Mothering Forum banner

Two little glass bowls

539 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Incubator 
#1 ·
My 1 year old is currently happily playing with two small glass bowls. You know, the kind that you put condiments in? He loves the sound they make when he clinks them together. Would you take them away? I mean...they are glass...but he's playing pretty gently with them...

I'm kind of of the mind to let him explore them for awhile.

#2 ·
I know how you feel, I am pretty laid back (of course I am sure both of us would be staring at our DC like hawks).

Since he is liking the sound, could you find other options for him? Our DS likes keys (we keep a small keychain of never used, and routinely cleaned keys) and also those very large metal washer disk things.

My only concern is that with glass it just takes one click in a weak spot and it is all over with. Plus my DS is not very gentle.

#3 ·
Well, we have a linoleum floor over wood, and the only glass bowls in my house are heavy pyrex, so if it were my dd, I'd let her keep playing and just stay in he room with her to monitor. (Also, I know her reaction to broken glass- she just freezes, and doesn't move until mama or daddy picks her up.)

But it's probably not the best idea. Agreeing with the PP, do you have other things in th kitchen that make nice noises? How about a metal mixing bowl and a big wooden spoon?

#4 ·
DS eats off of glass, and always has. We've had a LOT of broken glass in this house, and after two years it hasn't been an issue yet, we're always close enough to get him out of the glass fast so we can sweep.

I'd say let him play, maybe put a towel underneath him and keep an eye on him. You could also put other things that make nice noise down, as mentioned, and let him make the choice to switch to something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.