"Hit the mommy. Hit the daddy!" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my 19 month old DS's new thing. For the last week or so, everything is about hitting people/animals/things. And he says it as he does it/is about to do it.

We don't hit. We have told him since he was able to raise a hand that we don't hit, that it hurts, that we like gentle touches. And now this has really ramped up. It is almost constant every day- the first words out of his mouth when he wakes up is "hit the Desi" (one of our dogs)

I Know this is a phase. And I watch him very closely, but I can NOT keep my eyeballs upon him EVERY second. He is running around hitting every one of our dogs, our cats (well, not the one smart enough to run in terror when he sees DS coming), us, and pretty much everything he can reach.

Other than continuing to repeat the "we don't hit, we like gentle touches" and putting him down if we are holding him, any other ideas to deter this behavior? Sometimes he does it, then immediately apologizes (without prompting) then does it again. I have told DH that it is an attention-getting technique (although why my constantly tended to, spend every second with, high needs DS needs MORE attention is beyond me)

Or should we just purchase body armor and ride it out??
Thanks!
Kelly

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#2 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 04:46 PM

How does he seem when he hits? Cheerful? Anxious? Angry?
#3 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 04:53 PM

We are having a very similar problem with ds (22 months). He thinks it is hilarious. Giggles everytime he hits me or daddy. Usually me. I try not to react other than to tell him "no hitting, we have gentle hands" or "mommy doesn't like hitting." followed by redirecting his activity... I don't really have any suggestions- hoping that others will give some advice!

Julie; happily married mamma to Wyatt (4) and Jonah (1.5)
#4 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 04:59 PM

We have two drums around the house that we use when we need to hit.
I say 'oh Cayden, we don't hit kitty, can you help me find the drum so we can hit that instead'
It goes with throwing things too 'we don't throw our blocks, lets find a ball to throw'

So basically try to find something they can do with that instinct.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#5 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 05:02 PM

When it's over-enthusiasm, I try to find something active for him to do like run around somewhere.
#6 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 05:33 PM

"bang DANG!" everytime our 20 mo dsgets going. Everything seems to be game. I'm trying to teach him. ..."no, not that. Don't bang that" "no hitting the dogs..."

a phase...

this too shall......pass..... "bang DANG"

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#7 of 7 Old 05-09-2008, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, he seems happy, gives this mischievous little grin. Sure, there are a few times when he does it out of anger, but it's mostly when he's happy.

Hmmmm...the drum is a good idea. We don't have anything REALLY meant for hitting, other than a ball. I've had him hit the couch before, but that's hard to move around, LOL if we are not in the family room.

My DH gets upset over this, and I keep telling him it's a phase. I am mostly worried he is going to hit hard enough to either seriously hurt the cat who DOESN'T run, or really piss off one of the dogs one day and get bit before I can intervene. Yes, I am ALWAYS watching them, but we all know how fast toddlers can move when they want to! Poor dogs!

Any other ideas?? Tahnks!

Kelly

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page