Fun Things To Do - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#21 of 42 Old 04-03-2002, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to do something along the lines of finger painting with my son. He is eighteen moths old, so things still go in his mouth. I want to make sure whatever goes into his mouth is not going to upset his tummy. I have been looking for fingerpaints for him for a few weeks, but no luck so far.

What kinds of things can I use to make finger paint for him that will not taste yucky or hurt him ?????Thanks !
#22 of 42 Old 04-03-2002, 05:16 AM

Here you go:

Playgough
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup oil (I usually use canola, but any is fine)
Mix all ingredients in a large pan. Cook over med. heat, stirring constantly until stiff ball forms. Remove from heat. Put on cutting board and knead in food coloring (or Kool-aid, which gives very cool color and scent too!) until evenly mixed. Keep at room temperature in plastic bag or air-tight container. Usually last several weeks before it gets grungy.

I think it would be fine for a 13 mo. old, even if she ate some, there's nothing in it that would hurt her. I think we started playing with it about that age.

Here's a simple finger paint recipe:
mix equal parts tempera paint, liquid starch and ivory soap flakes. I couldn't find soap flakes at my grocery store, so I just used the starch and paint and it worked ok. If you get special finger paint paper it works better, the paper is really smooth and glossy so the paint glides on really nice. It's kind of expensive though, so I usually just end up using construction paper.
#23 of 42 Old 04-03-2002, 05:20 AM

I left out 1 cup of water. That would make a huge difference I imagine. Have fun,
Cathy
#24 of 42 Old 04-03-2002, 05:34 AM

I just posted one under "What do you do all day with your toddeler?" But I'm not sure if it's what your looking for. It probably wouldn't be good to eat. What about pudding? You could thin it down with a little milk if it was too thick. If you wanted some non-food like colors, you could always add a little food coloring to vanilla pudding.
#25 of 42 Old 04-03-2002, 11:31 AM

The new issue of parenting magazine has a recipe. You could check their website, othewise I'll post a message from home with it.
#26 of 42 Old 04-03-2002, 12:13 PM

Edible Finger Paint:

1 Package of instant vanilla pudding
2 cups ice cold water (chill water in freezer for 10-15 min)
Food coloring (optional)

1.Mix pudding and water using wire whisk for 3 min.
2.Divide pudding into several bowls and add different food coloring to each one
3.Chill in fridge for an hour
4.Paint!!!!
#27 of 42 Old 04-03-2002, 12:14 PM

Toast Paint:

White bread slices
Milk
Paintbrush

1.Use milk to paint a design in the toast
2.Pop bread in toaster
3.When the toast pops up,it will have a design on it.
#28 of 42 Old 04-03-2002, 12:20 PM

Depending on how messy you want to get,this can be fun for kids to paint "jewelry" on themselves (or Mom!!)

Face and Body Paint

3Tbsp shortening
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
Food coloring
Paper plate

1.Mix shortening and cornstarch until smooth
2.On a paper plate seperate paint into 4 sections
3.Add a few drops of food coloring to each one,mix until blended
4.Use a make-up sponge or Q-tip to apply
5.(Now the good part) It comes off easily with a soapy washcloth.

Also you can add glitter to the paint for an extra "sparkle".
#29 of 42 Old 04-03-2002, 12:24 PM

Also (sorry for hogging so much of this thread!!) he seems like a good age for a "sensory bucket".You can fill a bucket full of fun things like oatmeal (dry!),rice,lentils,seashells,beans,ect.Or things like dirt,sand,ect.Or for a wet one, you could fill it with soapy water and let him try to make things"float".Good luck,and have fun!!!
#30 of 42 Old 04-03-2002, 02:43 PM

b'smom/Cathy,

Thank you so much for the recipe ! I can't wait to try it. ANYTHING to keep DD happy and busy.
#31 of 42 Old 04-04-2002, 11:25 AM

vanilla yogurt and some drops of food coloring (you can use plain, but i prefer the taste of vanilla)
#32 of 42 Old 04-05-2002, 03:21 AM

Thank you all so much for the ideas. The weather is supposed to get yucky again, so I will be using some of these ideas out after we become stuck inside .

Do you think crayola paints would be ok to use as well ? Part of my problem is that I would like to make a picture to send to my Mom. Any ideas ?

Thanks !!!Rebekah.
#33 of 42 Old 04-05-2002, 03:21 AM

What great ideas!! I love to visit this site. DD is 19 mos, but about two months ago, I started putting peas in a small box...little bigger than a shoe box and she loved it. She loves magnets on the fridge, playing at the sink (can't wait to see the water bill!!!) for a younger baby you could fill some tupperware with water and give to them in a highchair or on the floor with some towels. Some of the things are messy but are worth it if it gives me some time to get things done. Lately DD has been enjoying peeling onions. I keep them low and she goes in every once in a while and takes the paperlike skins off. I stop her before she peels to far. I end up vacuuming after most of these activities, but like I said...it's usually well worth it. Thanks again ladies for the great ideas.
#34 of 42 Old 04-05-2002, 08:18 AM

1/2 cup liquid hand soap(clear or white)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
food coloring
combine the soap and starch ins bowl and divide in small containers add the food coloring a drop at a time. ( you may want to test this on a small are of the tub .
#35 of 42 Old 04-08-2002, 01:20 PM

Yesterday we taped two old computer boxes together to make a house. We added a door and two small windows. Eli (20mos.) spent hours sticking things through the windows, playing peekaboo with us, and eventually coloring the outside and inside. It was the first thing he wanted this morning, and again it consumed an hour while I cleaned the kitchen and made lunch.

-jeanie
Ps. I should give Michael credit- it was his idea.
#36 of 42 Old 04-09-2002, 11:30 PM

How about employing a baby-loving pre-teen to visit for an hour or so once or twice a week? When I had only one child, she found me a little dull by about mid-afternoon, and the arrival of a twelve year old who loved to make silly faces, build towers over and over, and arrange cheerios into interesting patterns was welcomed by both of us. We started out by all playing together, but after a few visits, I would drift away and have a cup of tea, or sometimes even read a book. In our neighbourhood, this is considered part of a babysitter's training, so the pre-teens covet the opportunity to play with a little one while the mother is around. Some mothers don't pay the babysitter, but some do.
#37 of 42 Old 04-12-2002, 01:05 AM

We keep two paper recycling bags in the house: one in the kitchen and one in the room next to our computer. My 18-month old dd loves to study the boxes, junk mail, etc. and usually asks for crayons. She adds her own scribbles and can spend up to an hour spreading the papers everywhere and showing me her artwork. It's the only way I can ever check my e-mail!
#38 of 42 Old 04-12-2002, 04:47 PM

Karen-great book that helped me out immensley with your same whoas...

The Toddler's Busy Book
By Trish Kuffner

It has been a life saver!!
HTH

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#39 of 42 Old 04-21-2002, 02:46 PM

Karen- are you anywhere near Norwalk,Ct.? If so , have you checked out the children's museum-Stepping Stones? It's great for a toddler-they have toddler terrain and waterscape and some other great areas that ds just loves.We got a membership for a year for a $100 which was actually a really good investment.Rainy or cold or just plain bored days are good there.I always am ready to leave before ds.I'm sure he could stay for hours.I expect to be there on the really unbearably hot days too. KIm
#40 of 42 Old 02-14-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b'smom View Post
Home made playdough is fun too, let me know if you'd like a recipie.Cathy

Yes - we would love the recipe for home made play dough.

DS is 15 mo and eats everything ... I want to try it. But I think if I put him in his high chair to play he would think he was supposed to eat it!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page