What's up with seemingly "intentional" potty accidents? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-02-2008, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS has recently learned to use the potty during the day (hurray!) and has even had a few dry nights. I'm very proud of his progress, especially for his age. However, I'm left shaking my head when he almost seems as if he's intentionally trying to have an "accident". You know, when they're like a foot away from their potty but stop to pee and don't bother to tell you or take their undies off :? He's so good about telling me in time and has no problem taking his own undies off, but once a day or every other day, he seems to just not care to get himself wet. Sometimes he even seems amused by it. I don't get it. Why does that happen? I'm sure it will pass, I'm just curious as to the psychology behind it.

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#2 of 3 Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
heh heh heh heh. I have so been there are various ages with the three kids I have who are of the age to be toilet taught!

I can't say for sure, but my guess would be one of to things, or both...#1 would be testing the boundaries both w/ his physical ability to hold it or how full his bladder can get before he has to go (how long after he feels like he might have to) and/or #2 kids can control a few things w/ certainty -- eating, sleeping, and toileting, so maybe he's just asserting his control or independence in this way.

I'm no expert, so I imagine someone else could share some more enlightened wisdom about this, but that's what pops into my head.

PS For a while Cole would tell us he didn't have to go in the morning, having not gone for 12 hrs, and then at 8:54 or something most mornings he would finally go, all over his chair at the kitchen table and with a puddle around it. Lily had to be at school at 9:15. So frustrating!

* Holly * rural Seattle suburban SAHM to Elizabeth 11 * Cole 9 * Annie 5 * Blaise 3 * and Urban 2 mos *
#3 of 3 Old 07-02-2008, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We've ec'd from birth so our son has known what to do from almost birth. 3 1/2 months to 4 1/2 months were the golden days. He told us for every pee. Then the world got too interesting. He had more important things to worry about than his pants.

We've been on a roller coaster ride since. At least he's pretty much pooped in the potty since 9 weeks. However, that pee thing. We thought we were totally done at 25 months. Then at 26 months he stopped telling us and at 27 months he refused to go in the potty. He's 30 month now. We're on vacation and washing training pants is a pain, so we've been more insistent with him.

I really think it's boredom. It's not that big a deal to be wet, but giving up playing--even if it's to sit on the potty 2 inches away--is just not worth it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page