Knock-off Robeez from Target anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 06-11-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is finally really getting around well, and wanting to walk more when we're out. We generally keep him barefoot, but I'd obviously like him to wear shoes when we're outside (not on grass). I bought some random inexpensive soft-soled shoes involving velcro, but the fit is not really good at all. Anyway, we bought some actual Robeez for him a couple months back, and they were great. Then my dog had one for lunch. $$ is not exactly freely flowing, and I don't think I can bring myself to spend another $30 on toddler shoes if I can avoid it. I've seen the Robeez-style soft-soled shoes at Target for a third of the price, and I'm thinking about picking some up for him. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these, good or bad. Is there any real difference in design or materials? Worth it/not worth it? Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 53 Old 06-11-2008, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It has been posted several places at Mothering.com that the knock off target shoes contain formaldehyde.

Heidi
#3 of 53 Old 06-11-2008, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

oh my god, gross! Thank you for letting me know! Get what you pay for, true again...
#4 of 53 Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

posted where, by the way? I mean, which forums? Not specific posts.
#5 of 53 Old 06-11-2008, 11:58 PM

Cr@p. We had several pairs. My DD has outgrown them all now. They do fit well.
#6 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 AM

Well, that is gross, but on the other hand, Dd has several pairs right now that she wears, loves, looks cute in, and I'm not buying her replacements until she outgrows them cause that's too much money for us.

Crunchy mama to my beans (11/06 and 6/04): and with DH since '02. Expected a May flower and got a June bug!
#7 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieMama View Post
posted where, by the way? I mean, which forums? Not specific posts.
The two places I hang out in our the baby forum and frugal forum. I will look tomorrow for the links. I know people have posted where the information has come from about it.

Heidi
#8 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 AM

my ds wore them as a young toddler to keep his feet warm when it was cold outside. They worked fine. Formaldehyde doesant really bther me, I mean, he isnt going to EAT them, right?
#9 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 12:55 AM

They tend to run slightly bigger then Robeez, but other then that...
Check out FSOT on places like here or diaperswappers
#10 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 01:14 AM

We loved them.

-Angela
#11 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 01:47 AM

We love our JoShoes!

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#12 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 03:21 AM

I think they're of comparable quality. I will buy them again when the current ones fall apart or they're outgrown.
#13 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yup, they are made in China and they use formaldehyde in the tanning process.

Not a good idea considering some babies like to chew on these and also the feet will absorb the formaldehyde like crazy.

I know that platypaws are formaldehyde free, I know of a few others but I can't think of the name

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos. Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 
#14 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 11:06 AM

That's too bad. I always liked those with DS. Maybe to save money you can check e-bay, I got some nice crib shoes there for pretty cheap, but they were very nice, JoShoe or Robeez quality. Also check diaperswappers or marketplace because sometimes moms sell them there for a fraction of the price.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#15 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 AM

Loved them... didn't know about teh formaldehyde but she always wore socks under them and never put them in her mouth.
#16 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 11:43 AM

We loved ours, but stopped using them when ds started walking. (We LOVE Crocs!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspook View Post
We love our JoShoes!
Wow, these are priced similar to the Target ones! Does anyone know if they have formaldehyde?

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

#17 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 12:04 PM

I haven't used them, as for some reason, my Target does not seem to carry any for boys? Or at least, the smallest selection known to man!

But, a friend of mine uses them and loves them. And can't beat the price, esp. the way they grow out of them. Yike.

Don't know about the formaldehyde, but I'll admit, that is not on my radar, and I would not worry about it. But I am me, not you
#18 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomsup View Post
I haven't used them, as for some reason, my Target does not seem to carry any for boys?
Hmmm...We got the monkey pair and the giraffe pair at Target. Definitely boy shoes. Maybe there are lots of mommies with boys buying them up before you?

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

#19 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 02:58 PM

we had one pair and they were nice shoes! dd used them on the back deck.

the bottoms (which were suede) lost their traction, after about 8 weeks, and made it a bit slippery, so i used puffy paint and made wavy treads on the bottoms. then they were as good as new.

i don't believe *everything* i read on message boards (when it comes to "i heard from my neighbor" or "my cousin said that her pediatrician said" or "my father-in-law heard someone say") because it may not have been the leather from the shoes that caused a rash. shoes are filthy! i have a pair of organic loafers, and i am sure if i put one in my mouth, i would get a rash from something i stepped in earlier.

i like to make my own well-informed decisions.

for instance, Target sells "Ministar" brand leather shoes (like the ones being discussed.) Ministar is made by Bobux....the *original* makers of those leather shoes....Robeez is a copycat company. Bobux uses natural leather.

if the shoes from target do have formaldehyde in them, A TON of natural living websites will have that information! do a web search and see what you find.

if you are concerned about what the shoes are made of/from, just contact the manufacturer, yourself.

#20 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 PM

we got them and love them. except our tops have worn down cause ds is still crawling mostly. as for the formaldehyde, well, they're are lots of sh@tty things in a lot of our products and environment. So, even if it is true, there are things we have to ignore to get through life. Like I know that non-stick pans are bad bad bad, but I have enough food phobias to know I don't need another and I just pretend I never heard it. KWIM?
#21 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
The two places I hang out in our the baby forum and frugal forum. I will look tomorrow for the links. I know people have posted where the information has come from about it.
Yikes! I had no idea! I loved the ones that I got DS...they fit perfectly and wore well. But he mainly wore them before he was walking. I prefered pediped sandles when he started walking.

PS-can you please post the links!
#22 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 PM

Dd plays hard in her shoes (including a good deal of water/mud play) the Robeez held up to the abuse while the Target knockoffs fell apart in a month. She's now wearing JoShoes which I'm thrilled with! I got them with a layer of foam for extra comfort & PUL for water resistance and they are holding up amazingly well. I believe they were under $25 with shipping so they are a good deal too.

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13
#23 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
It has been posted several places at Mothering.com that the knock off target shoes contain formaldehyde.
out:
news to me..
#24 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanatheart View Post
We loved ours, but stopped using them when ds started walking. (We LOVE Crocs!)

Wow, these are priced similar to the Target ones! Does anyone know if they have formaldehyde?
We Love our JoShoes.com as well! they're made here in MI by a WAHM. Not sure about what the leather contains though...

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!
#25 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 06:25 PM

YOu can get Robeez for a pretty good price on Ebay. That is where I get all of Caitlyn's Although I have to admit I am not a very patient person and if I find a pair I REALLY like I use the "buy now" option

Mom to, Cassi,, 25 yo daughter, 4 yo twins, Carson & Camryn 3 yo Caitlyn and my wonderful 14 yo neice, Carlie
#26 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Banned

We had several pairs of the Target knock-offs and loved them.

We actually got them because of the formaldehyde. That only sweetened the deal. I would just rinse dd's mouth out with extra-flouride rinse manufactured by Nestle if she chewed them... or sometimes just put some high fructose corn syrup in her propped bottle of formula to hide the taste.

Kidding of course

but we did like the shoes... I didn't know about the formaldehyde but dd is none worse for the shoes -- to my recollection she always wore socks with them (so the elastic didn't hurt on the ankle) and never chewed them (we kept all her shoes in a drawer for easy access to us on our way out the door).

I mean, yeah be cautious... but if I got myself in a tizzy about everything that has potential to harm me I would spend my days balled up in a closet in a fetal position shaking.
#27 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 06:58 PM

#28 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
We actually got them because of the formaldehyde. That only sweetened the deal. I would just rinse dd's mouth out with extra-flouride rinse manufactured by Nestle if she chewed them... or sometimes just put some high fructose corn syrup in her propped bottle of formula to hide the taste.
:
#29 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 09:30 PM

Hmm... I'm not finding this formaldehyde stuff anywhere else online... Has anyone written target about this? If so, what response have you gotten? DS had a pair of similar shoes from walmart, but they're too small now and they don't sell any bigger sizes (he was in 5s), so now he goes barefoot till I find a replacement... or it gets cold and I have no choice
#30 of 53 Old 06-12-2008, 09:34 PM

Love em!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page