tiny organic underwear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter will probably be ready to try underwear in the next month or two, so I've been looking for some online. I'd like to get organic, but I can't find any small enough. She's about 23-24 pounds and has a tiny little butt! Any suggestions?
#2 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 PM

There are lots to choose from here: http://www.theecstore.com/index.php?...527c9dbc5af5d5

I think all the ones listed are organic, they're made by Under the Nile.
#3 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 PM

#4 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 10:15 PM

oh my gosh, thank you for posting that link katemum! i was just coming here to ask something similair... my boy is interested in the potty and i bought him some extra small cotton toddler underpants and ran them through the dryer a few times and they are still falling off of his skinny bottom! he is about 22 lbs and has a tiny butt, too.
#5 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

How do the Hanna ones run? I can't imagine how something that's supposed to fit up to 33 pounds would also fit a toddler 10 pounds lighter very well. Those EC store ones look great. I looked at UTN first, but they don't sell those at their own site. $8 a pop seems like a lot, though--how many pairs of undies does one kid need, anyway?
#6 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
$8 a pop seems like a lot, though--how many pairs of undies does one kid need, anyway?
I think that is a lot personally for one pair of undies. My DD started PLing at 20 months, and she is now 24 months and still having accidents. The days she's at school she doesn't have accidents, but at home when she's preoccupied with something. We have at least 12 pairs of underwear (some are at school, some are in the bag for outings, and some in the drawer). I tried to get by on less, but on a bad day we could go through 4 pairs.

She wears the Gerber training underwear (cotton but thicker quilting in the middle). They are (obviously) not organic, but they are wonderful. When she has an accident it doesn't gush down her legs because of the extra quilting. They are soft and comfy. And they are about $6.50 for 3 pairs.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#7 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 10:47 PM

Just looked at the link, and wanted to add that I'd seriously consider the training underwear before going to just regular underwear. That extra quilting makes a big difference in the mess factor of potty learning. They still get wet, but not gushing down the legs craziness.

Also, DD is a skinny one (26 lbs and VERY tall) and they fit nicely on her (2t size).

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#8 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 11:35 PM

I have found that tight or leggings help oversized panties stay on small hineys. They also help keep urine off the floor.

My daughter wears the size 24 month gerber trainers, they are still a bit big but the dryer has shrunk them alot. In the begening she had the kushies all in one trainers in s/p they fit well
#9 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 PM

Don't forget http://www.continuum-family.com/inde...ex&cPath=11_32

She has various styles of training pants as well as her own tiny undies -- they fit great, DD was one of the testers. They are in the $7 each range... but they DO last awhile. She has organic as well as regular jersey, and bamboo undies too.

Also remember that the reason some of those other undies are so cheap is because they're MIC... If you want to support fair labour and fair wages, and support ecological fabric production, you do have to pay for it.

In other words, it's not that these clothes are overpriced. Most clothes are artificially UNDERpriced, which has gotten us accustomed to unrealistic expectation for clothing costs!

Anyway, to save a little money you can use my referral code HD0042 at continuum-family. You get 10% off your first purchase and I get a referral bonus.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#10 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post

In other words, it's not that these clothes are overpriced. Most clothes are artificially UNDERpriced, which has gotten us accustomed to unrealistic expectation for clothing costs!
good point. and I certainly see the good intentions behind buying organic when its possible. however, I have to wonder why she is selling Gerber training pants for substantially more than what they cost in the store? ($9.95 for a 3 pack). If the prices are strictly because the clothes are not MIC, then the Gerber pants shouldn't have a 50% markup.

XOXO
B

ETA: I just saw the website is canadian. Perhaps that is why the prices are so much higher?

#11 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 12:09 AM

Hmm... I would expect that the price is just related to whatever price she's able to get them at. I don't know if the Gerber pants are more expensive here in Canada or not... these days most things are pretty much at par, but it depends. Some things have a lot of import duties or higher shipping costs, etc.

I've always found her prices to be very fair (especially her homemade stuff). I honestly don't know how much those undies would go for in the store!

(That just shows how rarely I even buy baby stuff in a brick-and-mortar store lol...)

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#12 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
thanks for sharing this site!
#13 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 07:38 AM

i like IMSE VIMSEs...and we have HA's also..my 25 lb'er can wear the XS.
#14 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 AM

H&M has organic children's underpants if you live close to one.
#15 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 AM

The Under the Nile organic training undies are very tiny, especially after washing. The small size would easily fit a 20-lber (they fit my EC baby at about 4 months! But he was a CHUB).

Honestly, I didn't find "training" undies to be that helpful. My kids would feel like they had a (cloth) diaper on, and were much more likely to have accidents wearing undies than going commando. Unless your LO is having poop accidents (in which case I see how the undies could be better than nothing), 100% cotton training pants aren't really going to contain much of the accident anyway. Maybe I was just lucky because my kids really only had a couple of accidents each (after I ditched the padded undies), but for us the training pants were a totally unnecessary investment.

I'm planning to skip the padded undies stage this time around (I'm hoping my 1-yo will ditch his diapers this summer with lots of naked time).

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#16 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 02:43 PM

The XS Hannas fit my 25 lb DD very well. I got mine from ebay since they were cheaper.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#17 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Don't forget http://www.continuum-family.com/inde...ex&cPath=11_32

She has various styles of training pants as well as her own tiny undies -- they fit great, DD was one of the testers. They are in the $7 each range... but they DO last awhile. She has organic as well as regular jersey, and bamboo undies too.
The Continuum-Family underwear fit my DD quite well. The elastic around the legs helps. She is about 35 inches and 24 lbs, so on the lean side.
#18 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 04:30 PM

How about some Little Beetle trainers- organic velour or wool. I *think* orders and shipments may be delayed, though, bc some of the storms over the weekend damaged the house/office where the business is located.
~maddymama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page