I need a new double stroller! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-06-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 3 yo and an 11 month old. My 3 year old is easily tired, impulsive and needs the safety of a stroller on long excursions. My baby is still --- a baby! So we need a double for a long time. However.....

We currently have a Maclaren Twin and while I absolutely love it, it's not going to last much longer for our needs. Mark is only 34 lbs, so he's not close to the weight limit. But he's so tall his head is already above the back of the seatback and he can't lean back comfortably. We walk a lot so I need something he can jump in and out of easily, which is why I love the side by side.

What I like:

easy in and out
high weight limit (50lbs each side)
baskets under each seat
pockets behind the handles for me to get to my stuff easily
umbrella fold for our small apartment space
5 point harness

What I don't like:

No front tray for snacks
When Jeff (the baby) leans forward, the seatback comes with him!
Narrow seats -Mark is really squished
Dinky sunshade - doesn't come down in the front at all

So is there any way I can get what I want? Do I want a Sit N Stand? Can my older child SIT in the standing place on those strollers?
#2 of 18 Old 07-06-2008, 05:21 PM

I'm in exactly the same boat. I have a 3yo and a 1yo also and we currently drive a Graco DuoGlider, which I am finding increasingly heavy with 56 pounds of kids and another 20 pounds or so of groceries. Also, when dd is in front ds pulls her hair and when ds is in front dd pushes the back of his seat with her feet.

It seems all strollers have one or two great features, but none of them have everything. I've heard mixed reviews about the sit and stand. Especially the Joovy - it doesn't seems to be very manoeverable, particularly through doorways and tight corners. But in answer to your question, yes, the older child can either sit or stand on most models. My preference would be somthing with inflatable front tires, but then you usually have to sacrafice the storage basket.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#3 of 18 Old 07-06-2008, 06:07 PM

I have 6 mo old and a 2.5 yr old whoes BIG shhe is 35 lbs Im looking at these 2

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3028965

the first They dont have in the styore to try out here but the second one they do and it manuver well and fit both my kids well I cant decide which to get

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2953833

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#4 of 18 Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 PM

I drool over phil and teds. http://www.philandteds.com/nz/sport_07_1.htm It looks like the weight goes pretty high. But so is the cost.
#5 of 18 Old 07-06-2008, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjawm View Post
I drool over phil and teds. http://www.philandteds.com/nz/sport_07_1.htm It looks like the weight goes pretty high. But so is the cost.
This is the stroller I have w/ the second seat attachment. I LOVE it. It was worth every penny and should anything bend/break Phil& Teds will ship you the part right away at no cost. Their customer service is fantastic! I have taken this stroller over some serious terrain and it still looks like it did the day it came out of the box. I highly reccomend it.
#6 of 18 Old 07-06-2008, 09:15 PM

We have a BabyJogger double w/ 20" wheels that we got in 2002 when Cole was a baby, and then got a Graco Quattro Tour last year when Blaise was born. We use the Jogger for most errands and outings around our small, hilly town and use the Graco when we've driven somewhere or we are going somewhere w/ narrower doorways. Links:

http://babyjogger.com/qdouble.htm

http://babyjogger.com/performancedouble.htm

http://babyjogger.com/cityclassicdouble.htm

Ours is most like the second BabyJogger link, but they now have several choices...

http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/pro...3&CategoryID=2

I like the stadium seating of the Graco and the bigger kiddo always sits in front, so hopping out is a cinch. Lots of pockets and handles much better than I expected considering how much it weighs.

* Holly * rural Seattle suburban SAHM to Elizabeth 11 * Cole 9 * Annie 5 * Blaise 3 * and Urban 2 mos *
#7 of 18 Old 07-06-2008, 09:20 PM

We also have the Phil and Ted Sport, and I love it. It was worth every penny. I push around a 4 year old and a 1.5 year old. My older daughter is 40 inches tall and 32 pounds, and has plenty of room in this stroller.
#8 of 18 Old 07-06-2008, 11:25 PM

I don't own a double stroller, but my best friend does and I've used it with her older son and my dd2. It's a zooper. She bought it from craigslist so I'm not sure of the retail price (it looks expensive on the website). If I were to buy a double stroller this would be the one. It's very durable, easy to fold and unfold, easy in and out, a smooth ride, and really doesn't seem too large for double stroller. I live in a historic neighborhood with terrible sidewalks in some places and this stroller did great along my jogger, which I have specifically because of the sidewalks in our area.

I hope you find that perfect stroller

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#9 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 06:49 AM

We have the double BOB stroller with front swivel wheels. It's really really easy to push around for walks around the neighborhood. I think the weight limit is 100 lbs. I think it also has all your likes except that it is NOT small. It does fold up easily but it's still pretty bulky IMO. My 4.5 yr old and 21 month old ride comfortably together in it, wihle my 4.5 yr old hops in and out at his whim these days and then wants to push his little brother around.

That's the only double stroller I have any experience with, but I like it a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis337 View Post

What I like:

easy in and out
high weight limit (50lbs each side)
baskets under each seat
pockets behind the handles for me to get to my stuff easily
umbrella fold for our small apartment space
5 point harness

What I don't like:

No front tray for snacks
When Jeff (the baby) leans forward, the seatback comes with him!
Narrow seats -Mark is really squished
Dinky sunshade - doesn't come down in the front at all

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#10 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjawm View Post
This is what I have too and I it. It was pricey but it is my ONE stroller now. I sold all my others (side by side double. pram, jogger.) I pushed two toddlers at the zoo for about 3 hours the other day (32 weeks pregs) and it was a cinch.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#11 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 10:22 PM

I love my Phil and Ted's Sport. If you are doing a lot of lugging of groceries it might not be that great b/c with the second (jump) seat installed you lose most of the basket. But I love everything else about it (very easy in &out, maneuverable, easy to get in/out of the car). If you are interested, check out returnsforsale.com. I purchased mine (grade c that looked brand new) for $200, then purchased the jump seat at a different store online for $80.
#12 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 10:37 PM

I have the Inglesina twin swift. It is pretty decent for the money(a little under $200) -- I've been using and abusing it for almost 3 years now and it still works for us. My two boys are about 30# each right now. I think the weight limit is 45lbs per seat. It fits easily folded in the back of my civic.

The seats recline much further back than most twin umbrella strollers that I have seen, so while they say "6+ months"... I had 4lb preemies in there(secured snugly with rolled blankets).

The Phil & Ted strollers look awesome... the twin ones seem to be going for nearly $600... too rich for us. Good luck!
#13 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliasward View Post
I love my Phil and Ted's Sport. If you are doing a lot of lugging of groceries it might not be that great b/c with the second (jump) seat installed you lose most of the basket.
I loved my Phil and Ted's E3, it's a really great stroller. As far as the bags are concerned, I used to tie my reusable shopping bags onto the side of the bumper bar by their handles when I had the rear seat attached. It worked pretty well and allowed me to get my shopping done with the kids.

Returnsforsale can be a good source for finding discounted P&T strollers, and they usually run around $300 on Craigslist.

Hope that helps!

Mom to twin boys (7/15/05), another boy 5/9/10, and our latest addition born 9/13/11!

#14 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 10:44 PM

We love our Maclaren side-by-side double stroller.
#15 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 11:19 PM

I have an old Schwinn double jogger and I love it. Mine doesn't have too many bells and whistles, but I think the new ones would have some of the features you are looking for, and they're pretty cheap,
Some examples...

This one specifically looks like it has almost everything you need.

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#16 of 18 Old 07-08-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn'smama View Post
I have an old Schwinn double jogger and I love it. Mine doesn't have too many bells and whistles, but I think the new ones would have some of the features you are looking for, and they're pretty cheap,
Some examples...

This one specifically looks like it has almost everything you need.
We have the red one in the first link, I love it. It is wide though. Other than that, it carries my 17 month old and 3.5 year old beautifully. We've had it over a year now and it still looks great.
#17 of 18 Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolagirl View Post
I loved my Phil and Ted's E3, it's a really great stroller. As far as the bags are concerned, I used to tie my reusable shopping bags onto the side of the bumper bar by their handles when I had the rear seat attached. It worked pretty well and allowed me to get my shopping done with the kids.

Returnsforsale can be a good source for finding discounted P&T strollers, and they usually run around $300 on Craigslist.

Hope that helps!
I have the saddlebags for my P&T and they provide a lot of storage.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#18 of 18 Old 07-13-2008, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great suggestions! My price range is more in line with a used double jogger than the Zooper (WOWZA I like that thing!) or the P&T, although I do wish I could afford and have room to store one. I don't carry groceries, but we use it for our portable storage at the pool and playground, so it needs to have some storage space.

Now, can I find a jogger that folds up small............ ???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page