"I no love mama." - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-04-2008, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"I love Daddy. I love (DD). But... I no love mama. I no love you mama!"

DS has said that a few times... he's 2 1/2. What's up with that? I assume he's just experimenting, but of course it bugs me. He never says he loves me or likes me, isn't very affectionate with me, and lately he's been saying this.
#2 of 11 Old 05-04-2008, 02:30 AM

He's 2....don't take it personally mama.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#3 of 11 Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 AM

What a little stinker! I can relate....my son jumps up and down "daddy, daddy, daddy!!!!" when we come in from being out....he just ignores me! It must be that mother-son complex relationship developing!

You know he really loves you though, right?

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#4 of 11 Old 05-04-2008, 10:14 AM

I think all of my kids have gone through this... think about it: you are the one who probably does the most of the disciplining, esp if you are a sahm. sooo in a 2 yr olds brain - mommys mean because she told me not to do such and such and i dont love her. its just what 2 yr olds do.. he loves you and doesnt even really grasp what love means at 2 yrs old. hang in there..
#5 of 11 Old 05-04-2008, 10:42 AM

My son is 2.5 and I do not think he has an understanding of the concept of "love" in the sense that we love people no matter what they do, etc. - I believe at this point, he understands it as a temporary emotion & conditional upon behavior, etc.

When my son has told me that, I have responded "Well, I love YOU!" and just left it at that.

I did jokingly say once "Maybe tomorrow, then?" and he gravely replied "Yes, tomorrow. I can love you tomorrow." -- but I think I was reinforcing the idea of a temporary emotion and kind of dropped that kind of kidding.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#6 of 11 Old 05-04-2008, 01:25 PM

I wouldn't think much of it. Yesterday my son got mad at my husband (I think he wouldn't let him watch a movie or something like this) and he decided he wanted a "new dad."
#7 of 11 Old 05-04-2008, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD (3 1/2) has started saying "I love daddy more" and don't you know that is like being backstabbed!!! Of course I know she's not serious, I mean he never even woke up when she was hungry and wanting to nurse for a yr+ or knows how to decipher her toddler language...I think he's conditioning her! :

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#8 of 11 Old 05-05-2008, 03:30 PM

DS (2-1/2) would say things like "I no love mummy. Mummy go to work, please. Daddy come home." What is it they say about familiarity breeds contempt?
It used to bother me a lot, but now I kind of roll my eyes about it and try to remember that he really does love me.

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#9 of 11 Old 05-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Eh dont take it personally.
#10 of 11 Old 05-05-2008, 04:09 PM

"That is okay. I still love you."
#11 of 11 Old 05-05-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeter9 View Post
"That is okay. I still love you."
Well said. He's just testing his borders, his momma's reactions. And look, it bugs you - and actually, that is probably a good thing. You are aware, wondering, and slightly wounded by it. I think our children can send the largest daggers into our hearts, intentionally or not.

My SIL used to say to her DS "who do you love the most?" and she would force him to answer. Of course the "right" answer was mommy, not daddy, and he knew that and said it. How awful is that? Sorry for the thread hijack. Back to the topic. I hope your DS stops soon, until then I agree with Dementer9.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page