Long hair styles for boys - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 05-11-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any tips, pictures, or advice on growing out your boy's hair? We'd love for our straight-haired little boy to grow his hair out, but it is hanging in his eyes. If he was a girl, you could clip it, pull it back, etc. Any creative ways to get past this stage or tips on cutting it yourself? Thanks.
#2 of 45 Old 05-11-2008, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know if this will help but nobody else has responded yet so here goes. Once DS's hair got long enough to get in his eyes we just buzzed it short (around 30 months). For DD1, though, I just used gel to keep it out of her eyes. She wouldn't keep clips in anyway. DD2's hair isn't long enough yet but I'll probably use styling wax for her.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.
#3 of 45 Old 05-11-2008, 11:13 PM

I finally trimmed my 21mo's bangs a few weeks ago. It was the first time he'd ever had his hair cut. I left all his wonderful golden curls in the back. His curls plus his long eyelashes have somehow made him the target of multiple "Oh what a beautiful little girl you have!" comments I had to cut his bangs though, they were always sticky with food and poking him in the eyes.

Tips for cutting hair- I use an electric hair cutter, like the ones they use at salons, to cut my 2.5yo's hair (which we keep short because it will turn into a matted rats nest, we tried leaving it long and it was a disaster). I do keep his bangs long in the front and use regular scissors to trim them. The key is patience and LOTS of it. I've found that having them watch their favorite video while getting their hair cut is good at keeping them still.

It takes practice, and the first cut probably won't be the best, but you'll get the hang of it quickly (and depending on what kind of haircut you choose for your child you'll be doing this every 4 weeks at least!)

It is very likely that at some point you'll have a boo boo with the scissors, especially when the child jerks away or moves suddenly. Try not to make a huge deal out of it, stick a band-aid on the ouchie and continue like nothing happened.
#4 of 45 Old 05-11-2008, 11:13 PM

ds2 is a long haired 2 1/2 year old, and his hair is finally long enough that it isn't in his eyes. We really just had to wait out the hair in the face stage. now that his "bangs" are a bit longer than the bottom of his chin, it really just lays nicely around his face. We did go through quite a few months of hair in the face, but it never really bothered him. I even tried clips in his hair, but he didn't leave them in.
#5 of 45 Old 05-11-2008, 11:50 PM

Why? I just don't understand growing a toddler boys hair. If it's an older boy & that's what he wants, it's one thing. But why grow a little boys hair so it can be hot, in his eyes, sticking to his neck, in his food, so he's mistaken for a girl. Not my thing.
#6 of 45 Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdoula View Post
Why? I just don't understand growing a toddler boys hair. If it's an older boy & that's what he wants, it's one thing. But why grow a little boys hair so it can be hot, in his eyes, sticking to his neck, in his food, so he's mistaken for a girl. Not my thing.
What? Is there a law that says boys have to have short hair? How come girls are allowed to be hot, have hair in their eyes, sticking to their necks, in food etc....???
My boy has long hair. His bangs are trimmed so his hair isn't in his eyes. He certainly doesn't get hot because of it! It doesn't get in his food!

Guess what else?? SHOCK HORROR!! I tie his hair up with a hair tye and he looks a bit like a girl. But I DON'T CARE!
Noluco likes this.
#7 of 45 Old 05-11-2008, 11:59 PM

If you click on the link in my siggy I just put up a pic of my DS from today. His hair is long... and stays in his eyes.... but we are starting to be able to push it over to the side. I have put clips in it before and headbands and he pulls them out and breaks them. lol ... It has a tiny bit to go before it will fit behind his ears. My DH refuses to have it cut!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#8 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 AM

My youngest is almost 3 and has never had anything more than one or two trims, but he has curly blonde ringlets and it doesn't really present a problem as far as his eyes - I have trimmed above his eyes, but it curls up and away from his eyes. He does get a few comments about being a girl, but he's quite boyish in the face and most people have no problem with it (as if I'd care!) anyway.

I've asked him if he wants it cut like his 4yo brother and he is insistant that it stay long, and he's so cute as is, I'm fine with it.

That doesn't help your straight-haired little guy, but I just wanted to say if it looks cute long, leave it long. If he's old enough ask him if he wants it cut (short "like Daddy" or whatever) and if he says yes, then it might be time to cut it.
#9 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 12:17 AM

Well DS's is very nearly to his waist now so its plenty long enough to tuck behind his ears. We haven't cut it at all, not even bangs.

We generally put it in a low ponytail (cool irish soccer player style, as his dad says LOL) during messy meals or during physical therapy, the park, etc.

A few pics.

Hair up. (It is possible to make it a lot tidier than this but he had just woken up after falling asleep in the car...)
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/DSCN4422.jpg

Hair down.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/DSCN4378.jpg

Older pic, but you can see it better here.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/DSCN3567.jpg

ETA: I promise that's drool on his face in that second pic, not snot. LOL

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#10 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:

I dare you to come ask my 2 1/2 year old if he wants a haircut! he doesn't talk much, but he'll run away yelling NOOOOOO! And he knows what a haircut is. So people think he's a girl - big whoop. It probably doens't help that he likes pink, purple, and butterflies. Oh well.
#11 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 01:41 AM

my 5.5yo has long hair...we have only trimmed it twice...when it was growing out, we just pulled his hair back in little ponytails until it was long enough to not hang in his face...now that it is long, we often pull it back in a braid so that it is off his neck while he is playing...

you can see him here...

peace...
margaret

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#12 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 01:43 AM

Carly you son is gorgeous!! I adore his look

My son has curly hair though, and we just open the cury bangs, so no problems there.
I'll say just trim the bangs when they're getting to long.
#13 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 01:56 AM

My DS will be 3 this month and never had a cut not even a trim. I'd like to get it cut so it is less mulletish but he likes it and just brushes his hair out of his eyes himself. I've asked him a few times especially after a frien has gotten a hair cut if he wants it cut. He just tell me, "Now way man"

Megan ~ mama to the Mountain Man (05.30.05) and married to the Rad Man
If I'm not riding my bike I'm reading. Still trying to put the best of both world together.
#14 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 02:05 AM

My dad circa 1930.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#15 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 02:13 AM

Here is my ds from the back

and from the front
#16 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 02:19 AM

I only have experience with DD, and of course I can use all the cute clips I want! (providing she'll leave them in! ) So most of the time it's just in her eyes and it is no bother to her.

But if your LO is going to be playing, or eating somethingmessy, what about throwing on a hat...like a backwards ball cap or something to keep it back?

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#17 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 02:21 AM

We are in hot humid Florida, so while I think he would be happier with short hair, it is not really an option as DS flails dangerously when scissors or clippers approach him. He had one successful haircut at 18 months (also the occasion of his first ever lollipop. Coincidence? I think not), and one much less successful one a few months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Well DS's is very nearly to his waist now so its plenty long enough to tuck behind his ears. We haven't cut it at all, not even bangs.

We generally put it in a low ponytail (cool irish soccer player style, as his dad says LOL) during messy meals or during physical therapy, the park, etc.

A few pics.

Hair up. (It is possible to make it a lot tidier than this but he had just woken up after falling asleep in the car...)
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/DSCN4422.jpg

Hair down.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/DSCN4378.jpg

Older pic, but you can see it better here.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/DSCN3567.jpg

ETA: I promise that's drool on his face in that second pic, not snot. LOL
He is adorable! Love the long hair, and the Irish footballer comment!

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#18 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 02:35 AM

OOOOOOOOOhhh! I can't wait until DS's hair gets lovely and long. I have no intention of cutting it beyond a trim to keep it nice. We did cut off his baby mullet about a month ago. It was very traumatic.

I will only cut DS's hair if he asks for it or if it becomes downright unruly and a struggle to keep maintained. But he has hair just like I did as a LO, that is stick straight and doesn't really snarl even though it is super thick.
#19 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 03:32 AM

I'm with Ziggysmama (as usual ).

I don't care if anyone thinks my son is a girl because he has long hair (and many do), both him and his hair are gorgeous. What's wrong with being a girl?

I put his hair up in cute buns, ponytails, braids, whatever (depending on the squirmy toddler factor that day). I won't cut his hair or allow his hair to be cut unless *he* wants it to be. His hair, his choice. As of this moment, he'd run screaming from anyone who tried to make him sit still long enough to lop it off.

It's going to be hard to teach our sons not to hate/disrespect women if we don't stop playing into the notion that it's somehow bad or wrong to be a girl, or to be associated with anything girly. It's going to be hard to teach our daughters to love themselves and expect to be respected by themselves, each other, and boys if we don't stop playing into the notion that it's somehow bad or wrong to be a girl, or for boys to associate with anything girly.

Seriously, can we stop with the girl-hating? Teaching boys or allowing other people to teach them that it's shameful or embarrassing or bad to be associated with anything girly, and by extension teaching our daughters this, is girl-hatred. Plain and simple. It hurts all of us, and the cycle feeds on itself and is continued on through the generations...unless we stop being a part of it, and stop making a big deal out of boys only being able to act a certain way, look a certain way, and do certain things, and girls only being able to act a certain way, look a certain way, and do certain things.

There's nothing wrong with being a girl, or a boy. There's nothing wrong with girls wearing blue and suspenders or boys wearing pink and ponytails. Do we have to gender-code everything, right down to hairstyles for freak's sake? I mean, my son looks *adorable* in pig-tails...what's wrong with that?
#20 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 05:23 AM
Banned

Great post CJ....
#21 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjuniverse View Post

It's going to be hard to teach our sons not to hate/disrespect women if we don't stop playing into the notion that it's somehow bad or wrong to be a girl, or to be associated with anything girly. It's going to be hard to teach our daughters to love themselves and expect to be respected by themselves, each other, and boys if we don't stop playing into the notion that it's somehow bad or wrong to be a girl, or for boys to associate with anything girly.

Seriously, can we stop with the girl-hating? Teaching boys or allowing other people to teach them that it's shameful or embarrassing or bad to be associated with anything girly, and by extension teaching our daughters this, is girl-hatred. Plain and simple. It hurts all of us, and the cycle feeds on itself and is continued on through the generations...unless we stop being a part of it, and stop making a big deal out of boys only being able to act a certain way, look a certain way, and do certain things, and girls only being able to act a certain way, look a certain way, and do certain things.

Gotta say, I'm not sure how people not wanting their son to be taken for a girl, or for *thinking* about it, is "girl hating".

From my son's experiences with long hair (before an ill-fated trip to trim his bangs at the hair place, ugh) it's the GIRLS being rude about it to him. It's the girls asking their parents why a boy looks like them, it's the parents of girls asking about my daughter and giving weird looks when I said he's a boy.

And it was my son's feelings that were getting hurt when excluded from girls playing, b/c he was a boy, and that he was weird b/c he had long hair.

But then we managed to get the former kid's hair stylist cutting DH's hair while the "I have three boys and they have SHORT hair and I don't understand how you want me to trim his hair" stylist got DS, and by the time I saw what she was doing it was toooooo late, and my time as a long-haired-boy's mama was done (no one had interest in growing it out).

To the posters wondering how to trim the hair...that's exactly what my question was at the time. His bangs were straight and the rest of his hair was curly, and I find that an odd look in adults, and it was bugging me on him and he wasn't sitting still for me. That's why I took him to the above stylist, for ideas. OOPS. If you do that, and if the stylist makes comments like "mine" did, get your boy out of the chair. Quickly.
#22 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 09:10 AM

Late on the thread but... Oh well.

Long haired son (no hair cut to date since birth...) pushes it out his way. Doesn't seem to get in his food. In winter we wear knit hats. In other times we try other hats. We try to read him and respond accordingly: take off hat, put on hat, hood, sun glasses... whatever works.

People often say "she" or "girl" or "her" when meeting for first time. We respond with the appropriate pronoun and go from there.
#23 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 01:31 PM

On the subject of being mistaken for a girl. DS now has short hair (not super short, but definitely not long anymore.) He had sort of longish hair for a while, but I gave up when it started constantly getting glued to his face with a runny nose. As a baby he had nothing but light fluff for a while.

When does he get mistaken for a girl? Always!!! Short hair doesn't help, dressing him in head to toe blue doesn't help, even in overalls with cowboys he gets mistaken for a girl.

So, why do people always think my child, whom I do pretty much dress like a boy, is a girl?
"but he's too pretty/beautiful/cute to be a boy"
Wouldn't you know it boys are supposed to be ugly.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#24 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Short hair is what is going on in our house at the moment, and is what work for us. Yes many people think eldest DD is a boy, dispite the pink, and many people think DS is a girl dispite the cowboy boots and motorcycle shirts, what can you do?

Anyway when we had long hair we did a lot of barretts etc because of the in the eyes, food, snot factors.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#25 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
What's so bad about being mistaken for a girl?
I will not cut my son's hair until he asks. In our family, we try to preserve our child's right to make his own choices. One of the ways we do this is by trying to keep his clothing, toys and our language somewhat gender neutral.
#26 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 04:56 PM

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I just had to respond. My son is 4 and his hair is about down to his chin, apart from his fringe which is short, I only cut his fringe to keep the hair out of his eyes, but now I really like the look. I started growing his hair initially because he HATES getting his hair cut, and I mean HATES. He wants it long and it does not bother me, he looks sweet!

Ironically my daughter, who is 2 has really short hair, not by choice it just hasn't grown, she always gets mistaken for a boy despite the frills and the pink!!
#27 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 05:39 PM

i have 2 sons.

DS1 Short, straight, doesnt suit him long, he likes to get designs shaved in the sides during half term/summer etc

DS2 thick, curly, longish, looks wicked, i love it
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ummyv2/328.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...myv2/352-1.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ummyv2/469.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ummyv2/492.jpg

kiz
#28 of 45 Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 PM

the best thing we did was to clip it at night when they are sleeping (i actually did this with my daughter, too, since i really hate bangs). if you keep up with it and especially make sure you do it when the hair is wet, it will train the hair to grow that way.
#29 of 45 Old 05-13-2008, 12:49 AM

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Arts/T...ThBoyGoose.jpg

This is an option ... the good old topknot.

My son sports sort of a classic Christopher Robin doo. (Not the Disney version, the original illustrations.)
#30 of 45 Old 05-13-2008, 08:03 PM

Just wanted to say that I envy your dilemma. Ds is 2 and still has only a wisp of hair. No haircuts required.

I love long hair on boys. If you make it practical, that's great! At the rate we're going, ds will be 5 before there will be any decisions to made regarding hair dos.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page