What about the Charlie Brown specials?
Lucy is a bully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 129 Old 06-10-2008, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kids-in-mind.com is great for this, you can do a search by rating either sex, violence or profanity. There are lots of movies I forgot about like Babe! I use them for all my family movie reviews because they don't necessarily give the entire plot away, but give lots of detail with specific mentions of what is of concern. Charlotte's Web gets a 2 for violence. Other movies that haven't been mentioned that I also liked were Fly Away Home (though I do believe there is a dead mother), Rocket Man, The Secret Garden (dead mother), Nightmare Before Christmas (slightly scary stuff, my kid loves it), and Zeus and Roxanne (older kids I would think?). My kid loves Zathura, but it's a bit scary, gets a 5 for violence.
#123 of 129 Old 06-14-2008, 06:09 AM

Oh, and there are some great movies from a company called "Feature Films for Families"

I think they are an LDS company, my parents used to buy thier movies all the time.

The Buttercream Gang was a good one...um Girl of the Limberlost was also good...but the dad was dead in it...and the mom was a meanie till the end.
#124 of 129 Old 06-14-2008, 07:13 AM

I've got another one!

Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot or, Mr Hulot's Holiday
:

It is so very entertaining and there is hardly any "plot" at all. It's basically a series of funny events that happen when Mr Hulot takes a summer vacation at the sea. It could even be watched in the original French and it's still funny. Actually, it could be watched with the sound on mute and it would still make your whole family laugh.

(There is a very brief scene with a rifle being shot into the air, but it is by a "hunter" in a wheel chair who mistakes a car horn for a duck. And there is a scene with some quarreling after a misunderstanding during a couple of card games, but it's pretty innocuous.)

-- Miss 1928 -- and Opera Singing Mamma to Eloisa -- 12 Feb 2007
-- Wife to a Wonderful Husband and Pianist -- 27 March 2003
#125 of 129 Old 06-14-2008, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think the reason so many movies have a mom or dad that has passed away is that it automatically gives you sympathy for the character.

I agree that Totoro is a wonderful movie! But it does have a scene where Satsuki is yelling at Mei and calls her "Stupid" and says something like "so what if mommy dies? Is that what you want?" It is also pretty scary when they can't find Mei for a good stretch of time.

Kiki is not really scary. Oh, there is a scene where she is flying in a storm and might fall. And there is a sad part where she loses her powers and gets depressed.

Curious George also has a scene where the man with the yellow hat yells at him (after calling animal control to come take him away). Yeah.

Cars is not really scary. Except for the combine scene, but that is fairly short. There is some disrespectful language (idiot, moron, stupid).

The Little Bear movie has an animal that might eat them (like a mountain lion or something?). And one bear is missing his parents, but is reunited in the end.

Sorry for all the bummers. I have a pretty sensitive son, so I notice these things. That said, he does watch the above movies (with a little parental support the first time). He really wants to watch the Incredibles, but in reality it is too scary - he loves superheroes right now, but asks to skip most of the movie. He thought Toy Story was too scary also. We mostly stick to preschool TV shows right now (Curious George, WordGirl, Teletubbies (cracks my kids up for some reason!), Clifford, Max & Ruby).
#126 of 129 Old 06-14-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccohenou View Post
Documentaries about plants and/or rocks. Baby Einstein videos.

Venus fly traps can be dangerous
#127 of 129 Old 06-14-2008, 04:24 PM

did kipper ever have a movie?

kipper is the most gentle laid back series......

the two little ensteins movies are pretty mellow. (though not one adults can stomach more than a few times LOL)

most disney movies, even if G have some element that can be intense for young children. my DS watched aristacats when he was 2 for the first time and though he enjoyed it, it was fairly intense for him for a while (the fight at the end scared him a lot).

for older kids, how about the "little princess" and "the magic garden?" or the remake of "little women?" i recall my 9-ish yo DSD loving these. "the secret of the roan inish" is really good too. OH OH i loved "whale rider." these are all movies everyone can watch.

this is a new concept you know.... we watched "old yeller" "bambi" "born free" when we were kids... all intense movies with lots of emotional stuff.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#128 of 129 Old 09-03-2013, 03:41 PM

Anne of Green Gables

The Railway Children

The Slipper and the Rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

#129 of 129 Old 09-04-2013, 05:04 PM

My son is in love with TroTro, which is a British cartoon about a toddler donkey and his discoveries about the world. Very gentle, very relatable.

We also discovered that Buster Keaton's The General is awesome. It's a silent movie, so the storytelling doesn't go above my 2 year old's head, plus it's got a choo-choo! The physical action is thrilling, but not violent.

I'd also recommend some Chaplin movies, but some may have too much punching/kicking for comedy for some parents' taste.

Mom to Henry, born 10/2011 and The Newbie, due 2/2014!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page