Potty training out of the home - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I am potty training Jake (2 years old) right now and am having a rough time when we are out and about. He is completely trained at home, except for nap and night, which are the only times he wears a diaper (yay Jakey!!). Anyway, he is deathly afraid of sitting on public toilets...can you blame him? LOL. Anyway, I am looking to get a travel potty SEAT, not a travel potty, so I can stick it on a potty so he'll go out in public. As far as the paper potty seat covers, he is afraid of the potty seat itself...like the size of it. He doesn't like holding himself up on it. So, those paper covers wouldn't do anything for him and as far as the plastic folding seats, all the reviews say that they are pretty flimsy and Jake's a pretty big kid, so I don't want him busting it after 2 times. I am trying to find something sturdy. It's hard. LOL I just taught him how to pee standing up yesterday, so he's still a little rusty. He prefers to sit, which is fine with me, but I know it just makes it harder for us when we're out.

Anyone of you have any suggestions? I am desperate. Everything I have read up on has had no so good reviews. So far, I am trying to decide between this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3132746 which is a portable potty, but it also can be used as a seat

Or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mommys-Helper-.../dp/B000F1O8T8 which is padded, but didn't get the best reviews

Any other thoughts? Any help or info is mucho aprreciated!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 03:58 PM

We have a little bjorn potty that we keep in the car or I bring with us if I think there's no toilet where we are going. It fits in the bottom of our stroller. If ds was afraid of the big toilet, I'd bring the small one into the bathroom and let him sit on that to pee.
At home we have a Freedom Potty for our big toilet, which might be a good way to transition him to the big potty, then he'll eventually be ok with public toilets.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#3 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We've been using this folding potty seat without any problems. It's not the sturdiest thing ever, but it does it's job. I just try to be careful about getting it "lined up" on the big toilet so that it doesn't slip or get unnecessary, extra pressure on it.

Before we got that, I used to hold DS under the legs facing away from me, "EC style" for him to go when we were out and about. My DS is just learning how to pee standing up, too, so it's not a fine science (read: messy), but DH has been standing him on the actual toilet and pointing him in the right direction to go when they're in a public restroom.

Oh, and beware the automatic flushers...one flushed the other day while DS was still on the toilet and it scared him to death

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#4 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM

I did the same, my daughter just started potty training when my sister came to visit, so i knew we wouldnt be home a lot and i didnt want to postbone it , so i just took the potty in the trunk every time we went somewhere and if she told me she had to pee or poop we just stopped, and that worked great.

johannasonja
#5 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 04:33 PM

this is supposed to be a good one:

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/osa/150774.html
#6 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
We have a little bjorn potty that we keep in the car or I bring with us if I think there's no toilet where we are going. It fits in the bottom of our stroller. If ds was afraid of the big toilet, I'd bring the small one into the bathroom and let him sit on that to pee.
At home we have a Freedom Potty for our big toilet, which might be a good way to transition him to the big potty, then he'll eventually be ok with public toilets.
We have something similar to that for home, only without the ladder. We have his little potty (since he no longer wants to use his baby potty) which converts to a step stool under the toilet and then a potty seat that fits onto the toilet seat. I was just going to bring the potty seat with us everywhere but it's pretty bulky to be carrying around everywhere. I think I'll end up going to BRU or something and actually SEE them and hold them and see which would be best for us.
#7 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for all your help. I have some more research to do, it looks like. LOL. I think this weekend, I'll take a trip to BRU or TRU and see what they have in stock, so I can actually see them and maybe that will help. I am armed with lots of info from you all, so it should help my decision a little easier! Thanks again!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page