Teething and Fever? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your child had a fever while teething, how high was it? Is this common while teething? What did you do for your child during this time to help them through it? thanks in advance

SAHM to 2 daughters (conceived thru IVF) and one baby on the way (conceived without medical intervention)

#2 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 PM

DD gets a fever with each new tooth she gets. Her first tooth it was almost 102. If it gets above 101 I usually will give her tylenol to bring it down. I don't know if its common but she always gets one and her ped didn't seem concerned when I ashed about it.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for the quick reply. even just hearing that another person has had this makes me feel a whole lot better.

SAHM to 2 daughters (conceived thru IVF) and one baby on the way (conceived without medical intervention)

#4 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 PM

DD2 gets a fever every time she teeths. I've never actually taken her temp, but at least once every tooth her fever will get pretty hot while sleeping. I usually give ibuprofen when I can see that the fever is bothering her or if she is having a hard time with the teething pain itself. I always try to find a homeopathic remedy that matches her symptoms before I go for the ibuprofen, but sometimes that stuff just doesn't take the pain away! If you're interested, here's that website... I like it because it's pretty specific in describing teething sypmtoms that match each remedy individually, that way you know you are getting one that works for what your child is feeling.

Hope your little one feels better soon! We've been doing the teething thing around here off and on too. The incisors have broken through on the top and bottom, but only the teeny tips of them so I know we're still in for bumpy ride. Yay teething

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#5 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 PM

My DS usually gets a fever when cutting teeth. I give him Camilia (a homeopathic remedy for teething) and it has something it it for fever. I don't give anything for fevers unless they're over 102 and even then, I've only given him homeopathic remedies.
#6 of 11 Old 07-02-2008, 01:53 PM

My 13 mo daughter was getting molars this last weekend. Her fever went to 104 before we broke out the ibuprofin. She was feverish for about 2 days.
#7 of 11 Old 07-02-2008, 01:59 PM

DS almost always gets a 103 or 104 fever when new teeth are coming in. Our ped says that a fever that high isn't teething-related, but we go through the same thing every time so I'm confident that's what it is.
#8 of 11 Old 07-02-2008, 06:05 PM

DB always gets a fever when teething. I'll give Motrin if its really bothering him,but mainly this is at night. The teething tablets also seem to help and he will also nurse a lot too. I think the sucking helps or at the very least its comfort. Teething sucks. Hope your LO feels better soon.
#9 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 PM

My son is 11 month old. He got up last night and was burning hot. I took a temperature. It was 101.7. I called the on call doctor. She said give him Tyleno and wait till the second day to come in. Then today I took him in to check out. The doctor said that there's no ear infection, no throat problem and lungs are clear. There are no reasons besides teething. His fever so far did not pass 100.0 today.
#10 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 11:20 PM

When teething a couple more difficult teeth, my guy went up to 104 3 nights in a row.

I took tepid baths with him, nursed him a lot, and got sleep when we could, until his temperature went up enough that it woke me up again. Then it was another tepid bath, nursing, etc. For 3 nights.

Then his teeth came through and no more fevers.

He was totally fine during the day, and I knew that his temperature wasn't high during the day b/c I hadn't given anything to him to keep it falsely low.

Tepid baths are magical!
#11 of 11 Old 07-26-2008, 01:24 AM

I so agree with the baths! When ds1 was teething and had high temps I would do night baths as well... I became a pro at getting out of the tub, drying off, putting a diaper on ds and getting into bed all while keeping him attached to the boob and not waking up... I am sure someday that I will think that is funny...
If the nights are colder where you live you could also try going out for a night time walk- babes like the change of scenery and the low temps and cool air help bring the temp down a little. We don't use tylonol or ibuprofin at all - I have it on hand but only for an absolute emergency.

Mama to my three little loveys and living the good life in the beautiful Pacific North West 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page