Is this a normal "toddler belly"? (pics) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 06-12-2008, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah its normal. All toddlers have pot bellies - thats what I call them lol...

They dont go flat until around the age of 4ish.

My son is only flat-ish first thing in the morning.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#32 of 42 Old 06-12-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyann View Post
I'm not going to win any fans here for suggesting this, but if he's been getting raw milk, you might want to have him checked for intestinal parasites. Is your doctor aware that you use raw milk? (Reason I'm asking is if he isn't, he'd never think to test for anything like that.)
I don't think that the parasites associated with raw milk would cause big bellies, far more likely to be diarrhoea related problems. (mind you, i am not dissing raw milk!)

But have you checked for worms? Skinny body and big belly is the cliché for intestinal parasites in developing countries, but it is quite possible that doctors in "First World" countries don't even think of it.
(They would not come from raw milk, but from pets or even wild animal poop).

nothing more to say I guess :
#33 of 42 Old 06-12-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
Before fully reading your post, I thought it might be Celiac.
Blood tests have a high rate of false negatives, since it takes quite a bit a damage to show up in blood samples.

I tested through enterolabs.com (stool test) and my numbers were through the roof! I'm going to test my kids as well. You might look into that again.

I'd wait longer than a week and a half to see if you notice a difference. How are his bowel movements now?

i'm a celiac and i second this. was he eating a normal amount of gluten when tested? he needs to be eating gluten for the test to show a problem.
#34 of 42 Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 PM

just so you know gluten blood tests are HIGHLY innacurate under age 5. They also will NOT pick up a wheat/gluten intolerance, which MANY people have. some doctors will try to argue w/ you on this, but experts know this is fact.

DS 5-11-06
#35 of 42 Old 06-12-2008, 03:19 PM

If he's not in any pain, I would first do the stool check (parasites) easiest things first, YK? Then if nothing comes up and he is still losing weight, stomach bigger, I would ask to be referred to an allergist and gastroenterologist to check for food allergies; a hernia, appendix or other intestinal problems. He doesn't look "abnormal" to me, but if there are other problems (weight gain, low tone, mood swings, constipation) then I would investigate....after all, we would recommend that to an adult with those symptoms. Regarding raw milk, I would let the doc know. Toddlers can get parasites from many places, though....even the cat.
#36 of 42 Old 06-12-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
Toddlers have big bellies, at least all the ones I have ever seen.
Exactly
#37 of 42 Old 06-13-2008, 06:09 PM

I don't think one can say that "all" toddlers have bellies like that. To general. The toddlers i know (including dd) don't have bellies like this.

I was thinking dairy intolerance. I just watched a video about dairy (among other things) and the effects it can have on humans. Very interesting. http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=22585.0;topicseen

dh had a belly like this in all his pics from baby/toddler/kid days (he said he always had a lot of gas in his belly) and has had digestion problems his whole life. He's not willing to get it checked out though. You're doing a great job checking this out for you son, if it is related to diet at least you will save him getting addicted to foods that upset his chemistry.
Keep observing and trying diffrent things! Don't give up!

As far as fats... I mix flax seed oil, pure raw coconut oil, olive oil, and pumpkin seed oil into her foods (I'd use hemp too but we don't get it here, nut oils are also good). consuming plant based fat is far superior to animal based fats, you shouldn't have any problem drizzeling it over his foods before serving. That's what we do with dd, and ourselves! Dh givers her cod liver oil too, he's norwegian and has a compulsion towards doing that (it's a cultural thing)

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#38 of 42 Old 06-13-2008, 10:20 PM

Your son is 10 days younger than my son, and his belly is definitely bigger. My son does still have a bit of a belly, but his body is getting much slimmer as he becomes a picky toddler. My son eats virtuually no meat, which is fine, he does get what he needs.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#39 of 42 Old 06-14-2008, 01:03 AM

My daughter had a mysterious belly that came and went for about 4 months when she was 2.5. We never did figure out what exactly was causing it. We could tell it was gas. She would start the day stick thin, and by the end of the day, she was soooooo big in the belly. Her skin was soooo tight and she seemed miserable. By morning, she was fine. She also has a diet high in fruits and veggies. We ended up cutting out milk and foods like broccolli and beans and one day the belly didn't show up. We eventually reintroduced those foods and she seems fine now. Hope your little one feels better soon!

Mom to :, , and :
#40 of 42 Old 06-14-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
Toddlers have big bellies, at least all the ones I have ever seen.
My DD doesn't, she has no belly at all, and when she giggles you can actually see a "six-pack" in her abs. But she is an extremely wiry, wiggly little thing, although bang-on 50th percentile in height and weight last I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
I think it's more a lack of muscle tone than actual big bellies. My DD, 30 months, has a round belly when she is standing still. When she is lying down her belly is flat and you can see her little ribs abit. When she is reaching or climbing her belly flattens out too.
Yup I think it's a muscle tone thing. And I don't think lack of muscle tone in a toddler is anything to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyann View Post
I'm not going to win any fans here for suggesting this, but if he's been getting raw milk, you might want to have him checked for intestinal parasites. Is your doctor aware that you use raw milk? (Reason I'm asking is if he isn't, he'd never think to test for anything like that.)
Of all the things you can catch from raw milk, I don't think parasites are one of them. If milk supported parasites, mammals wouldn't have gone very far. And parasites aren't usually transmissible through the milking process, unless the milk comes from a very dirty source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
I don't think that the parasites associated with raw milk would cause big bellies, far more likely to be diarrhoea related problems. (mind you, i am not dissing raw milk!)

But have you checked for worms? Skinny body and big belly is the cliché for intestinal parasites in developing countries, but it is quite possible that doctors in "First World" countries don't even think of it.
(They would not come from raw milk, but from pets or even wild animal poop).
Actually the third-world big bellies are due to extreme lack of abdominal wall muscle caused by a massive lack of protein in the diet - early signs of kwashiorkor. Worms may contribute to this by sucking even MORE nutrients out of the kids' guts, but the primary cause is dietary. And that's something to think about, weird as it sounds - OP are you mostly vegetarian? Is it possible your boy isn't getting enough complete protein? I was also going to guess milk intolerance, because it looks like in pic #2 he has dark circles under his eyes? That's one of the clues to milk protein intolerance - plus if you're relying on milk for protein and he's intolerant, he's not getting much of the protein out of the milk. Could you stomach giving him some fish, like some canned salmon? If he'd eat it, it would be an excellent source of fat, protein and calcium (as long as you keep the bones in - they should just moosh anyway.)

This is TOTALLY speculation, and the thought just occurred to me and it's probably wrong (waiting for the 100s of posts to tell me "my vegetarian kid has no belly at all") but I'll throw it out there anyway - maybe it's not coincidence that my super-carnivorous child has a completely flat belly and other toddlers I know who are not so into the meat & fish have the classic rounded belly? Please understand I do NOT think that there is anything remotely bad about toddler bellies, they are totally normal but so are toddler aversions to protein and veg, and my kid is pretty anti-carb and all about the meat and veg... bleh I am rambling now, I need to go to bed. I will try to dredge up a pic of DD's nonexistant little tum, too... later.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#41 of 42 Old 06-14-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I worry about him not getting enough fats in his diet being off milk products. He weaned at 17 months (I was pg.. milk left me) so he is no long bfing. Any suggestions?
I give my son avocados almost daily- He loves them and they provide healthy fats for his diet, and are an alternative to dairy.
#42 of 42 Old 06-14-2008, 09:56 AM

my ds has the same belly and his growth is slow... but very energetic adn happy kid overall

My only concern personally is parasites. They've put so much into their mouths I feel like a de-worming is in order...
but otherwise normal... normal bowels... everything

only worry if he is in pain. those short little bodies are carrying important big organs that fill up with food and gas. It shows more cause their short... (that what I tell myself)

Try not to give dc a complex about his gut size....

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page