Allergic to hummus? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2008, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD looked like that too. Fine when she ate neatly and didn't get it all over her face, all rashy when she got it on her cheeks. She has a dairy allergy and so I was worried she had another allergy. So I put a dab on my face and a dab on DH's to see what would happen. We had the same reaction as her, so I didn't worry about it. I figure some things (like garlic or lemon juice) are always goint to irritate your skin.

: 10/06 : 10/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 AM

I would also guess the sesame or the lemon juice. I found a recipe once for hummos with yogurt. I'll try to look for it again...

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 12-08-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolalight View Post
No, I never did figure it out. I've tried different brands, haven't made my own. It is mild, it sure doesn't seem to bother him, and it goes away pretty quickly.
Sounds like lemon juice. Hummus is so easy to make and way cheaper than buying it.

1 can chickpeas, drained and liquid reserved (garbanzo beans) or 1 cup dried, soaked overnight and cooked until soft
1 tbsp tahin (sesame paste), optional
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1-2 tsp lemon juice, optional
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt to taste

Mash all together in a bowl or whirl in a food processor or Magic Bullet until desired consistency, adding EVOO and reserved liquid from chickpeas as needed.

For a change in taste, you can add ground cumin, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, olive paste, or oregano. I also like to add Cavender's Greek Seasoning sometimes or a blend of Middle Eastern spices available from The World Market.

FYI--cooked chickpeas freeze really well, so if you want to cook a batch of them but only want to use a little for hummus, you can put the rest in a freezer bag and store in the freezer until ready to use. Or you can divide them up into ice cube trays and freeze for one-serving cubes later on. Especially helpful if you have a Magic Bullet or mini food processor and want to make it fresh each time.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettymom View Post
DD looked like that too. Fine when she ate neatly and didn't get it all over her face, all rashy when she got it on her cheeks. She has a dairy allergy and so I was worried she had another allergy. So I put a dab on my face and a dab on DH's to see what would happen. We had the same reaction as her, so I didn't worry about it. I figure some things (like garlic or lemon juice) are always goint to irritate your skin.
This is such a great idea; I had to try it myself. I put some of the hummus on my face and let it sit for 10 min. I had a red spot after I washed it off, not as bright as my son's, but still pretty visible. I'm going to try to just give him some tahini paste, just to make sure it's not the sesame. He's had sesame seeds before, without a problem, but in the tahini, they're ground up, so I thought it may be different from having a whole seed that doesn't even get processed by his system yet.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM

I'm going with lemon. We have to watch dd with citrus because she gets rashy too.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:59 PM

You can substitute peanut butter for tahini also, if there is an allergy.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Since you aren't making it homemade it could be a perservative or additive that he is reacting to. I'd try making some from scratch and see if that clears it up.
Agreed.

My ds1 got the same rash as a toddler if I had store-bought hummus. When I made it from scratch, though, he was fine.

ETA: I use the same recipe Turkish Kate posted.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:44 PM

My vote is tahini. It's SOOOOO easy to make hummus at home, we always make it minus the tahini (though Ilana can have it now so we're o.k.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMama2007 View Post
You can substitute peanut butter for tahini also, if there is an allergy.
I'm not sure it's the best idea to substitute another high allergen food for another.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 12-10-2008, 01:07 PM

My son gets this same rash! I need to find the time to make some on my own because he loves it but I'm thinking its the sasame oil or tahini. I like the idea of making it with yogurt though. I'm sure it would make it creamy!

SAHM to DS (4-07) and DD (3-09)
Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I bought some plain tahini today, no preservatives or additives, just sesame paste. Not very yummy by itself, but I got ds to take a little bit of it. So far, no rash! I'm pretty sure then it must've been the lemon juice in the tahini (or possibly some additive) irritating his skin right where he rubbed it on his face.

User Tag List