with them of course!

Oh and the screaming.

Anyone else have a screamer??

He went through that stage around 10 months and I thought it was done and over with. Nope! He hits this certain pitch that hurts our ears SO bad. It's purely an attention thing but it is so very hard to ignore - especially in the car DH pointed out that the board of labor would require ear protection if anyone babysat him.
Last weekend I was sorely tempted to find a squirt bottle but DH reminded me that he's a child...not a pet and that we should resort to other methods to discourage the behaviour. Awwwww I guess he's right.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

rescuing us from the depths of page 3

DD has a new word - Cargo Dh said that she was the most precious cargo (in the cart) when they were at Home Depot yesterday

And today she said her first "no" - when I offered her BM.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:43 PM

oh, man, no to bm? I've had that a few times. It just blows me away, because every other time all he wants is nur-nurs.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:22 PM

Is anyone else seeing a bunch of flash ads for the first time today? Can you say ANNOYING!

greymare -On the days I don't work IU get spoiled too since DD will sleep until 8:30-9. I wish she'd go to bed earlier than 10 but no matter what time we wake her up in the morning she won't go to bed until late. She'll make up for it with a longer nap instead.

Is anyone having to limit the types of food your LO's eat? Every time I open the fridge DD screams for 'know-gee' (yogurt), even if she just finished one. If she doesn't get one, she throws a complete fit and throws herself on the kitchen floor. This weekend, we decided to try and indulge her and see if she'd get sick of yogurt. She ate an entire 6 pack of stoneyfield yogurt by 4 in the afternoon. WE couldn't continue our experiment since we were out of yogurt. I think our plan backfired. We really thought she'd get sick of it after the first couple but now she thinks there's a 6-pack on the way every time we open the fridge. Oy-yoi-yoi

\m/

Old 05-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Ummm..yes, about the yogurt obsession. Atticus has eaten a ton already this morning and keeps asking for more. I have to admit it's a bit annoying because he makes a mess!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 PM

Another yogurt lover here! We only give him plain whole-milk yogurt, and you would think we were giving him candy!! I've thought about getting flavored yogurt, but I'll take him eating plain as long as I can Sometimes we mix a little ground flaxseed and/or applesauce with it. He usually eats all that we give him, but doesn't ask for more.

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

Old 05-28-2008, 03:14 PM

hmmmm - dh has been letting Millie have sips of his juice (cranberry cordial diluted with fizzy water) for a while now but this week he gave her some in her own cup (even more diluted) and now it's all she wants! I let her have a little but then fill her cup with more water and then pretend to put the cordial in (though I tell her I'm not really putting it in - but she thinks I am - so I don't feel I'm lying to her!) and she drinks the water fine!

Claire - wife of 1, mum of 2! Jess 10-01-96, Millie 08-11-06
Old 05-28-2008, 04:03 PM

I started giving Atticus diluted juice last week. I kept telling myself I wouldn't, but he just loves it so much. After his nap yeterday, he drank about eights ounces in like three minutes.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:05 PM

!!!! I just got a phone call informing me that DD went poo on the potty!!!! I really think watching the older kids try at daycare is motivation for her.

YAY!!! poo-poo on the potty #2!!!!

**Don't mind the banana. That's me in my office right now. No wonder my coworkers think I'm strange

\m/

Old 05-28-2008, 06:14 PM

Wow! Poo on the potty? That's huge. The banana seems highly appropriate.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCommando View Post
!!!! I just got a phone call informing me that DD went poo on the potty!!!! I really think watching the older kids try at daycare is motivation for her.
Wow! Well done!

Jess went to get Millie up from her nap this afternoon and called me up - Millie had taken off her nappy and done a big poo in her cot! Seems that she took the nappy off first then did it as the nappy was just wet. I was partly anooyed and partly very proud!

Claire - wife of 1, mum of 2! Jess 10-01-96, Millie 08-11-06
Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Great pooing on the potty!

We had the MOST INCREDIBLE nappy/diaper explosion this morning! I've NEVER seen anything like it before - all over her, her high chair! Luckily I wasn't on duty (I was leaving for work - there is something to be said to working outside the home...part of the time )
Old 05-28-2008, 07:47 PM

Okay, yes on the yogurt it was one of Homer's first words . "I want yo-grrrr" Too funny how he says it, too.

And for pooing on the potty! Woooohooooo! Homer has been following his brother every time he goes, and he sits on the pot but nothing happening yet. You're giving me hope.

And Millie, yay for knowing not to do it in the wet, yucky nappy! . Not nearly as convenient for Mama though.

I'm still using oxygen today (although I'm feeling better) so I'm kind of limited and my boys are taking advantage. This room here is such a mess I can barely see the floor. When I do get to feeling better it will take me 2 days to clean everything lol. Or maybe I'll have dd and dh do it tomorrow. Friday is the last day of school here for my older ones. I'm kind of glad, no more getting up at 6:00 to get them ready plus I'll have the olders around a little more (aside from visits with dad). Dd especially is a great help, and my 7yo ds really helps keep my 4yo ds entertained. And Homer loves following them around lol.

Some of them will be homeschooling again next year. 16yo ds and 4yo ds for sure (well they'll be 17 and 5 then lol). 7yo ds will go to public school for sure. Dd (she's 12) is undecided as of yet.

Dh is going to have the day off tomorrow so we may go look at some houses or something. We're trying to move closer to where he works and find something that is all one level or at least has a bedroom and bathroom downstairs for me on bad days lol. Here all the bedrooms and the only bathroom are upstairs .

Wish me luck navigating this disaster area!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
It seems weird that your ped in concerned about that...Was there a weight gain issue?
Yes, he hasn't gained an ounce since his 15 month check-up. He still weighs 20 lbs. She was more concerned about the lack of weight gain than the number value (dp and I are small people).

Anyone else not worrying about potty training for a while? I always thought kids pt'd around 2.5 years until I started frequenting parenting websites, LOL.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Old 05-29-2008, 01:24 AM

Well we went to Lake Tahoe for the Memorial Day weekend. We went with another family with kids the same age as ours. It was a lot of fun, although Magnus was sick and now my youngest dd and I are both sick. We took Magnus to the health clinic Tuesday morning as he was up for three hours in the middle of the night crying and totally inconsolable. Sure enough he had double ear infections so now he's on amoxicilian for 10 days. It was my birthday on Sunday and we had a really nice celebration at the cabin we rented. Hope you all had a great weekend too.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstella View Post
Wish me luck navigating this disaster area!

GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by co op mama View Post
It was my birthday on Sunday and we had a really nice celebration at the cabin we rented. Hope you all had a great weekend too.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

I stepped on a bougainvilla thorn (1" long) on Sunday, had A LOT of trouble getting it out of my heel, went for a tetanus injection on Monday (ICK!!! DH said - why are you getting one when we don't vax??? Deep puncture wound...I said) and AM RUNNING A FEVER AND ACHY and CAN'T MOVE MY ARM TODAY. Feeling very sorry for myself.

Oh - and DD LOVES yogurt, too - the grownup kind - actually - Brown Cow cream top - not the baby kinds.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann21 View Post
Yes, he hasn't gained an ounce since his 15 month check-up. He still weighs 20 lbs. She was more concerned about the lack of weight gain than the number value (dp and I are small people).

Anyone else not worrying about potty training for a while? I always thought kids pt'd around 2.5 years until I started frequenting parenting websites, LOL.
Stacyann; it's only 3 months. If he is eating/drinking/peeing/pooping, and developing, then I wouldn't worry. Just watch. I have no idea how much Lea weighs or her height.... she was weighed at birth, and I think 8 months or so. I don't know, but she is growing, which is obvious by the fact I have to buy new clothes! She wears a 92 (18-24 month or small 2t).

I'm not doing potty training here either. I hate that word - training. 3.5yo DS has just now gotten the hang of it. We did naked time, and offered the toilet but he just wasn't interested. Then at 3.5 he suddenly said he wanted underwear, not a diaper. So we did that and he was 50% success right away, and three weeks later probably 90%. I think it is because HE decided when, how and what the rules are (he picks the underwear, little potty only...) and HE is ambitious about it because HE decided it was now OK.

However, I don't think the mommas here are "training" per se. Some kids are just really into it, really early, and some not til much later. Leaving the options open; naked time, toilet out.... if the child initiates it, is really great. Congrats to your DD midnight commando!

User Tag List