Yes...another shoe thread. Please help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been looking at the various shoes suggested in this forum. I had about decided on a pair (or two ) of See Kai Run and a pair of Crocs for playing in the water (at the park, beach, etc.). However, today I we were out and I came across a pair of knock-off crocs and tried them on him to see how they fit and how he walked.

Well, he didn't. Walk that is....It was quite comical actually. He tentatively attempted a step or two, but failed miserably. Then, he started shaking his feet trying to get them off and then sat on the floor pawing at his feet and squirming around until they came off (with a little help from me). Then, later we were at WM and I put some of the soft crib shoes with treads. This, too, was hilarious. It was like he was glued to the floor and couldn't move.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am really worried about spending so much money on shoes and then Micah not being able to (or refuse to) walk in them and outgrow them before he does.

A little background: he has actually never had a shoe on his foot before today. A little research suggested barefoot was best, so I took it to heart. He started walking about 3 weeks ago and hasn't really looked back since. He is now toddling around about 95% of the time. We are taking a vacation in a couple of weeks (the beach) and so I really wanted to get some shoes so he could walk outside. In stores and such, he has really started begging (in his lovely, whiney way) to get down and walk around, so I really want something to protect his feet (and keep them clean).

So, will he get used to them? Are the real crocs better or more flexible than the knock offs? Should I back down a step and start of with Bobux or Robeez? (I was worried about his feet getting too hot as we are in the hot, humid South). It almost seems cruel to force him to wear them....

Sorry for being so long winded....any suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#2 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 01:20 AM

Are you sure your ds wasn't just reacting to having a shoe on his foot for the first time? It might not have been the ergonomics of the knock-off Crocs at all. Maybe he's just not used to or comfortable wearing shoes yet.

You can order shoes from endless.com and they'll send them overnight with free shipping (and free shipping on returns, too). I like them because they have a wide selection and that way I can get a couple of different sized shoes just to make sure I have the right size for dd's growing feet.

In my experience, the real Crocs are better than the knock-offs, but we have the mary-jane style real Crocs which have two straps instead of one, so they might fit dd better for that reason. You could always buy shoes and let your ds try them around the house and take them back if they don't work out (or buy online).

See Kai Run has sandals for girls, they might have them for boys as well.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#3 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 01:36 AM

I wouldn't even consider crocs for a new walker personally. Way too much of a trip hazard IMO.

I'd stick to something as soft as robeez.

-Angela
#4 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 01:40 AM

It'd really recommend something like Robeez (just a piece of leather or equivalent) to start, and I'd recommend letting him get used to shoes before you "have" to put them on him. We actually just got a pair of "sandals" from JoShoes.com, which are like Robeez but have vents in the top to help with the heat issue.

If he's used to going completely barefoot, I think skipping straight to a flexable hard sole like See Kai Run is not going to be the most successful option.
#5 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your quick responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggles View Post
Are you sure your ds wasn't just reacting to having a shoe on his foot for the first time?
I think that this may be exactly it...So do I just keep putting them on him until he learns how to walk with him? I guess I am asking do they have to re-learn how to walk with shoes? ....I guess that it would make sense that it would be different since "they" say that walking without is best.

Thank you so much for the endless.com link! That is great that they automatically send overnight for free. It gives me a little more procrastinating time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I wouldn't even consider crocs for a new walker personally. Way too much of a trip hazard IMO.

I'd stick to something as soft as robeez.

-Angela
I was afraid of that...I just thought the Crocs would be perfect for the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
It'd really recommend something like Robeez (just a piece of leather or equivalent) to start, and I'd recommend letting him get used to shoes before you "have" to put them on him. We actually just got a pair of "sandals" from JoShoes.com, which are like Robeez but have vents in the top to help with the heat issue.

If he's used to going completely barefoot, I think skipping straight to a flexable hard sole like See Kai Run is not going to be the most successful option.
So, I should skip the Robeez Tredz, too? I am so picky! (At least I freely admit it, lol) It is so hard to find a pair that I actually like that will match more than one outfit.

#6 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 04:25 AM

My daughter didn't really wear shoes until she was walking either. The first real pair of shoes I bought here was when she was maybe two months before she turned a year old and was starting to take her first steps. I was mostly doing it so she would actually have something to put on her feet instead of going barefoot or just wearing socks. They were just a pair of white sport shoes. After she was a year old and winter came I found a local shop that sold Robeez so I was able to try them on and feel confident in the buy. She had really wide feet and some shoes would fit and some wouldn't, so I didn't want to try buying them online.

Anyway the point of all this rambling is that my daughter didn't like shoes at first. She didn't know how to act in them and it was confusing! I mean, she just learned how to really walk and then I'm sticking these things on her feet? Wth Mama?

And I would also suggest Robeez. Or Clarks! I'm not quite sure how popular Clarks is in the States, but I do know they sell them and their shoes are seriously the most comfortable shoes ever and they are really durable. And did I mention comfortable?

And apparently after looking it up Clarks will be launching it's kids shoes, but not until the autumn. Here is the website anyway: website!

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#7 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 07:34 AM

Crocs are hard to walk in... Romi's been walking for 6 months and it still took a long time for her to be able to walk in hers, so I'd skip it. Daycare forbid Crocs as they are a trip hazard, so we bought her a pair of water sandals from CP that she had no problem walking in. Always make sure the sole is flexible, makes it easier on new walkers.

Also, I just received a pair of Pediped I had ordered and I love them!! Soft soled, but thicker than Robeez, so good for walking outside and so soft!!

I'm not sure about the Robeez Tredz, I had a pair of their demo ones and they were stiff... You should go try them out before buying them if you can.
#8 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our DS's first sandels were from Pediped. We still have them if you are looking for a pair of navy sandels in size 4. Anyway, we loved them, they lasted throughout the summer. My only complaint was they were slippery on wood.

What about those watershoes that look like they have mesh uppers? We never tried them but they look mega flexible. Just a thought.
#9 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 AM

My son has been walking for 4 months now, and even though he is starting to run, and getting very confident, I would not put Crocs on him. I know a lot of mamas on here really like them, but I have seen kids fall so often while wearing them. A friend has a 3 year old who has a hard time walking in them, I can't imagine a brand new walker trying to manage them.

I have bought so many different kinds of shoes and none of them are as great as I think they will be. I still keep going back to the Robeez type of shoes. I was worried about them not being sturdy enough if he stepped on something sharp, or was doing a lot of pavement walking, but then I realized that his weight is so little, that a piece of leather under his foot really is enough to keep his little feet safe.

We actually usually use the MiniStar shoes from Target, and I have been very impressed with how well they have worn, and how well they stay on DS's feet. Most regular shoes pop right off his feet if he climbs over something or if he gets down to crawl.

As for re-learning how to walk in harder soled shoes, this is exactly correct. Personally I don't think that it is a good thing. I care for a boy who is 7 weeks older than my son who learned to walk at 11 months, so he has been walking for nearly 6 months. He first learned to walk barefoot, progressed to walking in Robeez, and then after a week or two was put into a stiff pair of Stride Rites. He has still not really regained his confidence back. It is hard to see him stand and watch my son do things that he can't do because of his shoes. I do let him go barefoot when I can, but it definitely convinced me of the importance of a very thin soft soled shoe for a new walker.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#10 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 AM

Rebekah,

Carrie from Dr. Chris' office here.

Robeez are great, but pricey, and they wear them out quickly. When Jamie was a new walker and didn't wear shoes out badly, we bought the Target knock-off brand of Robeez (in the baby aisles). They are half the price of Robeez.

This is before I knew about http://www.joshoes.com/ (I saw that a PP recommended them, too). The prices are affordable, and you can custom order shoes to have thicker soles and/or padding on the toes. They are awesome and less expensive than Robeez. We kept her in these shoes (we added the reinforcing) until she was about 22 months old. By the way, we have generally let Jamie wear these leather shoes in water areas. We just dry them out afterwards. Maybe that is why our wear out quickly .
#11 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 11:26 AM

another vote for pedipeds for new walkers, the infant ones not the flex sole ones. dd loved hers and never had any problems walking in them, even as a new walker. they have soft leather soles like robez but look more like normal kids or adult shoes, IMHO. i too wanted something that would go with more outfits. i was worried they wouldn't hold up outside but after almost 6 months of rotating between 2 pairs, our still show no wear. they are great!!

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#12 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 11:40 AM

I like Pedipeds sandals a lot. I wish they came in bigger sized. (The "Flex" line is too hard, IMO).
My kids wear Joshoes most of the year (not summer, because I don't like the look of the sandals) and they're 2.5 and 5.5 years old. They really hold up and are perfect for new walkers. I wouldn't get the foam in the sole for an under-2 yr. old, though. The double layered suede is thick enough to protect against sharp things and hot ground without the foam.
I definitely would not put a young toddler in Crocs. I debated for a long time on whether to put them on my size 9 2.5 yr. old this summer, and he's been walking since 8.5 months. They are NOT soft soles.
#13 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubulidentata2 View Post
Rebekah,

Carrie from Dr. Chris' office here.
Hi! I've missed seeing you!

#14 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your responses! I think that I have found a couple pairs of Pedipeds that I like. I definitely want to hold off on the harder soled shoes until he is a little older and more confident in his walking!

#15 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 02:30 PM

My issue with pedipeds is that they are too slippery on wood floors and/or wet surfaces. The velcro also wore out pretty quickly on dd's pair, so that they'd constantly fall off (we had the mary jane style). They were great for early walking, didn't trip her up, etc., but I wouldn't buy them again.

I also wanted to put out there that you may want to have a couple of pairs of shoes for your dc and designate one pair the "play" pair. My dd plays really hard and her shoes definitely take a beating because of it. We have a pair of Robeez just for the playground, with all the sand and water play area. On that note, we also have a couple of outfits that are playground-only, so that I don't worry about her staining all her clothes. Toddlers can get very, very dirty!

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#16 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 04:25 PM
ssh

I think the SKR would be flexible enough for outside use. You really only need shoes for protection outside and in public. We used water shoes for the beach, rivers and pools. Some of the water shoes are more flexible than regular shoes. Often not as flexible as SKR shoes.
My DDs feet were always too wide for robeez, so we've never tried them.
#17 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 04:56 PM

Just wanted to chime in with a suggestion for moccasins with a grippy sole from Soft Star Shoes. We got DD a custom pair (smooth leather rather than suede because it was winter and we wanted a more weatherproof outer, plus colors we liked) as her first outdoor shoes. She had previously been in Robeez indoors for grip on our slippery floors. The Soft Star mocs seem like the perfect compromise between barefoot and protected feet.

I think if your DS has not worn shoes yet he will have a tough time in crocs and even in See Kai Run. I would skip the Robeez Tredz--they are quite stiff.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#18 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 05:07 PM

I have a pair of pedipeds sandals and one pair of robeez for when it's cooler or he's going to get really dirty and they've been perfect. Ds1, however, hardly ever wore shoes at this age, so we just had one pair of robeez for when it was absolutely necessary-he had really tough feet!

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#19 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 05:30 PM

Mine almost never wears shoes, but when he does, it's Isabooties (like Robeez for vegans). I love that they are washable. We currently have the cozy toesies and they have a slightly thicker sole.
#20 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggles View Post
My issue with pedipeds is that they are too slippery on wood floors and/or wet surfaces.
I also wanted to put out there that you may want to have a couple of pairs of shoes for your dc and designate one pair the "play" pair.
Ditto! Ditto!
I loved the Pedipeds, but they are VERY slippery when on wet surfaces. DS busted so many times in them. DS actually just used regular Robeez up until he was 15 months. I didn't know about the Soft Star shoes then, but I think the ones a PP mentioned would be a nice step up from the Robeez. DS had two pairs of Robeez that I alternated daily. By the time summer rolled around, I ended up adding a pair of Preschoolian sandals into the mix. Loved those sandals; he wore them until they wore out. Unfortunately, I had a really bad customer service experience with a second pair I ordered so I would never order them again, but they really were great for rocky, wet hiking that we did last summer.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#21 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 08:45 PM

Unfortunately JoShoes is going out of business. She has a few pairs left on her website, but that is it. I had wanted to get a pair for DS, but the ones that she has left in his size are not the design that I like.

I will put in a second for Preschoolians though. I didn't have a problem with customer service, but I also didn't need to talk to them about anything either. I like that you can buy the Robeez type shoes with a bit more of a bottom on them if you really need it, but I found that I didn't really need the extra sole, so I don't use them all that much. It is super fun to play around with their "build-your-own" part of their website though!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#22 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 09:51 PM

Oh no! Why, Joshoes, why?
I'm going to have to come up with a new shoe plan for my kids this winter.
Pedipeds and See Kai Run are too small and everything else is so hard, and expensive, too (the Pediped Flex, for instance).
#23 of 29 Old 06-15-2008, 10:05 PM

I got DS a pair real crocs from gander mountain yesterday, and they seem pretty nice, and he does OK in them, though hes still much happier barefoot. The knockoffs from target were no way ever going to stay on his feet... they were just slip ons... how insane. The real ones from Gm have like neoprene around the tops that stretchs for his foot to go in and so they stay on, mostly anyhow
#24 of 29 Old 06-16-2008, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Unfortunately JoShoes is going out of business. She has a few pairs left on her website, but that is it. I had wanted to get a pair for DS, but the ones that she has left in his size are not the design that I like.
Thanks for the info on that! I think I got that pair. They are going to be a little big, but I couldn't pass them up for that price!

#25 of 29 Old 06-16-2008, 07:32 AM

Oh I forgot to mention another brand that I LOVE - Pedoodles!
The only thing is that they are really limited in their range of design. But they are really flexible and they are very well made. The sole is slip proof and they can really take a beating!
#26 of 29 Old 06-18-2008, 05:34 PM

I agree that a new walker should have something VERY flexible. The Preschoolians "I'm walking Barefoot" series are nice because they are REALLY flexible (every part of the sole can be bent easily) but can be used outdoors to offer protection to the foot.

I too would stay away from Crocs/Dawgs or the like for a new walker. DD has been walking for 10 months and we just got her a pair a month ago. She actually grabbed them off the shelf and put them on herself and wouldn't take them off in the store....so I bought them! She hasn't had any trouble walking them and hasn't tripped at all, BUT we got her Holeys Critters that have a grip on the bottom of the sole and the end of the toe is raised off the ground a bit so doesn't get in your way like Crocs/Dawgs. Heck, even I trip in Crocs/Dawgs, so I can see why kids would! Here's a link to the Holeys Critters for anyone who might be interested http://holeys.com/shop/product_info....products_id=21

She doesn't use the Holeys on a regular basis as I'm still not too sure how I feel about them for foot development, but I like them for when we go to the pool (the change room floors are covered with water), out in the garden, or at the beach.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#27 of 29 Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
Mine almost never wears shoes, but when he does, it's Isabooties (like Robeez for vegans). I love that they are washable. We currently have the cozy toesies and they have a slightly thicker sole.
We've had several pairs of Isabooties for my now 16-month-old. I love them, they are very washable and so comfy. I've never seen the cozy toesies but they look really hot. More for winter.

I just saw these http://www.isabooties.com/products/p...hp?id=sherbert on their website. Very adorable.
#28 of 29 Old 06-20-2008, 02:46 PM

My DD walked in robeez knockoffs from target for a few weeks after learning to walk and then went into some stride rites. And... she still walks great barefoot. Basically she can walk in anything now, or run. If you get hard soled shoes make sure that they are the good ones (expensive too, of course... bleh) that "mimic barefoot walking" as they put it. It's all about the biomechanics (my BS is in Exercise Science and I studied the mechanics of shoes for quite a while in school).

Good luck finding the perfect shoe
#29 of 29 Old 06-20-2008, 06:19 PM

My almost 2 year old daughter can't walk well in crocs, and she has worn some form of shoe since 4 mos. old, since we live in a cold climate and it was the only way to keep socks on her feet.

We actually like the various versions of Squeaky Shoes (we remove the squeaks) because they have really soft, flexible soles but still get good grip.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page