S/O: Flexible winter boots for big toddler feet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-26-2008, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I too live in the Northeast, and this winter will be my son's first that he will be able to get out and play in the snow. I am so freaking excited to play with him out in it! :

Anyway, I know it is a long way off, but what are some good recs for big toddler feet (6 1/2 right now at only 16 months ) that are still flexible, yet warm? I am thinking of splurging and buying some Smartwool socks to keep his toes warm when we do go outside, but what about boots? I know I will just not ready to squeeze his feet into stiff soles by winter. We are in Vermont, so we need warm and relatively water resistant.

Any suggestions?

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#2 of 14 Old 07-26-2008, 07:36 PM

We liked Vincent snow boots last year for my little guy (in size 9s last winter at 2). They are fairly flexible up to size 10 but then switch to hard soles. And they are SO cute.
We also love Joshoes boots for cold and snow-- here's hoping they reopen before winter! They are soft-soled, warm, and water-resistant. I'd wear them all winter if they had adult sizes, and they work for both my kids.
#3 of 14 Old 07-26-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I just found these and I think I am in love. : I so wish I could afford these for my little guy. Something like this, but more in the $30 range would be perfect.

I also just noticed that Robeez makes a boot. Has anyone tried them? Do they get really wet feet from them? I would think the bottom would need to be more like a soft rubber than just a layer of thin leather for winter.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#4 of 14 Old 07-26-2008, 08:12 PM

Hi there!
I'm new here, have been lurking a bit.
I am originally from the east coast of Canada and spent the last two winters with ds in Ottawa, Ontario. We used Stonz for him, with Isabooties or a warm pair of socks inside if it was really cold. http://www.stonzwear.com
They aren't great for rain, but great for cold and snow.
Good luck!
#5 of 14 Old 07-26-2008, 09:08 PM

The robeez boots soak right through!

I have a two YO in a 9/10, so I'll be lurking here!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#6 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 07:32 AM

I use Molehill boots for our Canadian winters. Usually with Padraigs underneath for extra warmth. They are waterproof and warm, easy to put on, great all around!!
#7 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 AM

Mandy, are those Vincent boots warm? Or are they just fancy rubber boots?

We tried Stonz/Molehill style boots last year and they just didn't work right for dd. She had a hard time walking in them in the snow. We liked the Robeez boots, but not for being IN the snow. We ended up using stiff hand-me-downs the most. She loved them and wanted to wear them all the time, even though I did all this hunting around online for the perfect soft snow footwear! Figures. I'm curious to see what other suggestions come up--we need something for this winter.
#8 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 09:29 AM

Don't get Children's Place boots -- we got them last winter because it was last minute and they were cheap, and they were so stiff! Impossible to get on, and I'd imagine, hard to walk in, although we never got that far.

Thanks for all the other suggestions.

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
#9 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 03:33 PM

I loved our Stonz last year (when DS was 12-15 month and wore a size 6-7 shoe), but we had the largest size and by the end of the winter they were getting snug. So if your son is already in a 6.5 in July, I would be pretty wary of how they might fit come winter time. The size 1-3 is only 6 inches long.

It sucks too, because I would absolutely purchase a pair for DS for this winter too, since I liked them so much. But he's now almost 20 months and already in an 8.5. I don't really know what I am going to do for boots.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#10 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 06:22 PM

I was looking at Land's End's flurry boots because they say something about a new, more flexible sole. I recently moved to an that has a Land's End "inlet", so I'll post if I get a chance to check them out IRL.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#11 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 PM

The Vincent boots are pretty warm. We paired them with fleece or wool socks and they were fine for Michigan winter.

Joshoes boots are like Robeez but with waterproof PUL between the layers. So the outside will get wet but their feet stay dry. Gosh, I hope they reopen!
#12 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 06:36 PM

The Molehills look great, the biggest size is 6.5" which won't work for my guys, but is definitely bigger than Stonz.

I've been drooling over the Soft Stars for 2 years, but they are just too much $$$ for us.
#13 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM

Some of the boots made by Baffin Boots are supposed to be flexible....for winter boots. I haven't actually seen a pair yet. I'm hoping they hit the shelves soon.

I am looking for flexible and WARM boots too. We do winter activities, and super warm is essential for us.
#14 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't even think of the Molehills. I had a pair for DS last winter that I just slipped on over his footie pajamas, or whatever else he had on to keep his feet extra warm. I bought the "infant" size last year from Kid's Surplus, but I think I remember a "toddler" size advertised as well. I am definitely going to check them out to see how well they would work for us this winter.

As a side note, how much do toddler's feet slow down in growth once they hit the one year mark? I know DS has slowed WAAAYYYY down in his growth, but I just can't tell yet with his feet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page