Air travel with a toddler who doesn't really like the carseat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-14-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
We will be traveling across the country in a month or two, DD will be 22 months. We have flown before without a carseat (I fly alone with dd) She doesn't do very well for long distance travel in her carseat in the car. But the last time we flew she was a handful climbing everywhere & it was really tiring for me. I was thinking it might be a little easier if she was in her seat for at least the majority of the trip.
I was wondering if you have flown with a LO who doesn't normally like the carseat & been successful?
How do you nurse while ascending or descending (or anytime really) while your LO is strapped in the carseat?
Also if you have flown alone & used a carseat how did you get the seat out of the car while keeping an eye on your LO?
I was thinking about getting one of those rolling things for the carseat & I have rolling luggage.
Thanks!

mama to the most awesome 3! year old ever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-14-2008, 01:48 PM

We flew from PA to CA with ds over Christmas (26months at the time) and we ended up checking the carseat during our layover. For the first leg of the trip, he fell asleep nursing and there was barely enough room for him to stretch out because that *darn* carseat was taking up precious space. And we didn't have to cart the thing around the airport to catch our next flight, etc. It was sooo much nicer to have that empty seat space for him during the next leg of our journey.

As for nursing: We flew United and nobody batted an eyelash. I think they thought he was a "lap baby" and had just fallen asleep and mama was holding him. He nursed lots during the flight, but not always during take-off and landing, and didn't have any problems with his ears. Maybe have a sippy on hand if he doesn't want to nurse during those times.

Definitly get one of those luggage carts for the carseat! You can use it as a makeshift "stroller" if you get the carseat attached securely enough.

Good luck traveling alone with a toddler. I'm sure others will have some good advise for you as well.

Laura

One sleepy mama to ds #1 (5) and ds #2...my VBAC baby (2) and expecting #3 sometime in 2/2012!!

#3 of 4 Old 06-14-2008, 05:29 PM

I just got one of these for our upcoming trip in August. On our last trip, we used the carseat on the plane; DS doesn't love his carseat, but it was great on the trip out. Coming back it was an annoying thing. I would never bring the carseat on the plane if I was alone. It was hard enough dealing with the thing with dh there. So I found out about the CARES so I ordered it.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#4 of 4 Old 06-14-2008, 06:11 PM

I try to make sure that we are flying during naps/sleeping times. Can you try to do a late flight so she's sleeping? I will make sure ds doesn't nap or takes a short one, and he tends to be asleep before we leave the jetway. Ds didn't bf due to a cleft palate, but I give him a sippy or a snack to chew on a/descending. And only carry on what you need-check everything else.

And a little trick I learned on our last flight-when traveling late with a sleeping toddler in a carseat, just carry them out strapped in and then grab a wheelchair! What a revelation that was since I tend to travel alone with ds!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page