"Cradle cap" in a 2 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else's little one have persistent cradle cap? Ds is just turned 2 and it's still hanging around. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I'm tired of it. He's going in for a 2 year physical next week and I'll ask then, but just curious about other people's experiences. Thanks!

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#2 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My daughter gets really bad dry scalp but I don't think it's the same as cradle cap. Lush had a really great shampoo and scalp treatment (or maybe it's a conditioner) that work really well but I can't seem to keep from getting it in her eyes and it stinks. If you're better at that than I am, I'll try to look up the names for you.
#3 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 06:11 PM

ds 24 months has had it since birth. they are oily, brownish things all over his head. i dont know what to do to get rid of it. the baby oil/comb technique takes FOREVER, he wont let me do it anymore....and it always comes back....

DS 5-11-06
#4 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 06:15 PM

my ds has such THICK hair that i didn't realize it was still there...but it is. i try to scarpe a few scales off here and there but he is not happy about it. i figure if he's fine with it, then it's not a big deal.
#5 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 06:17 PM

Ha. My youngest had it till he was 4.5

He'd probably still have it were it not for the lice treatment we did. Turns out that soaking the skull in a combination of coconut and tea tree oil for an hour under a shower cap, then using a fine-tooth lice comb lifts the stuff right off. Who knew?

It's not something I'd want to attempt on a 2yo, however.

And six months later? Dang if the cradle cap isn't coming back. At this point, I don't care. His thick hair covers it and it doesn't bother him, either.
#6 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilv View Post
my ds has such THICK hair that i didn't realize it was still there...but it is. i try to scarpe a few scales off here and there but he is not happy about it. i figure if he's fine with it, then it's not a big deal.
: Though our 19 mo DD doesn't have really thick hair. I noticed the dryness when blow drying her hair. I try to scrap a little off when she allows it.

dd 10.06joy.gif
#7 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
Turns out that soaking the skull in a combination of coconut and tea tree oil for an hour under a shower cap, then using a fine-tooth lice comb lifts the stuff right off. Who knew?
I'm not surprised...the scales flake off fairly easily, but it bugs him when I try and they always come back anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
It's not something I'd want to attempt on a 2yo, however.
I tried the soak in olive oil/fine tooth comb/soft brush combo when he was probably ~18 months. For MONTHS after that he'd see the olive oil bottle and comment "for Matt-Matt's hair?" while rubbing his head.

So far consensus seems to be if it's doesn't bother them, let it be. Which is sort of my feeling too. I do have a vague wondering if it might signal some sort of allergy/sensitivity/intolerance that I should be more careful about...but the thought of sorting that out makes me feel a bit :

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#8 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Banned

ugh i know what you mean my dd has it also and she just turned 2
#9 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilv View Post
Same here!
#10 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 06:50 PM

We used to call it the "goobies" when I had it as a kid. The only cure my mom swears by is tar shampoo... except it's not tear-free so really hard to use on a 2yo who doesn't like having their hair washed.
Oh, did I mention that Emma has it, too? She only gets it in two spots above her temples, though, so I just scrape 'em off when she's nursing or otherwise not paying attention. eeeeeeew!

chicken3.gif
Irish dancing mama to E (5/12/06), I (12/31/07), and a baby in Heaven (8/17/11)
TTC #4

chartnew.gif http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/9e808/  chartnew.gif

#11 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 06:59 PM

Four kids - all have it to varying degrees (see sig for ages). DH is a licensed cosmotologist and says leave it alone. Occasionally I soak them in olive oil and comb it out (2/year maybe). They think its fun. i wouldn't stress about it. I've seen a homeopathic remedy by Boiron but I've never tried it.
#12 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 08:56 PM

My 26-month-old son has a few patches of it. I didn't notice until we cut his hair for the first time the other day. I've scraped at it a little, but he didn't like that. It's only noticeable if you look really closely, and it doesn't seem to bother him, so I'm not going to worry about it.
#13 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 10:06 PM

Lu still has it, but it's gotten slightly better since we stopped using California Baby (suggested on another MDC thread).

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#14 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 10:54 PM

All of mine have it to some extent. Make sure you are really, really careful when rinsing shampoo out of the hair, and I remember my mum used natural bristle brushes on me when I was little because she claimed it helped my cradle cap.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#15 of 23 Old 05-29-2008, 11:07 PM

3YO w/ it here! I've removed it several times with different types of things, but it always comes back. So, I just trust it will go away someday. I'll probably remove it regularly with the hope it won't return anymore. My neighbor said hers just finally went away at age 50, after she went through an intense psychological healing process.

*Liz* : mountain mama to DS 12/04
#16 of 23 Old 05-30-2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
Lu still has it, but it's gotten slightly better since we stopped using California Baby (suggested on another MDC thread).
Hmmm, we use Cali Baby calming shampoo and also conditioner on DD who has a little cradle cap on the top of her head. If you don't mind me asking, what shampoo do you use now?

dd 10.06joy.gif
#17 of 23 Old 05-30-2008, 07:27 AM

My 2 yo had cradle cap until we took gluten out of her diet--turns out she is sensitive (not celiac, just sensitive--it also made her wake up at night a lot and be cranky sometimes during the day). So you might consider some kind of mild food allergy. I took the gluten out of her diet for three months and as soon as I did a trial to see if anything had changed, the cradle cap came back. It was easy to scrape off after soaking it in olive oil for a few minutes but it always came back until I cut out the offending food.
#18 of 23 Old 05-30-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittyone View Post
Anyone else's little one have persistent cradle cap? Ds is just turned 2 and it's still hanging around. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I'm tired of it. He's going in for a 2 year physical next week and I'll ask then, but just curious about other people's experiences. Thanks!
My daughter is almost 4, and she has it badly. My mom says my brother had it well into elementary school. I've never found anything that helps other than occasionally oiling her head and brushing the scales away. They always come back, and we haven't managed to identify any allergies or sensitivities in the whole four years.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#19 of 23 Old 05-30-2008, 08:20 AM

My first son is 4.5~ he still has cradle cap! His hair is long and thick so I can't get to it. Doesn't seem to bother him so I leave it alone.
#20 of 23 Old 05-30-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittyone View Post
my 4 yo still has it too! and my 1 yo seemed to be clear of it until now but it looks like he's getting it too! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodyAnn View Post
We used to call it the "goobies" when I had it as a kid. The only cure my mom swears by is tar shampoo... except it's not tear-free so really hard to use on a 2yo who doesn't like having their hair washed.
Oh, did I mention that Emma has it, too? She only gets it in two spots above her temples, though, so I just scrape 'em off when she's nursing or otherwise not paying attention. eeeeeeew!
i actually tried that in desperation but it didn't work for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMamaMama! View Post
My 2 yo had cradle cap until we took gluten out of her diet--turns out she is sensitive (not celiac, just sensitive--it also made her wake up at night a lot and be cranky sometimes during the day). So you might consider some kind of mild food allergy. I took the gluten out of her diet for three months and as soon as I did a trial to see if anything had changed, the cradle cap came back. It was easy to scrape off after soaking it in olive oil for a few minutes but it always came back until I cut out the offending food.
interesting...wow! my son who has it has eczema and i've wondered if i should cut wheat out...he also wakes up a lot at night (throwing fits). you may have just solved many of our problems!

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
#21 of 23 Old 05-31-2008, 06:09 AM

Our Naturopathic Dr. gave me Biotin supplements to get rid of my daughters cradle cap (while she was breastfeeding). Have you thought about seeking help from an ND. My son's eczema was related to milk. Lots of skin things have to do with nutrition, things that are lacking or that your body can't process.
#22 of 23 Old 05-31-2008, 11:35 AM

For all you cradle cap mamas - please be aware that - while not always - cradle cap is often a sign of a food intollerance. I would actually take cradle cap in an older child quite seriously until/unless you can completely rule out a food intollerance. Often, they manifest in behavior, skin changes, darkness under the eyes, etc. - not in a "typical" way that you might think (i.e. GI related or something).

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#23 of 23 Old 06-01-2008, 08:08 PM

We've been using the Earth's Best, I think. It's in a yellow bottle with a green cap, and it's made by j/a/s/o/n.

There's actually a cradle cap thread on MDC somewhere from about 3 months ago that discussed the Cali Baby possibility. That's where I got the idea to switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfree View Post
Hmmm, we use Cali Baby calming shampoo and also conditioner on DD who has a little cradle cap on the top of her head. If you don't mind me asking, what shampoo do you use now?

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page