~*~*~* Nov 2006 Mamas - WELCOME to MAY - 1 1/2 years old!!! *~*~*~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a talkative bunch huh? DD is also a parrot but she'll usually only say the word the once or twice and forget.

I have a question about pronunciation. DD cannot produce the "R" sound and replaces it with "ee". More sounds like mow-ee, and water is wat-ee, and if a word starts with an "r", well forget it. Any LO's with similar issues? I'm not super worried about it now but is something I'm keeping and eye on - or would that be keeping an ear on anyhoo...

AiisonR, I know you mean about them doing the opposite of what you say. DD's word of choice seems to be no, even when we try not to give her questions that have a yes/no answer. We've been offering choices and the answer is still no. I'm hoping its just a phase.

\m/

#62 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 03:13 PM

wow, you don't long into MDC for 2 days and you get 4 pages behind

words that abbi true has been saying:

nigh nigh
may me (blanket, pillow, binkie
eat
milk
mama
daddy
cookie
hi
hello
doggy
kitty
horse
gek in (chicken)
bye bye
shoe
bath
baby
gank ewe (thank you)
a-in (aislyn, her big sis)
ball
book
ead (read)

i'm sure theres more but i'm blanking .....

Happy Monday, hope the sun is shining for y'all!!

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#63 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Happy Monday! You know, I don't think Atticus uses R sounds too much either. When he water, it's wa-wa. Maybe it's normal for this age?

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#64 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 04:07 PM

Pronunciation: Lea does R sounds, but the danish word for mommy is mor, so r is sort of important! She does not do S well at the beginning of words. So Snake is 'nake...

If she sees a picture of anyone with their eyes closed, she says søver (sleeping) and then puts her finger to her mouth and says Shhh in a stage whisper. Cracks me up. Hmm, well I guess she does do S sometimes. Never mind.

Anyone having sudden sleep trouble? The last 3 out of 4 nights Lea has been SCREAMING - as in non-stop, uncontrollable, banging head against wall ENRAGED sobbing. For like 30 minutes straight. At bedtime only. Goes down for nap fine. Nothing has changed in her or our routine. Dh is still holding, patting her to sleep (we co-sleep and I am putting DS to bed in his room at the same time, but we have been doing this for 5 months now, no problems.) Could she already need less sleep? She gets 1-2.5 hours daytime nap, plus 10 hours at night. I think normal? 3.5yo DS goes to bed at the same time and he still NEEDS the sleep. What's up???
#65 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 04:38 PM

No R sounds from Fiona, either. Frog comes out "gog" or "og". I think r's come later developmentally in terms of speech, but I could be wrong. I know that it is a sound that gives even older children problems.

Hope everyone is doing well. The sun is shining here today, which means I will probably be doing bubbles later! New favorite thing to do here.

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
#66 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 04:39 PM

It's a great day here, too. I'll prob take Atticus to the park after work. It's become our new ritual.

#67 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 04:40 PM

#68 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 04:42 PM

:::: ::

#69 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 04:45 PM

It's a great day here too! I've been outside with the boys most of the day, and I am paying for it now. I am exhausted.

I can't recall Homer saying any "r"s, so maybe he doesn't? I know he does have trouble with s's at the beginning of words (I tuck instead of I'm stuck stands out...)

He learned a new one today - I want chips :. Chips are something I never, ever, ever have in the house - we just don't eat them! BUT I've been so darn sick and my mom brought over some stuff and of course THEY eat chips so they assume we do too and so I let the kids have them and he's hooked. : I'm in serious trouble next time we hit the grocery store, he's going to be pitching a fit when he sees them I WANT CHIPS! Thankfully it was a small bag and it didn't last long with 5 children.

My 4yo has strep, we were at the urgent care place last night. HOpe he keeps it to himself. I have to call my dr. and see if I need more antibiotics or if it's okay to wait and see since I'm completely immunosuppressed on this med. I'm on a prophylactic antibiotic, but not sure how effective that one is against strep (It's more for an opportunistic pneumonia that affects people on chemo).

Hope the rest of us stay well, and 4yo continues on the mend. He's feeling much better today thankfully.

Anyone heard from Dov's mom recently? Was just thinking of her and wondering how she's holding out with the new baby and Dov. for Dov'sMom if you're reading!
#70 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedidbug View Post

and you spent number 1,000 in here with us!!!!

#71 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue butterfly View Post
and you spent number 1,000 in here with us!!!!

I wouldn't have it any other way. I've been w/ you guys since I was a new member!

#72 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
:

I swear that wasn't there when I posted earlier! You must have posted while I was responding lol, but it looks like I totally ignored your celebration.
#73 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 PM

Oh, that's okay...We posted at the same time, I think.

#74 of 367 Old 05-05-2008, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wouldn't have it any other way. I've been w/ you guys since I was a new member!
aaaawwwwwwwwwwww shucks

this is EXACTLY the way I feel, too!

I'm soooooooooooooo glad we hang out together !!!!

I've also been with you mamas since I was a brand new member guessing DD's birthdate, gender, and weight!

What a great group of friends you are!
#75 of 367 Old 05-06-2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
aaaawwwwwwwwwwww shucks

this is EXACTLY the way I feel, too!

I'm soooooooooooooo glad we hang out together !!!!

I've also been with you mamas since I was a brand new member guessing DD's birthdate, gender, and weight!

What a great group of friends you are!
Oh my, it seems so looooong ago, our due date club. I used to wonder where some of those mommas went. I know a lot of us were planning home births and such, and maybe when it didn't work out as expected, people just left. (I did, for a while) Or more optimistically, they just are spending more time IRL! But we have a great group now - those that have been here since week XYZ, and those that were lucky enough to find us afterwards!
#76 of 367 Old 05-06-2008, 05:52 AM

As usual, I start wondering why I'm not getting emails from MDC anymore, only to realize it's a week into the new month

Lets see what I can answer... Mikaela is in her own crib - has been since about 10 months - but still nurses on demand. I'm starting to have her wait when we're out and about until we can get someplace a little more private, but that's more because she's easily distracted and will leave me totally exposed if I'm not paying 100% attention to her. My son weaned on his 17th "monthaversary," so this is all new territory for me!

Words... she says a lot. I'm sure I'm not going to remember them all:
mama
dah-dee (daddy)
bah-bah (Bob-Bob, her brother)
Oma
at jee-see (Auntie Jessie)
dow (down - means up )
ow (out - can also mean down)
mine
mo (no or noes)
eye
toe
shoe (her favorite)
heh-woe (hello or telephone)
hi
bye-bye
ni-ni (night night)
taco
tuh-ta-toe (tomato)
pee-tah (pizza)
doggie (means dog, cat, squirrel... pretty much any animal)
ju (juice)
yah (yeah - the answer to any question, including our favorite, "Do you want to go skydiving?")
ah-mee (amen - also means "the end" and "all done")
ah-do-tee (1, 2, 3 - any more is just repeating "do-tee-do-tee" over and over )
baw (ball)
baby (baby or doll/stuffed animal or any child)
uh-oh
wow-wow (for her brother's cartoon, "Wow Wow Wubsy"
hi Teve ("hi, Steve" on Blue's Clues)

If we ask her where ____ is, she can identify eye, noes, mouth, cheek, chin, hair, fingers, toes, ear and sometimes elbow.

She sings "uh uh" in pitch to twinkle twinkle/ABCs, some of the hymns/liturgy from church and tries really hard to sing along (a note behind) whenever someone else is singing. Last week she "conducted" the choir at church from our pew in the back. At home, whenever ANY music comes on, she has to stop what she's doing and dance (bounce, spin in circles, wave her arms like she's trying to fly and laugh). Even if there isn't any music, she'll usually start dancing if you just say "dance."

She has used the potty once (to poop - when I stopped her from pooping in the tub... her favorite), but otherwise she just likes to open and close the lid. Since her brother still isn't usually interested in the potty either, I'm planning some major naked time for both of them this summer as it continues to warm up a bit. We're renters of a house with light carpeting throughout - everywhere except the bathrooms and the kitchen. If I can figure out a way to fence off the back yard, we (meaning the kids) will most likely be running naked in the yard quite a bit. Maybe some time indoors in the kitchen, too (the main bathroom just is kinda tiny to spend too much time in there, and I just can't trust M not to poop on the carpet - pee I don't care about because it cleans up easily enough).

As for teeth, I'm not sure about molars, but she has everything else - the last 3 (both upper canines and her left lower canine) have broken through and pushed up within the last 2 weeks... so for baby book purposes, I'll say 4/28 for those three.
#77 of 367 Old 05-06-2008, 11:45 AM

Wow, so many words! I don't think Asheby has too many yet. Let's see....

mama
dada
bobba (for Bobbins aka Amethyst)
mimi
hat
lie (for eye)
no (nose)
hat
ear
ba-ball (baseball)
aside (outside)
ball
boo (book)
pops (aka poots, lol)
poopoo
moo (moon)
bi (bike)
ri rove roo (scooby doo for I love you)
nigh nigh
bye bye
boom (when he falls)
bonk (when he bonks his head)
mum mums (food)
and thats all I can think of!

He is also the king of sound effects...
sirens
trains
cars
motorcycles. One of our friends has one and he has seen him start it up, so now when he gets on his riding toys he has to "start" them.

He still wants to be outside ALL day, he would never come in if I didn't make him. He loves to vacuum, which is good because we just bought a Kirby yesterday. OMG. Talk about some bucks. But its SO dusty here and I was saving for a new one.

Asheby loves to dance too. He has a ballerina dance, a bouncing his booty dance, a side to side dance.

Congrats on a 1000 Katie!! I'm catching up to you!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#78 of 367 Old 05-06-2008, 01:15 PM

You are catching up to me! So close ... What is it about being a senior member that is so dang exciting???

#79 of 367 Old 05-06-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You are catching up to me! So close ... What is it about being a senior member that is so dang exciting???
Not sure...I know I couldn't wait either...
#80 of 367 Old 05-06-2008, 09:00 PM

Congratulations, senior members!! Any tips for those of us lagging pitifully behind?

#81 of 367 Old 05-06-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypixiemama View Post
Congratulations, senior members!! Any tips for those of us lagging pitifully behind?
um, talk more?
#82 of 367 Old 05-06-2008, 10:53 PM

LOL! See in real life, I get told I talk a little bit too much. I wonder why I censor myself online - it is supposed to be the opposite!

Hey, how bruised up are all your little ones? DD is such a climber that her shinds are a MESS!

Anyone try arnica on their little ones? Is it safe for children? I have some but haven't used it yet.

Have a great night!

#83 of 367 Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 PM

Asheby has bruises all over his knees and shins, and occasionally his head. From hitting it on the dining room table.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#84 of 367 Old 05-06-2008, 11:48 PM

I've used arnica on DD. It's a-okay for kids from what I've read. It worked great!!

Crunchy mama to my beans (11/06 and 6/04): and with DH since '02. Expected a May flower and got a June bug!
#85 of 367 Old 05-07-2008, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Arnica is amazing and we've used it on DD. Orally and in a cream form.
#86 of 367 Old 05-07-2008, 01:45 AM

We use Arnica all the time with Magnus, especially bumps on the head. We has a particularly bad night tonight he threw a 20 minutes fit trying to climb up on a book shelf that's near a huge set of windows. I kept taking him down he kept going back and trying to climb up. I totally was losing it and he was hysterical I finally decided to take him to the bath and that changed the tide till he started dumping water all over the floor: He's finally asleep I'm glad this day is over.
#87 of 367 Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 AM

no bruises yet, but a scraped up knee for sure

#88 of 367 Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypixiemama View Post
Hey, how bruised up are all your little ones? DD is such a climber that her shinds are a MESS!

Anyone try arnica on their little ones? Is it safe for children? I have some but haven't used it yet.
We have a bruiser too and arnica has worked great.

MPSsweetie - it's a fight to get DD to come inside too. Although it causes a stir, I'm glad that she is an 'outside kid' KWIM? I'd cry if I had a child who wanted to be inside all the time.

We are weaned It has been hard on us all but DD's handling better than expected. The days were easy, the nights were something else. I was convinced that co-sleeping and weaning couldn't happen but it has so I am thankful. I am happy knowing that we lasted 18 months, although I feel a tinge of sadness about the issue but then I remind myself why I wanted to wean in the first place. DD has since developed a great affinity to a blanket (binkit as she calls it) and we've settled into a nice night-time routine with yogurt, ice water (won't drink water w/out ice) and reading stories in bed.

Do we have any fellow runners in the group? DD seems to think it's a game to starting running towards the road and I have to run after her. Usually, we've found that by not acknowledging her less-than-desirable behaviors will usually quell them. BUT - I can't not run after her since I don't want her to go in the road. How should I be handling this? I want her to realize that running in or near the road is unacceptable. Most of the time we are in the backyard, which is fenced, but we do spend a bit of time in the front yard. Fortunately, we live on a cul-de-sac with one other house and zero traffic but she needs to know that no road is safe.

\m/

#89 of 367 Old 05-07-2008, 02:27 PM

I think we just need to post more. :-)
#90 of 367 Old 05-07-2008, 02:29 PM

UGH I have a runner too. I live in the country so it's not a big deal too much but parking lots, etc. are a problem when I'm in town.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page