Mothering Forum banner

Best activities/toys for 2 year old?

589 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  LuckyMommaToo 
#1 ·
I went searching through, but unable to find what I'm looking for.

I need some new activities for my son, who is two. Any recommendations? Any web sites you recommend that has a really thorough list of ideas? Since I'm homeschooling my 5YO, I really need to have good resources to keep me abreast of each stage of his development.

I'd love a book that goes month by month of their development and what activities can best support that. When my DD was young, we belonged to a great Parents as Teachers group but unfortunately there's nothing like that where we are now (not that we're eligible for anyway). So I need a book that has all the information.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
This website has lots of ideas. I have been meaning to get some made before I have to do school this year with a 7th grader, 3rd grader, 2nd grader, 2yo, and newborn. Yikes!

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/pres...activities.htm
Lillians site has good stuff too. http://www.besthomeschooling.org/gateway/inted16.html

There is also a book called Slow and Steady Get Me Ready that has an activity a week from 1 week to 4 years and 52 weeks.

With two such little kids, you might find it works best if you pick school that works for both. Something like Before Five in a Row, or even letteroftheweek.com. Or things from the links above, would probably be more then enough school for both of them!

#3 ·
I can't recommend a book- but I can throw out my favorite activities for 2 year olds-
Finger painting- with pudding if child still puts all in mouth
Blocks
Dancing and singing
hide and seek
Little people- or other little doll toys
Tiny broom etc to be like mom

I'm sure if you google- you can find lots of ideas.

#4 ·
At two, DS was really into mounds of homemade playdoh with little construction vehicles (we used the diecast Bob the Builder ones). And a butter knife, egg slicer, and other random kitchen implements.

A bin full of rice with lots of scoopers and bowls for pouring and mixing.

I have to say, though, that it was difficult to keep DS occupied inside for very long at that age. Hope you find some things that work!
-e

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.