is raw honey safe for 18 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-06-2008, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just made a smoothie for my 18 month old and I put some of raw honey in it.. I know that babies up to 1 year old are not supposed to have honey.. What about raw honey for toddlers? I started thinking about it and did an internet search and I read that some doctors recommend waiting until children are 2 to give honey so now I am a little bit concerned, especially since it was raw... Does anyone know if there is a problem with giving raw honey to a toddler?
#2 of 6 Old 07-06-2008, 05:59 AM

I am sure most honey is raw?
I dont know...ive never bought pasterised honey! - What an odd concept!

On my sons first birthday - thats the first thing I gave him to eat...raw honey! (I like mine with the comb in it even!)...(I am a completely pooh bear you see - I cant go a day without honey! lol) I am sure an 18 month old would be absolutly fine with it.

On a side note...I wonder if these later and later food introduction suggestions have anything to do with more and more formula fed babies..hmmm...

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#3 of 6 Old 07-06-2008, 09:28 AM

Actually, most honey is cooked so that it will remain a liquid and not crystallize. I think raw honey is a wonderful food and I started giving it to both my sons at a year old. I think the concern is that honey can have botulism spores that an immature immune system cannot handle. (Anyone feel free to correct me if they feel more certain about the concern!)
#4 of 6 Old 07-06-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha_2sons View Post
Actually, most honey is cooked so that it will remain a liquid and not crystallize. I think raw honey is a wonderful food and I started giving it to both my sons at a year old. I think the concern is that honey can have botulism spores that an immature immune system cannot handle. (Anyone feel free to correct me if they feel more certain about the concern!)
As far I know you are 100% right. I am almost certain the fear is botulism, not an allergic reaction.
#5 of 6 Old 07-06-2008, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! raw honey has so many benefits and I really want my girls to benefit from it.. I just got confused with the different age recommendations . I am sure you guys are right thought, and at 18 months old its probably perfectly fine.. I guess I had a little mama freak out moment.. Thanks for making me feel better!
#6 of 6 Old 07-06-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha_2sons View Post
Odd...I like it when it crystalises lol! ... And yes, the concern is botulism - which is found in both raw and pasterised honey anyhow...which is why they say to just wait until a year old - So I am sure raw is fine.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page