When does hand preference show? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Left-handed? Right-handed? Ambidextrous?

At what ages does hand preference show?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 02:36 AM

My DD's left-hand preference started to be obvious at about 18 months, and just keeps getting stronger. She still switches to her right hand if her left is tired, but mostly she draws/writes/eats with her left.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#3 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They say I think around age 2? Or maybe 18 mos. Both mine had a distinct preference almost from birth.
#4 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 03:04 AM

"They" in the educational fields around here say that some kids choose as late as age 5.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#5 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 03:22 AM

My dd is almost 3 and I'm still wondering. I thinking she's probably right-handed, but she'll still use her left hand a lot. Also, I read that your larger foot (most people have one foot slighter larger than the other) is opposite of your dominant hand. My left foot is slightly larger (right handed!) but I think dd's right foot is slightly larger! We'll just wait and see.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#6 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think it's pretty variable. With both my kids, it was obvious before they were 1.
#7 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 03:43 PM

I agree that there is a wide range for when kids start to show their preference. One of my nephews didn't really use one more than the other until about four, but ds had been favoring his right since about 8-9 months.

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#8 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS2 is still undecided. He switches back and forth. Maybe he'll be both. DS1 is a lefty and we pretty much know by the time he was 2.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#9 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 04:23 PM

ds1 is 3.5 and hasn't settled on one side yet.

nak

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#10 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 04:33 PM

My guy is 2.5 and now has me wondering.. I thought for sure he was preferring his left with some occasional switching but now he does even more switching. I'm excited to find out which he'll prefer since I'm a lefty and so is my older daughter. Oh, and to see if that old wives tale is true.
(The old wives tale that says if the swirl of hair on the back of his head goes counter clock-wise, he'll be a lefty.lol)
#11 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlne View Post
Oh, and to see if that old wives tale is true.
(The old wives tale that says if the swirl of hair on the back of his head goes counter clock-wise, he'll be a lefty.lol)
Dd's swirl goes counterclockwise!

Hmmm...big right foot, counterclockwise swirly...maybe she is left-handed afterall! My Granny is left-handed and keeps asking if dd is too. I'll have to mention it to the preschool teacher so they don't 'force' her to be a righty.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#12 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 06:05 PM

Ds is two and definitely a righty. My nephew was clearly a lefty by the time he was two as well. But all kids are different.

(Ds will still use both hands while playing with a ball for instance but clearly uses his right for utilitarian tasks like eating and writing.)
#13 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 06:07 PM

My dd is 17 months and is pretty right hand dominant for writing implements and silverware. My mama and maternal grandmother are lefties, and I thought dd would be at one point, but it seems clear that she will not be.
#14 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 06:17 PM

I knew he was a lefty when he was about 12-18mo ... he never used his right hand to color/paint/eat/etc. He's 3 now and nothing's changed. That reminds me that I have to get him a lefty baseball mitt! On the other hand -- haha! -- my DD is definitely right-handed and she just turned 2.
#15 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 07:38 PM

Dd started showing a preference for her left hand at about 15 months, but at 30 months went back to using both about equally. She still uses both hands at 39 months, but is favoring her left, so we're pretty sure she's a lefty, like her mama.
#16 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 07:46 PM

My DD still uses both her hands equally. Sometimes she eats or draws or picks things up with the left, other times with the right. She's 2 yrs and 7 mos. Incidentally, I'm left-handed but my husband and his mother (both of whom look after her during the week) are right-handed.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#17 of 23 Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 PM

My older two were obvious righties from the time they could grab things. DD even started sucking her right thumb/fist when she was about 6 weeks old.

I'm still not sure about my youngest (will be three in sept). For a long time, he showed a strong preference for his left hand, but in the last 6 months or so, I've seen him using his right a lot more. I don't know if that comes from observing my older kids and myself or what. DH is a lefty, so he's pulling that he'll end up on his team.
#18 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
My DD still uses both her hands equally. Sometimes she eats or draws or picks things up with the left, other times with the right. She's 2 yrs and 7 mos. Incidentally, I'm left-handed but my husband and his mother (both of whom look after her during the week) are right-handed.
I don't know if this is what you are implying here, but I'm pretty sure there is no evidence that right- or left-handedness is a learned behavior (i. e. that the dominant hand of the care giver will effect the dominant hand of the child).

BTW I posted yesterday that I was sure my lo is right handed. Today she was coloring with her left hand. Maybe she hasn't decided yet after all.
#19 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post
I don't know if this is what you are implying here, but I'm pretty sure there is no evidence that right- or left-handedness is a learned behavior (i. e. that the dominant hand of the care giver will effect the dominant hand of the child).

BTW I posted yesterday that I was sure my lo is right handed. Today she was coloring with her left hand. Maybe she hasn't decided yet after all.
True hand preference is not learned, I agree with that, however children imitate their caregivers, so that could be a factor.

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#20 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 03:39 PM

I've seen my almost three year old coloring with his left hand, look over at my 5 year old coloring with her right, and switch to his right. At this age, there's a lot of imitation going on, and attempts to do things the "correct" way. I can definitely see how a naturally lefty toddler, surrounded by righties, could make lots of attempts at using their right hand. Since I suspect that my youngest will end up a lefty, I usually pass things to his left hand, and remind him that he can color/eat/etc with whatever hand "feels right" for him. He has been a lot more reticent than my older two to really start coloring and pretend writing, and I have to wonder if this is why. I need to remind my (lefty) husband to sit down and do art and writing with him.
#21 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 04:59 PM

Somewhere between 18 mo and 2 years for us. DD (28 mo) is definitely left handed. She eats and colors with her left hand 90% of the time. Her swirl goes counter clockwise, and my friend commented on it when DD was little and said that maybe she'd be left handed. (My father and MIL are both left handed, and DH is ambi.)

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#22 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 05:04 PM

HI!!

I would say Finn was already favoring his right hand at about 14 months.. Its still that way now..
#23 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 05:14 PM

Hmmm. Both DH and I are lefties. I'll have to ask him about my swirl. He doesn't have a swirl anymore... it disappeared with all his hair just after high school! DD is ambidextrous at this point...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page