TRULY non-violent family movies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far we have a list of one: Mary Poppins.

I've just spent an hour of rare internet time reading through countless suggestions of Nemo (except bla bla) or Willie Wonka (except bla bla), etc. So if we could, to help keep this a productive list for those of us want to be HYPER-vigilant about exposing our kids to violence, but still want the pleasure of movie and pizza time, let's just leave the violent movies out of it! Things I won't show my child: death or injury of people or animals, fighting, bickering, dead mothers, animal violence, even if it's natural, scary villans, upsetting/distressing scenes or plots. Tell me something exists other than Mary Poppins!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 05:23 PM

The Sound of Music has always been a personal favorite (yes, I am aware that it takes place during WWII, but I can't recall any violent scenes). Really anything with Julie Andrews!

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#3 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 PM

we love Totoro and The Adventures of Mowgli (NOT the Jungle Book)
#4 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 PM

Mary Poppins is wondeful..................UNLESS you watch a million times day!!

Getting back into the groove of being groovy!
#5 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 06:14 PM

Aristocats and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (it's the old version) are both okay with us.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#6 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 06:26 PM

We have the Adventures of Winnie the Pooh from the late 70s? early 80s?, and DD's okay with it now, but I have to say, Rabbit is very mean and tries to get Tigger lost in the woods "to teach him a lesson." And the bees chase and sting Pooh... I don't know that I count it as gentle in concept...

We also have Clifford's Really Big Movie, which is pretty gentle.

The most gentle things I've seen are:
We like the They Might Be Giants "Here Come the ABCs" and have been thinking about the newer number one. It's basically kids music videos, no violence.

Anything Maisy or Miffy are the most gentle things I've seen. The "dilemmas/drama" are things like "I don't want to stop playing to go potty" or "Who's wearing this costume to the party?" Very little conflict of any kind in both of those. They're TV shows, but there are probably DVD compilations.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#7 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 08:01 PM

:
#8 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 08:05 PM

Mary Poppins rocks!

If it weren't for the dead parents, I find Cinderella to be nicely without violence. The step sisters do rip her dress but that's the worst part.

I can't remember the name but there's a claymation movie or two called "something and Grommet" which I believe is totally violence free.

Otherwise there's always the shorter shows like Winnie the Pooh, Thomas the Tank Engine, Little Bear, and Spot but those might be less fun for the adults and less suitable for family movie night.
#9 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
So far we have a list of one: Mary Poppins.

I've just spent an hour of rare internet time reading through countless suggestions of Nemo (except bla bla) or Willie Wonka (except bla bla), etc. So if we could, to help keep this a productive list for those of us want to be HYPER-vigilant about exposing our kids to violence, but still want the pleasure of movie and pizza time, let's just leave the violent movies out of it! Things I won't show my child: death or injury of people or animals, fighting, bickering, dead mothers, animal violence, even if it's natural, scary villans, upsetting/distressing scenes or plots. Tell me something exists other than Mary Poppins!
MAry Poppins threatens to 'summon a policeman' when the Banks children ask too many questions and are havng trouble falling asleep. She also forces them to take their medicine...in a manipulative sort of way.
#10 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneecook View Post
The Sound of Music has always been a personal favorite (yes, I am aware that it takes place during WWII, but I can't recall any violent scenes). Really anything with Julie Andrews!
The boy who loves the Capt's oldest daughter pulls a gun on them in the graveyard and the father takes it away. He also spanks one of the little girls---she has to put her butt out.
#11 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 PM

In Mary Poppins doesn't the bank owner basically steal Michael's money and get very pushy with them. I remember that part being scary as a small child.

In Aristocats the butler tries to lose or kill the kittens so he can inhearit all the money.

Mama of three.

#12 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 08:19 PM

Curious George has no violence we like that one.
#13 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 08:28 PM

We love My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service, two movies made by the same director.

Totoro features a sick mom in a sanitarium-like place, but the movie doesn't dwell on it. Two girls live in a kind of magical forest house and a creature that looks like a giant marshmallow help them cope with missing their mom. Very sweet and gentle.

Kiki is about a young girl who has to prove herself (she's a witch in training) by adopting a town and finding her own special gift to give them and her own hidden talents. She pays for practicalities by flying around on her broom and delivering baked goods.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#14 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 08:44 PM

cant really remember if it fits the criteria but what about flipper?

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
#15 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post

In Aristocats the butler tries to lose or kill the kittens so he can inhearit all the money.
He doesn't try to kill them -- the basket gets bumped off his scooter when he's driving them away from home. But he is shown absolutely to be a bumbling goob, and I think the notion of greed = a bad and stupid thing is a good lesson.

We love Aristocats. We do not love many Disney flicks, because of the violence, but Aristocats is okay in terms of not being violent, at least for us.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#16 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Banned

The 'run on the bank' scene in Mary Poppins scared the HELL out of me when I was a child.

EVERY movie is going to have a source of conflict. They call it 'plot'.

Rather than summarily banning EVERYTHING, why not simply make a case-by-case judgement based on the particular film and your particular child?
#17 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=ThreeBeans;11355713]

[QUOTE]

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#18 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 09:35 PM

Aren't there also animals hurt in Mary Poppins? I seem to remember jockeys whipping horses.
#19 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post

Rather than summarily banning EVERYTHING, why not simply make a case-by-case judgement based on the particular film and your particular child?
:

Someone suggested the Clifford movie - my DD was in tears 10 minutes in because the neighbour said Clifford ate too much and Clifford thought he was a burden to the family, and he ran away. That was just too much for her. She doesn't like seeing anyone hurt, emotionally.

OTOH, she can sit through Wallace & Gromit Curse of the Wererabbit and find it just hilarious. There is a small amount of threatened violence and some cartoonish situations that would probably not be healthy IRL, but otherwise it's pretty tame although the wererabbit is "filmed" to be a bit scary at first (dark, scary music). Oh and the bad guy DOES try to shoot things all through the movie, so I guess if you are anti-hunting to the point of pretending it doesn't exist, that wouldn't float your boat. He only ever hits the stuffed bunny though. (Ooops, spoiler... ) Most physical harm in the movie is self-inflicted, so I don't know if that counts for anyone's criteria.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#20 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 11:04 PM

And about the original Wallace and Gromits... A Close Shave is a little scary with the sheep rustling and evil robot dog. The Wrong Trousers has some theivery and deception. A Grand Day Out is the most innocuous. They just build a rocket and fly to the moon because they think it's made of cheese. They encounter a strange robot there, but I can't recall any questionable interactions between them.
#21 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service probably meet your criteria. They're really delightful movies.
#22 of 129 Old 05-30-2008, 11:30 PM

Curious George
#23 of 129 Old 05-31-2008, 12:01 AM

I want to second the endorsements of My Neighbor Totoro, and Winnie the Pooh. Our daughter loves Winnie the Pooh. However she is also enthralled right now with the Jungle Book which does have a pretty wild bit when mowgli finally meets Shere Khan, and there is an extremely brief moment when it seems that Baloo might be dead. I worried about it at first but I think she is too young to understand the implication and she loves the music and the adventure. She also love love loves Lady and the Tramp. That has a mildly scary bit when Lady is picked up by the dog catcher and a more intense scene when the rat gets into the baby's room and the Tramp catches it.

The thing is, I remember being much less concerned about scary movie parts when I was younger. They didn't really phase me as a child, and I think to some degree children have a greater capacity for understanding the darker side of life than we give them credit for. I totally understand keeping a tight control on what little ones watch though. I generally let her guide me. We tried to watch Finding Nemo but the beginning is so scary that she immediately objected and we turned it off. Plus I wasn't so keen on the dead mother theme that shows up in so many of those movies, so it was easy to set aside until later.

I just thought of a movie that I enjoy a lot that might fit... What about The Triplets of Belleville? I can't think of any violence in it, and I love the way there is almost no dialogue in the movie and it's such a sweet story about a grandmother rescuing her grandson.

In spite of all this we mostly watch sesame street, I never have to worry about that one.

Miss Chris

Miss Chris and the guy in the city that never sleeps.
Making a home for our big girl 3/06 and our new boy 2/10
#24 of 129 Old 05-31-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
:

Someone suggested the Clifford movie - my DD was in tears 10 minutes in because the neighbour said Clifford ate too much and Clifford thought he was a burden to the family, and he ran away. That was just too much for her. She doesn't like seeing anyone hurt, emotionally.
Yeah, it's just so individual, and I don't know that you could really find anything with a plot that has no emotional or physical conflict of any kind. My DDs issues are mostly about noise, yelling or loud violence or threatened type stuff. Clifford she did fine. Curious George though, which other people have mentioned here, she was petrified. The doorman and neighbor yells, the "bad guy" developer cackles loudly, the man in the yellow hat abandons George... I find we do best with stuff that contains the "scary stuff" in certain parts and not random shouters, which seem to happen more in Curious George, so she loves Nemo, but we fast forwarded through quite a few scenes for years. She literally first started watching it 2 years ago and JUST watched the first intro scene for the first time last week. And we talked about what happened to Nemo's mom

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#25 of 129 Old 05-31-2008, 12:27 AM

Charlotte's Web with Dakota Fanning is pretty good. There is the plan to kill Wilbur but that never happens. And the spider dies, which is sad, but it's from natural causes and the movie immediately moves on to her thousands of children. My two year old is so sensitive that she made us turn off Cinderella because the cat was trying to get the mice and she loved Charlotte's Web. The only kid stuff that is entirely without meanness/violence is something like Dora the Explorer, which is totally insipid.
I've been planning to watch The Incredibles and Toy Story again with my LO. I don't recall anything scary in those, but I might be forgetting something.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#26 of 129 Old 05-31-2008, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
We like Singin' in the Rain. Someone gets hit by a pie, and there's lots of dancing.
#27 of 129 Old 05-31-2008, 06:53 AM

I am racking my brain for movies that don't have any sort of violence whatsoever. . . I mean even Planet Earth and stuff like that has animals eating animals. Those by far are my 3 yr old's favorite movies to watch. Educational and they don't teach them bad habits. My son totally copies things from movies. Lady & the Tramp? I guess a dog kills a rat. . . wow. . .well, what do you consider violence? Sounds like a stupid question, I know, but some of us would be bothered by arguing, whereas others would deem it part of the "plot".
#28 of 129 Old 05-31-2008, 07:16 AM

As I recall, Beethoven's 4th was pretty non-violent.

Rachel scares fairly easily, but she likes Jay Jay the Jet Plane. Also Little People videos, Clifford, Curious George, Dora. Oh, and some Veggie tales, but "Where's God when I"m s-s-scared" scared her.
#29 of 129 Old 05-31-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post

We watch a lot of movies, and I can't think of a single one that meets all your criteria, OP. If there's no conflict, nothing upsetting going on, etc . . . well, then there's no story.

Ah well, our kids just watched The Mist with us so you probably don't want my opinion anyway!

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#30 of 129 Old 05-31-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
The boy who loves the Capt's oldest daughter pulls a gun on them in the graveyard and the father takes it away. He also spanks one of the little girls---she has to put her butt out.
Yes, DH loves SOM and thought it would be "safe" but DS1 was disturbed by that scene and is still talking about it and 'the scary man". Just the part when they were searching for the family was enough to scare him--he's been reenacting "the scary man with a flashlight" w/ his own flashlight and suitably "scary" face. If we ever see it again I'd just forward through that whole part.

Wanted to add anything Cailou is very gentle, but you, the parent, have to get past his annoying whiny little voice!

User Tag List