Do crooked baby teeth = crooked adult teeth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, ummmm, do they?

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#2 of 11 Old 05-16-2008, 02:39 PM

I don't think so.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 11 Old 05-16-2008, 02:58 PM

Lord, I hope not. My son has teeth like Spongebob.
#4 of 11 Old 05-16-2008, 04:04 PM

Maybe, maybe not. DId you have crooked teeth? Because the farther apart the baby teeth are the more room the permanent teeth have to grow in.

My son has teeth just like my husband and I both have. Although I have had braces. I asked my friend (dentist) what she thought. Don't worry about it until they are around 7. That is when they may need to have an ortho evaluation, if you have concerns. Not necessarily starting braces that young or anything, but just to take a proactive approach.

Can you tell I've worked in Dental?
#5 of 11 Old 05-16-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

My adult teeth in the front (all 8) came in before my baby teeth fell out, and I ended up with braces. As far as I can remember, though, my baby teeth were straight. DS's are coming in perfectly straight as well, although there is very little space between them.

My question is about the toddler that I do childcare for. His bottom front teeth seem really crooked to me. They are not crowded, just turned a bit. Hopefully his adult teeth will all come in straight. Just thought I would ask here to see if anyone knew if there was a corelation.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#6 of 11 Old 05-16-2008, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All of my DC's bottom teeth have been quite crooked when they came in - sort of twisted like you described. The baby teeth themselves seemed to straighten out. DD1's permanent teeth on the bottom are straight - we'll see how they stay when her other permanent teeth come in.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.
#7 of 11 Old 05-17-2008, 01:26 AM

I think it just depends on heredity, mouth structure, etc. My sister had straight baby teeth, crooked adult teeth. I had straight baby teeth and relatively straight adult teeth.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#8 of 11 Old 05-17-2008, 12:43 PM

I dont' think so.
My DD has had lovely baby teeth, but her permanents are coming in all funky, I am hoping it is just because she is small and they will straighten as she gets older like mine did. She got her baby teeth early, @4 months, and she started getting her permanents at 5. She is the envy of all her little friends, who are 7 and haven't lost any teeth yet.

I am so hoping to avoid the whole head gear thing that DH and all his sibs had.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#9 of 11 Old 05-17-2008, 12:54 PM

Supposedly, extended breastfeeding can help widen the palate so teeth have more room.
#10 of 11 Old 05-17-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCrisp View Post
Supposedly, extended breastfeeding can help widen the palate so teeth have more room.
This is good to know. We are still going strong bf'ing with no end in sight. I am planning on CLW all the way. :

#11 of 11 Old 05-18-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCrisp View Post

That is very interesting, I've never heard of it. I opened this thread not because my DD has crooked teeth, but because they are all really widely spaced. I wondered if that is a good thing, meaning her adult teeth will be straight and not crowded or if she will have some big gaps.
As far as heredity, there is a big spectrum. DH and his family all have really, really crooked and crowded teeth, almost all requiring orthodontics. My dad had a large gap in his front teeth (fixed with dental work) and my brother has a small one between the front teeth. I have really straight teeth and have never had any work done.

Probably all I can do is wait and see, huh?

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page