how do you feel about ear piercing - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 10-23-2003, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just want to give 1 con.

My ears were pierced (I assume) in infancy. My parents were from Ecuador and it's common for South Americans to favor this practice (I never did find gold stud earrings on babies "cute.")

Anyway, because I grew up and my skin did too, the holes "wandered" they were no longer in the center... and ended up closer to my face.

So in adulthood, when I wanted to wear diamond earrings they were never in the middle!!! I had to have them re-pierced (by a real pro, who was very careful, no malls!!!)

Some adults LOVE to get their ears lined with holes/earrings. I do not. It bugs me that I have two holes in my ear lobes.

She can have it done when she's older...

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#32 of 40 Old 10-24-2003, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My apologies to everyone. My original post had stated that I did not want a debate because I had anticipated this causing a circumcision debate. I won't share my opinion to further incite debate but I will update everyone with the fact that I have decided to wait on the ear piercing. I know she does want them and I believe that she understands that there is pain involved(we've talked about it quite a bit) but I have decided not to do it. As a person with earrings and a pierced eyebrow, I'm obviously not against piercings done by a reputable and knowledgeable piercer but I have decided against it for my 3 year old daughter. I liked a previous poster's idea of getting her some small clip-on earrings and am heading to Target today to buy some to put in her Christmas stocking. Thank you for everyone's opinions and please accept my apologies for inadvertently starting a debate on cosmetic altering of the body.
Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#33 of 40 Old 10-24-2003, 12:04 PM

You didn't start a debate. You made it very clear that you were not inviting a debate. I think I started the debate. Sorry.

Hope no one minds me saying I'm very happy about the decision reached.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#34 of 40 Old 10-24-2003, 05:55 PM

I think I may have actually started the debate by asking what differences were between piercing and circumcsion. I apologize for not reading the OP thoroughly!! If I had I would have posted the question in the proper forum.

Again, my apologies....

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#35 of 40 Old 10-25-2003, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by faerybugmady
My apologies to everyone. My original post had stated that I did not want a debate because I had anticipated this causing a circumcision debate. I won't share my opinion to further incite debate but I will update everyone with the fact that I have decided to wait on the ear piercing. I know she does want them and I believe that she understands that there is pain involved(we've talked about it quite a bit) but I have decided not to do it. As a person with earrings and a pierced eyebrow, I'm obviously not against piercings done by a reputable and knowledgeable piercer but I have decided against it for my 3 year old daughter. I liked a previous poster's idea of getting her some small clip-on earrings and am heading to Target today to buy some to put in her Christmas stocking. Thank you for everyone's opinions and please accept my apologies for inadvertently starting a debate on cosmetic altering of the body.
Meg
Hey,

I also have my ears and eyebrow done! I read your post and think that you have done the right think in waiting. 3 years seems too young to totally understand (and remember) what's going on. To me it also seems too young to be making a “fashion statement”. We had an age set for all of the boys AND girls in the family about when we could have our ears pierced, which was around 12 years. To me that seemed and still seems reasonable.

I love all my piercing, especially the ones that I had done with my grandmother when I was 12. I have tattoos also, which I love because they remind me of what it was like to want a tattoo, especially a big one with two Thai women.

I especially love the ear piercings that I took my grandmother to get for her 70th birthday!!!

All that said, I think it can be a “right of passage”…even in the culturally “vapid” USA but it’s probably best to wait a little longer…at least until she will remember if she made the right decision or not!

I think it will be a good learning experience for her (even if she decides it was the wrong decision) *IF* she is old enough to understand it.

Unfortunately, the physical pain of an ear piercing is NOT the worst thing she will have to endure in her youth and you will help her by gradually letting her take control of her own body but staring at 3 -with piercings- seems too fast (to me).

Have you set a year or will you play it by ear? I think I’ll stick to my family tradition of 12 years. Tradition seems like a reasonable thing to stand behind…in this case…and IMO.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#36 of 40 Old 10-27-2003, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Definitely play it by ear. I got mine done at 10years old after bugging my mom for a few years. I was so proud of them and took good care of them and ended up getting infections because I'm allergic to gold. I have to wear stainless steel. So I think we will just play it by ear.
Thank you everyone for the apologies. I am glad we all expressed our opinions. Let's just leave it at that. Let's agree to disagree!
Meg

#37 of 40 Old 10-27-2003, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Definitely play it by ear.
:LOL Was that pun intended?

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#38 of 40 Old 10-27-2003, 02:29 PM

I know alot of people who find piercing a babies or toddlers ears acceptable, if not "adorable". But personally, I always cringe when I go by a place in the mall and see a calm baby start crying from the procedure. I had my ears done at 13...I love earrings now. But I always thought my dd was so beautiful just the way she was, is. If someday she would like to do it, we will talk about it. So far she has not. Glad you made a decision!

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#39 of 40 Old 10-27-2003, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by USAmma
:LOL Was that pun intended?
:LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Mom4tot
But personally, I always cringe when I go by a place in the mall and see a calm baby start crying from the procedure.
I used to work in a department store, right across from the Jewelry department. Seems like every other day I had to witness an older child being held down against her will, screaming "NO! NO!"

I'm sure that's part of the reason I have such strong feelings about this issue.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#40 of 40 Old 10-28-2003, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

:LOL Actually I hadn't noticed it! GEEEZZZZZ! You see how busy I've been lately? Not stopping to notice the little things! Eeek!
Meg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page