24 mo starting daycare part time this week...how best to handle it??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-11-2003, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ugh. that horribly difficult time has come that most mothers dread - my 24 mo son must start daycare part time this week.

i am just hoping to hear from other mothers who have gone through this regarding some advice as what to say/what not to say to him in order to make this easier for all involved.

i would be SO grateful for some tips/pointers/sharing of experiences

thanks
mm
#2 of 2 Old 10-11-2003, 01:53 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't announce it ahead of time to him. But, as you are going there, just tell it like it is. "You are going to daycare while I go to work. You will eat lunch, play, and take a nap. Then I will come back to get you."

Can he take a favorite toy with him?

Try to phase it in, if possible. Just leave him for an hour at first, if possible.

All toddlers will be upset when you leave them. That is normal. What you need to pay attention to, though, is how he looks/reacts when you pick him up. He should be happy that you are back, but also happy that he's had some time to play. He shouldn't look totally stressed out when you pick him up. (If he continually looks stressed out when you pick him up, then you may need to find other care. )

Good luck! It's hard on mamas, I know!! You can also call the daycare while you are at work to check on him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page