20mo with NO FEAR Hurting Herself - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-06-2008, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kiddo has absolutely no fear and will literally catapult herself off slides, monkey bars, whatever. She has a huge scar on her face from where she went face frist down the slide at day care the other day. She has had three black eyes. She always has bruises. She runs into everything and it not phased unless she really hurts herself. What can I do to help her learn to be cautious? I am afraid of her seriously injuring herself or me getting reported for child abuse - no, I am not kidding. Thanks!:
#2 of 7 Old 07-06-2008, 07:11 AM

I'm looking forward to replies.DD climbs on everything and has no idea of how dangerous activities she's doing.No injuries thus far.Though I'm a bit sceptical about the continuum concept theory that children know how to protect themselves.
#3 of 7 Old 07-06-2008, 09:27 AM

I'm looking forward to replies too! I see other toddlers who are allowed to climb to the top of jungle gyms by themselves. They safely go to the slide and slide down feet first. My DD has to check out every opening practically careening herself off the side (she did fall once but I caught her). She also has no fear of water. If the big kids are playing with a ball in the deep end... there she goes!

I have to dress her in pants all summer as her knees are a mess. I am thinking of buying kneepads though I doubt she'll keep them on.

I admire my little ones verve and don't want to stifle her but I do want to keep her safe.
#4 of 7 Old 07-06-2008, 10:55 AM

First, I would get her eyes checked. Just based on my son (so in no way scientific) he was just like you described until he got glasses at age two. His eyes are very bad and ever since he got his glasses he has been more able to keep himself safe.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#5 of 7 Old 07-06-2008, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. I was planning on getting her eyes checked since I myself am known to bump into things when I don't have my glasses on...it seems to be more than that. however, Devin just has absolutely no fear whatsoever. Today we went ot a play area at the mall and she stood on top of a high crab toy and literally jumped off without fear. If I had not been there to catch her (time after time after time) she could have hurt herself badly. Her sister (3yo) still doesn't do tha tone without holding on to me. I am not concerned about her dardevilness I suppose; I just want to make sure she does not injure herself so I am trying to teach her to be safe but she laughs at me.
#6 of 7 Old 07-06-2008, 10:02 PM

I'm eager to hear suggestions too... my 17 mo ds has lept off couches onto wooden blocks, jumped into our pool without mom or dad nearby (yes he was wearing his lifejacket -- a hard and fast rule at our house), climbed over baby gates to get downstairs while mom and dad were asleep, eaten oxiclean he got out of a cupboard over the washer with a baby lock on it, etc. He has no fear! With all the bumps, bruises, and scrapes I too worry about what others will think...

B wife to B and mama to my two boys B 1/23/07 via csect and H 9/27/08 my vbac babe!
We , selectively (don't) vax, babywear, cosleep, love music, and try to be as crunchy as we can get!
#7 of 7 Old 07-07-2008, 01:27 PM

My daughter was the one that was climbing to the very top of the big kids playground when she was still a year...jumping from the highest anything she could find...it's just her nature.

I found that holding her back just annoys her so we would have quick "lessons" before getting to the playground of "hold on with two hands", "only slide on your butt or back", "wait in turn", etc. It *really* worked that she was given permission with basic limitations. I try to do these lessons when we go out anywhere because she still needs constant reminders of "Jessica doesn't want you to climb on her kitchen table so we need to sit in the chair", "if you swing on the door handle like that you're going to smack yourself into the wall", etc. Some days are better than others.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page