Changing nap routine for two year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 06-15-2008, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in a terrible pickle. I just had baby#2 a week ago. Prior to pregnancy, my nap routine with ds was baby wearing him down to sleep in our Ergo. Somedays I'd also drive in down to sleep in the car if it worked out with my errands that I'd run. I would just time my outing so we'd be on the way home around his usual tired/sleepy time. This was okay for awhile until I got to be about 3-4 months pregnant and the babywearing really starting hurting my back. I started seeing a chiropractor which helped my back a lot but I couldn't do the baby wearing anymore. Therefore, I moved primarily to driving him to sleep. Fastforward to now.... gas is outrageous.... I have another baby in the house and I need a new nap routine for my two year old before I go insane. I totally had a meltdown on Friday while my son was having a meltdown over not taking his nap. i thought I could reason with him like we did when we got him to stop drinking milk in the cup for bedtime. That only took a few days of him being really upset but he got the idea that after we brush our teeth, we can only have water to drink. He totally understood that after a few days. But he is not wavering on this nap thing. I explain to him that it's nap time and we can all lay down together. I give him the option of where he wants to lay down (our bed, in his room, sofa, etc.) He just cries and cries and resists. I know he's tired and I know he needs the nap because he's irritable. Yesterday he went all day w/o a nap because we went to my welcome baby shower and he was so wired playing with the other kids. So he can live without a nap but if he doesn't have a major distration like that, he gets pretty cranky.
Currently Dh has been trying to get him to sleep for his nap for an hour+ now. They are in ds's room. Not sure how it's going... he's not crying anymore but i can hear him every now and then so i know he's not sleeping. One thing I wish I could do is push him in the stroller through the house. This worked one day and was fabulous but when I tried again, he freaked out, cried and cried and cried. I need to figure something out fast before dh goes back to work. I can't keep driving him around especially with gas fast approaching $5/gallon. We don't do CIO and never have and if ds cries because he is ressisting sleep, we are there with him while he cries.
If anyone has gone through this, please let me know what you did and what was the outcome. With the two kids now, I feel like I need a little more structure and predictability for my own day to maintain my own sanity around here!! thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page