TRULY non-violent family movies? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneecook View Post
The Sound of Music has always been a personal favorite (yes, I am aware that it takes place during WWII, but I can't recall any violent scenes). Really anything with Julie Andrews!
Dead mother, hello.
#62 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 PM

i didn't read all of the posts so not sure if someone already posted this one. "surf's up" is actually not violent from what i can remember. the bad guy is the surf competition. the music is great and the surfing scenes are amazing. there are '"native penguins" who capture the chicken, but no real violence. the chicken escapes without even realizing he was captured so there's no real conflict there. we also like to watch nature documentaries. ds loves birds, so we tend to get those. we did just rent "winged migration" and they show ducks being hunted and falling out of the sky, so i wouldn't recommend that one.
#63 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 01:02 PM

I don't know if you'd call them "family" movies, but there are various series of non-fiction kids' videos with trucks/trains/tractors etc. DS LOVES those, but they can be pretty cloying for adults.

He also liked the movie "Lost in the Woods," based on the book. I watched it with him, scared the whole time that something bad was going to happen to the little fawn, but (spoiler!) it has a happy ending. Also definitely a kids' movie.

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#64 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We wore out a copy of the Cinderella musical with Brandy and Bernadette Peters. I recommend that one to just about anyone for a family movie.

I love the Wonderpets, three classroom pets who are superheroes and fly around the world singing operatically and saving baby animals in trouble. I will most happily watch Wonderpets dvds with my toddler and preschooler.
Also, this show encourages the consumption of celery.

For kids who are a little older and can handle more excitement, Sharkboy and Lava Girl is a pretty mild superhero movie for kids. My favorite part is the dvd extra interview with Robert Rodriguez, who describes how he and his young son created the script for the movie together. Really inspired me to want to be more creative with my kids.

We love Labyrinth, with David Bowie, but the idea of a kidnapped baby and some of the adventures might be scary for younger children.

We enjoyed Five Children and It, but it does open with scenes of London in the Blitz. Another for slightly older children.
#65 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post
Dead mother, hello.
This confused me. Are you saying the fact that the mother had passed away (before the movie begins, even) is a violent thing?

I'm confused.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#66 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 02:46 PM

The OP asked for movies that did not have dead mothers, as many disney movies do, such as Cinderella.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#67 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
I love the Wonderpets, three classroom pets who are superheroes and fly around the world singing operatically and saving baby animals in trouble. I will most happily watch Wonderpets dvds with my toddler and preschooler.
Also, this show encourages the consumption of celery.
LOVE the wonderpets. Unfortunately DD is "off" them for now, and I can't quite bring myself to watch them while she's asleep. I especially like the one where they're rescuing baby sea lions in Alaska because whoever does the artwork on that show totally NAILED it. It makes me kind of homesick - we used to vacation in coastal Alaska every summer. And I love the opera aspect of WP.

I rented "The Bee Movie" for DD last night as a treat while Daddy went off to watch a hockey game, she watched 30 seconds of it and decided she didn't like it so I can't report on its suitability for wee ones. (It is rated PG for mildly suggestive humour, which I figured was ok because it would fly right over her head anyway.) I'll watch it myself this afternoon if I have time.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#68 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Banned

I just thought of a movie with zero plot. Baby Einstein. That shouldn't offend anyone
#69 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I rented "The Bee Movie" for DD last night as a treat while Daddy went off to watch a hockey game, she watched 30 seconds of it and decided she didn't like it so I can't report on its suitability for wee ones. (It is rated PG for mildly suggestive humour, which I figured was ok because it would fly right over her head anyway.) I'll watch it myself this afternoon if I have time.
There is attempted murder, regular violence (stinging, etc) which doesn't both my kids too much, and my 3 year old imitates the Seinfeld character's SLAPPING ME BACK AND FORTH ACROSS THE FACE thing on My face which I have not cared for particularly (that was not a violent scene, the character was pretending to have battled a bear to impress female bees). Bee Movie is fun. Do not use as science material on bees or flowers.
#70 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
The OP asked for movies that did not have dead mothers, as many disney movies do, such as Cinderella.
Ah. Thanks. I'd forgotten about that criterion. (But in my defense, I'd slept since I read the first post, and my brain conveniently forgot that bit. )

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#71 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 05:58 PM

The Wizard of Oz has frightening bits but captivated me a child. The tornado is scary but since my dad came from Kansas I heard stories of real tornados too. Dorothy's parents are obviously gone since she's being raised by her aunt and uncle. The defeat of the witch might be considered violent but since it is done with cleverness and water rather than a weapon would that pass?

I guess it is difficult to think of a story without a conflict that could be considered without violence in a broad sense. A chess match could be called violent what with the sacrificing of all those poor pawns and everyone out to get the king!
#72 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 08:47 PM

Interesting thread! My 5 yr old just started taking Karate, and the teacher was asking him if he'd seen any Jackie Chan movies. Um, no. . . he's FIVE?!?! The only martial arts he's seen on TV are in the opening credits of Iron Chef America

My kids don't watch a lot of feature-length films yet (3 and 5). They do have a Blues Clues: Blue's Big Music Show that's really cute and totally non-violent (and has good problem solving stuff). They like The Wonder Pets (ditto on the poster who commented on the celery), Dora and Diego. Diego is a little less obnoxious to me than Dora--at least they're teaching them hard facts about exotic animals. And I can't complain about the fact that both my 3 yr old and 5 yr old have totally absorbed some Spanish. They run around speaking a strange mixture of "Spanglish" when they play together. They like the Thomas the Train movies too.

My 5 yr old also likes Alton Brown (can you tell we're Food Network people, ha ha!) and I have zero complaints about letting him watch that. Heck, *I've* learned more biochem from AB than I ever did in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatermom View Post
My 3 yo will NOT watch Mary Poppins. He gets freaked out by the "magic" parts, especially the room cleaning up itself.
Have you seen the recut trailer for Mary Poppins on YouTube? (might be scary for kids if they are in the room!) Sorry, your post totally made me think of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymichel View Post
Charlotte's Web with Dakota Fanning is pretty good. There is the plan to kill Wilbur but that never happens. And the spider dies, which is sad, but it's from natural causes and the movie immediately moves on to her thousands of children. My two year old is so sensitive that she made us turn off Cinderella because the cat was trying to get the mice and she loved Charlotte's Web.
That is a good one. My son refuses to watch Cars (the combine scares him) and he'll watch Charlotte's Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie22 View Post
I don't know if you'd call them "family" movies, but there are various series of non-fiction kids' videos with trucks/trains/tractors etc. DS LOVES those, but they can be pretty cloying for adults.
I think we have one of those, called Where the Garbage Goes (came with a toy recycling truck). My kids will watch it over. and. over. and. over. again. I actually don't mind it because it's educational, but the music is that horrible royalty-free stuff that invades your brain for days!

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#73 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
Have you seen the recut trailer for Mary Poppins on YouTube? (might be scary for kids if they are in the room!) Sorry, your post totally made me think of that!
That's great! lol He forgot to add the dog barking in the kids' faces when they run away from the bank.
#74 of 129 Old 06-01-2008, 09:19 PM

My 4 year old doesn't watch full length movies, but he loves Mighty Machines (a series of 20-min episodes such as "At the Firehall", "in the City", etc) - the machines talk through their jobs (without the annoying music of "Where the Garbage Goes" - which we watched daily for 3 months straight last year). They don't air much here anymore, but you can buy the DVDs. His other favourite is Franklin (the turtle) - again, just episodes. He watches those daily, and I find it very gentle.
#75 of 129 Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 AM

Calling all Mary Poppins fans ...

Here's a Mary Poppins "trailer" that may not truly reflect the real movie, and may even be a bit scary for young ones, but it really is funny:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#76 of 129 Old 06-02-2008, 11:35 AM

I haven't seen them, but what about March of the Penguins or Winged Migration?

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#77 of 129 Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody11 View Post
I haven't seen them, but what about March of the Penguins or Winged Migration?
winged migration shows ducks being killed by hunters. we just rented that one. you don't see the guns but you hear them and then the ducks fall out of the sky. other than that, the cinematography is fantastic. oh.. there's also a sad part when an injured bird gets overtaken by crabs and a petrel eats a baby penguin. i love animal documentaries, but sometimes they can be pretty scary.
#78 of 129 Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 PM

Pingu is about a claymation penguin, there is no "talking" they make "penguin sounds" I kinda love it!

Tortoro is possibly my favorite movie!

I am opposed to almost all disney movies as they are extermely sexist! (The little mermaid gives her VOICE away for a man, sleeping beauty is ASSAULTED (ie non-consensually kissed) in her sleep, etc)
#79 of 129 Old 06-02-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
I just thought of a movie with zero plot. Baby Einstein. That shouldn't offend anyone
It offends me just by the quality (rather, lack of it) of the music! :nana:

My 4 yo is really sensitive to scary/intense things, so we're careful what we watch, but it is so individual. His 2 yo brother has woken up while dh and I were watching Charmed (yikes!) and was totally unphased!

My boys like the Veggie Tales movies, but ds1 even finds a couple of those scary. He can't watch the scary trees in The Lord of the Bean. He loves Polar Express, but also finds the train car with the broken toys scary, although he still watches the movie, just needs us there during that part. He refuses to watch Mary Poppins for some reason I can't figure out. He doesn't mind watching the bodiless soldiers in Bed Knobs and Broomsticks, but hates the cartoon soccer scene (which is pretty violent). He seemed to do all right with Toy Story, surprisingly. I find the neighbor kid pretty freaky myself.

He loves some of the Feature Films for Families movies: Bellflower Bunnies vol. I and II (although episode 2 of vol 1 does have a fox trying to kidnap the baby bunny to eat, somehow that goes over his head... the rest are great, though), Seventh Brother, Tiny Heroes, and Franklin and the Green Knight. He loves the old Christmas movies like Rudolf, although I wince at the sexism. He loves the Charlie Brown holiday specials. I don't know that these are all completely violence-free (I mean the kids are pretty mean to Charlie Brown!). Tiny Heroes has some typical physical comedy cartoon things where the villains get their comeuppance. I find the "message" in these to be a little over-the-top and cloying, but the kids enjoy the movies.

My hardest part is finding movies the kids like that aren't too objectionable, but that I can stand to sit through!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#80 of 129 Old 06-02-2008, 06:17 PM

So I should state up front that most of the movies people are concerned about do NOT bother me. Not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyp View Post
If it weren't for the dead parents, I find Cinderella to be nicely without violence. The step sisters do rip her dress but that's the worst part.
As a small child, when it was re-released in theaters, I had to be taken out of the theater hysterically crying, b/c of how mean the stepsisters were to Cinderella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama82 View Post
Curious George has no violence we like that one.
He's a baby monkey, yes? Where are his parents?

No violence perhaps, but certainly a missing parent theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
My kids like Toy Story. We recently rented Incredibles from the library, and it was really kind of violent. I can't remember specific things, but I ended up turning it off fairly early (the kids were so mad!) because it just didn't sit right with me. And I have a fairly high tolerance when it comes to cartoon movies.
The main disturbing part of Incredibles is the parents fighting. If you watch the commentary, when they get to the big argument when Bob comes in with rubble on him, they talk about how when they were making it THEY started to get nervous with the scene, how it started to feel scary. So they made Helen stretch up up and up while saying "this is NOT ABOUT YOU", to put them more on the same plane, physically and powerfully, so it didn't look like Bob might slap her.

I love the commentaries.

So does DS, he asks to watch the "ads" all the time!

Quote:
Oh well, scratch those for the OP. I think mine will probably be more okay with stuff like that than Disney, though. Disney portrays scary events in such dark and disturbing ways.
Disney traditionally made movies based on *fairy tales*, which were traditionally told to small children, and were FAR scarier than what Walt did to the stories.

After my mom died, and I went through the transformation that happens when a beloved parent dies, I realized just why so many stories start with a parent's death. Its' a transformation that cannot and does not happen if you have parents living, and for the characters in stories, there would BE no story without it.

For me, that sort of thing was hard b/c by the time I was 4 my dad had been out of the house for 2 years and their divorce was finalized. I didn't have a stable life (even after the divorce he terrorized us for a couple years) so seeing instability was terrifying to me. (we didn't have Santa Claus b/c the idea of a man breaking into the house was absolutely NOT a good thing for me to think about)

My son, however, has a stable household, and he can tolerate SO much more than I can even now.

Oh oh oh, adding: though Toy Story wasn't made when Disney owned Pixar, I believe the Incredibles is a Disney/Pixar movie. Pixar = Disney now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
and the whole thing is really based on deceiving parents
Well really, the whole movie is based on the MOST bizarre divorce and custody agreement on the face of the earth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
i didn't read all of the posts so not sure if someone already posted this one. "surf's up" is actually not violent from what i can remember. the bad guy is the surf competition. the music is great and the surfing scenes are amazing. there are '"native penguins" who capture the chicken, but no real violence. the chicken escapes without even realizing he was captured so there's no real conflict there.
I absolutely LOVE Surf's Up. It's possibly one of my favorite movies ever. Jeff Bridges as Z might just be a reprisal of Dude, but it's fabulous.

The music is incredible, and the surfing scenes, how the animation style changes, it's like watching an arthouse movie (but not a movie like Walkabout, which my dad took my brother and I to see when we were children...anyone who has seen Walkabout might realize just why that was sooooooo inappropriate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
Again, fairy tales. Not thought up by disney. Just remade into kinder, gentler stories...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
Pingu is about a claymation penguin, there is no "talking" they make "penguin sounds" I kinda love it!

I am opposed to almost all disney movies as they are extermely sexist! (The little mermaid gives her VOICE away for a man, sleeping beauty is ASSAULTED (ie non-consensually kissed) in her sleep, etc)
Pingu scares the criminy out of my son! My son who has watched all three Pirates movies, who BEGS to watch more than just the first Harry Potter movie, flips out if Pingu comes on. It's very odd.

Fairy tales, ancient stories....

Have you seen Enchanted? They do a switch-up on the man saving the woman, and if the Susan Sarandon character hadn't commented on it (spoonfeeding what was OBVIOUS) it would have been a perfect movie moment.

LOL, even the big Blue's Clues movie where they find Blue's little brother is inappropriate if you think about it! Where are Sprinkles' and Blue's parents? Is Sprinkles a half sibling? Was there a divorce? Were they ever married (being dogs and all)? Where has Sprinkles been all this time? Why is Sprinkles alone? What the heck is going on?????

I've put a lot of thought into all of this (my 20s were spent being very anti-Disney, then my mom died when I was newly 31 and I did a 180 after realizing the growth that happens), and after having my particular son, I've decided that I really don't care about "violence", but about each movie as it comes, and how he deals with them as he watches them and thinks about them.
#81 of 129 Old 06-02-2008, 07:00 PM

PP, WHY do the characters have to have dead parents in order for the story to take place? Is it that they need to have enough of their own autonomy in order to be a true hero? Or do the parents need to be gone in order for them to be vulnerable enough for serious conflict to occur? I do sort of wonder why there are so many dead parents. I assumed that this motif was based upon women dying in childbirth, which is also present in classical literature.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#82 of 129 Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
Ooh, I thought of one--Milo and Otis! Now I don't think anyone can find anything wrong w/ that movie....or can they?
This was what I was thinking of. No violence in it as far as I can remember.

There's also Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey There's the one part with the cougar but the dogs outsmart him. My dd saw it for the first time when she was barely 2 and it didn't scare her at all. She likes the original Incredible Journey while I prefer the newer, Disney version myself.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#83 of 129 Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 PM

Here's another--how about the Muppet movies? I haven't seen one in ages but I would think they'd be non-violent...
#84 of 129 Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 PM

As I read this post I was watching Billly Elliot, hoping to give you good news about that movie, but it has a dead mother and then there's the Loads of Swearing and a rather troubling skirmish between Billy and his dad. Oh, and there's also the riots due to the strike. So, not a movie to fit the OP's requirements. But DD was transfixed by the film and danced everytime Billy did. So cute! I really like this movie regardless.

BUT now, a few days later, I just saw Once apon a Mattress and that Totally fit's the OP's criteria!!! Yippie!!! Cute musical comedy with no dead parents. (When I was younger I sincerely thought that it was a dirty play, based on the title. I had no idea that it was a musical version of The Princess and the Pea. )
I did miss the first 10 minutes, and 5 minutes in the middle, but I'm still pretty sure that there is nothing that will truley offend in this movie. The most violent part is when (spoiler) Prince Dauntless stands up for himself and yells "Shut Up!" to his domineering mother, played by the brilliant Carol Burnett. Also, it's not utterly offensive to my own sensibilities; I really can't stand most kids TV, it's just too often so banal.

In our house we watch a lot of classical ballet and opera and B & W Fred and Ginger movies. DD loves watching the dancing : and I needn't worry about whether she'll see anything horrendously disturbing.

Miss Potter is on tonight and I don't recall that movie having anything objectionable in it. Not on screen anyway. I know it's not really a kid's movie, but still, I love it.

-- Miss 1928 -- and Opera Singing Mamma to Eloisa -- 12 Feb 2007
-- Wife to a Wonderful Husband and Pianist -- 27 March 2003
#85 of 129 Old 06-04-2008, 12:24 PM

Just wanted to remind y'all that The Parent Trap does have a nice drag-down fight at the dance that results in tables being knocked over, cakes smashed, etc. That may bother some. And Maureen McCormick decks her ex at one point and then apologizes profusely, leaving him with a black eye.

There are also a number of "family movie guides" online that explain exactly WHAT is in a movie wrt language, violence, role models, etc. Those are helpful because we tend to forget a lot of things that are in movies sometimes!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#86 of 129 Old 06-05-2008, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Would little ones be interested in Jimmy Stewart's "It's a Wonderful life?" There's references to WWII, but I don't remember what they are.

What about the ORIGINAL "Cheaper by the Dozen." http://www.amazon.com/Cheaper-Dozen-...2647019&sr=8-2 Oops..Dad dies at the end, though it's based on a real family and he did die.

I haven't seen it in years, but the sequal to cheaper is "With Belles on the Toes."

"Yours, Mine, and Ours," is about a widow and widower that get married. Again, dead parents in the background.

"The trouble with Angels" with Haley mills. Can't remember violence. Girls are in boarding school. Maybe some of their parents are dead.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#87 of 129 Old 06-05-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Charlotte's Web with Dakota Fanning is pretty good. There is the plan to kill Wilbur but that never happens. And the spider dies, which is sad, but it's from natural causes and the movie immediately moves on to her thousands of children. My two year old is so sensitive that she made us turn off Cinderella because the cat was trying to get the mice and she loved Charlotte's Web. The only kid stuff that is entirely without meanness/violence is something like Dora the Explorer, which is totally insipid.
I've been planning to watch The Incredibles and Toy Story again with my LO. I don't recall anything scary in those, but I might be forgetting something.
Charlotte's Web is a downer of a movie, though it may not have any outright violence. I took DD1 to see it in the theatre and at the end she said "Mom, that was such a sad movie," and started detailing all the sad things. And she was right!

My 2-y-o couldn't get past the mean cat in Cinderella, either! And she loves Belle, but there's a lot of scary parts in Beauty and the Beast, so we only watched about half of it (ffed through the rest) and won't be watching it again any time soon.

Some musicals can work. Annie is pretty good, though Miss Hannigan is mean and it's scary at the end. Sound of Music - we just watch the first 90 minutes until it gets political. And Mary Poppins for sure...over and over.

My older DD used to love the first hour of the first Harry Potter movie, minus the scene with the three-headed dog.

We don't do a lot of movies here, I guess. It's all Magic School Bus and Bob the Builder videos right now. And they will watch cooking shows if DH is watching one.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#88 of 129 Old 06-05-2008, 01:46 PM

I haven't seen it all the way through, but what about Happy Feet? I don't have any scary memories of Bedknobs & Broomsticks, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, The Ugly Dachsund, the old Dr. Doolittle, that Sammy the seal movie where the kids hide the seal in the bathtub or any of the Berenstain Bears series. The Jetsons Movie was harmless, too. I also loved I Love Lucy and found that funny even as a small child. The episodes with more physical comedy would probably be very appealing to little kids.

I was an easily upset/scared (still am, really) kid that watched a lot of tv and movies. Mary Poppins didn't bother me at all... neither did the Sound of Music... Alice in Wonderland had some tense parts but the magic/trippiness of the rest of it made it much easier to fight through the few "bad" parts (the same with FernGully, Fantasia, and Benji). I remember always being upset throughout Milo & Otis and The Three Lives of Thomasina but always happy at the end - and I watched them about 1.6 million times so they couldn't have been that bad. The Secret Garden is like this too... tense throughout but worth fighting through to see the happy end.

I would be VERY fast with the fast forward button with: The Secret of NIMH, Rikki Tikki Tavi, Old Yeller, Cinderella, Bambi, Toy Story (saw this as an adult and that boy even freaks ME out), Monkey Trouble, Fox and the Hound, Dumbo, Black Beauty, or Charlotte's Web (still can't get through all of it OR the book without bawling), Thomas the Tank (saw as an adult & I find it very conformist).

I don't know where to put The Land Before Time. I lovedlovedloved that movie, and it totally devastated me every single time, yet I watched it more than anything else. Unlike the Milo & Otis set I mentioned, I wasn't happy at the end - however, I always came back for more. I guess you'd just have to play it by ear?
#89 of 129 Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 PM

What about some of those old Shirley Temple movies (other than the Little Princess)... I know I saw them as a kid and liked them but I can't remember specific titles... though wasn't she missing one or both parents in most movies?? What's up with that??

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

#90 of 129 Old 06-05-2008, 09:42 PM

About missing parents...

Classic fairy tales often have missing or dead mothers because they were used as morality tales for young girls, and the implication was sometimes that these girls, such as Snow White, were more vulnerable because they didn't have a mother figure to protect them. Women also died in child birth, so it wasn't a rare theme in stories from long ago.

I personally think Disney picked up on it from doing fairy tales initially and adopted in many of their other stories like Nemo and Bambi.

Many of the Shirley Temple and books and movies of that era have not only missing mothers, but also missing fathers; because of the world wars. (IE: Bedknobs and Broomsticks the parents are in London and the children have been sent to the country for safety.)

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page