Toddler Help - He is driving me crazy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-08-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My almost 3 year old wants me to repeat EVERYTHING he says, really, everything. It drives me insane. He will say it over and over and over and over and over again until I repeat it. Most days I don't mind but sometimes it just drives me up the wall! Especially if I am trying to do something, or get the baby to sleep, etc.

Does anyone else's toddler do this?

What can I do to get him to stop or just lessen it? I don't mind doing it some but not with every single thing he says!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 PM

my dd does not do this, but if she did I would call it the 'repeating game' and tell her that we could play it but that sometimes mommy doesn't want to play it... ie: say this mommy... "no sweetie I don't want to play the reapeat game right now, etc....

maybe a toy microphone that repeats what he says would be a good toy for him.
#3 of 8 Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwind View Post
my dd does not do this, but if she did I would call it the 'repeating game' and tell her that we could play it but that sometimes mommy doesn't want to play it... ie: say this mommy... "no sweetie I don't want to play the reapeat game right now, etc....

maybe a toy microphone that repeats what he says would be a good toy for him.
This sounds like a good idea. I'd be very careful about when you say yes and no to the repeating game. Meaning, if it's an okay time for you to play, don't say no out of habit. Say yes so that when you really do not want to play you know you've had a few sessions. The other thing is to play and set limits. "When the clock says 3:45 I will stop playing." When it is time to stop or when you say no stick by your guns and don't give in. Suggest a different, equally fun game so that he leaves you alone and associates no meaning no.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 8 Old 05-08-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

But he's not doing it as a game. it is for everything he says. Like say he is playing with his toys. He will say "ready set go racecar' and he will say it a million times until I finally repeat him. Or "oh no what happened to the monster truck" and I'll say "oh it looks like it fell over or something" like that he still wants me to say "oh no what happened to the monster truck". Same thing like he will say "you need to change your diaper" (that's how he asks to change his diaper) he will say it 100 times until I say it. Even if I acknowledge and say something like "OK, I'll change your diaper", he will repeat it like HE said it until I do. It's like that with everything, those are just examples. And he doesn't think it's funny, he thinks that's how it goes. He's not laughing at it or trying to get me to play or anything, it's just how he talks it seems.

#5 of 8 Old 05-08-2008, 08:25 PM

How funny! Well, I suppose if I didn't feel like repeating something, I would just refuse. I would say "Yes, I know that you want me to say the same as you just said, but I'm a bit tired of it now. I don't want to do it." He can't force you, after all!

Maybe I would have tried to say something just a little different to what he said, in a joking way, to change it into a different game. Like if he said "Here's the monster truck" I could say "Here's the monster... CROCODILE!" (or whatever my son was into at the moment) and have a crocodile puppet come and tickle him or something.

I don't know if this would work for you, those are just my immediate ideas.
#6 of 8 Old 05-09-2008, 03:00 AM

My dd does something kind of like this sometimes. She makes pronouncements and basically wants me (or another nearby adult) to affirm them. Like she'll build a tower out of blocks and say, "That's a really big tower!" and she'll repeat it until someone says, "That's right--that IS a really big tower!" DD doesn't do this ALL the time but when she is in that mode, she does insist that her words be repeated. If I don't repeat it/affirm it, then she tends to break down and cry or at least pout really heavily. She tends to do this when she feels she has accomplished something or said something important. I sometimes feel like I gush over everything she does so much that she can't stand being unacknowledged... maybe I've turned her into a praise junky. Anyway, it's really hard to expect a child so young not to be so self-absorbed. Once they get older and can understand other people's feelings and needs, I imagine that kind of stuff will go away.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#7 of 8 Old 05-09-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymichel View Post
My dd does something kind of like this sometimes. She makes pronouncements and basically wants me (or another nearby adult) to affirm them. Like she'll build a tower out of blocks and say, "That's a really big tower!" and she'll repeat it until someone says, "That's right--that IS a really big tower!" DD doesn't do this ALL the time but when she is in that mode, she does insist that her words be repeated. If I don't repeat it/affirm it, then she tends to break down and cry or at least pout really heavily. She tends to do this when she feels she has accomplished something or said something important. I sometimes feel like I gush over everything she does so much that she can't stand being unacknowledged... maybe I've turned her into a praise junky. Anyway, it's really hard to expect a child so young not to be so self-absorbed. Once they get older and can understand other people's feelings and needs, I imagine that kind of stuff will go away.

This is exactly how I feel! I think I created a monster. We were so happy that he was talking at first that we did repeat a lot of what he said. And yes praise junky is a good word. Now I see the problem with that, when he was yonger I didn't think you could praise too much. And I don't mind acknowledging him for something he accomplishes but this is for every day stuff, getting old!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to work on it, and just talk to him like I would normally talk to anyone else (ie not repeating stuff) and hopefully it will wear off after a while if I just don't give in to it.

#8 of 8 Old 05-10-2008, 01:02 AM

That's another thing. When my dd first starting putting together sentences, she'd say things like, "The kid blah blah the baby blah blah swing," and I'd say, "That's right! That little girl is pushing the baby in the swing," because that's what she meant. But now dd talks just fine and typically doesn't need me to repeat and fix up her sentences... but I think she got a little hooked on that sort of affirmation. I agree. I need to consistently talk to her like I talk to anyone else. It's hard to break myself of some of these ridiculous speech habits, like talking about myself in third person.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page