Mothering Forum banner

"What have you done to that child?"

625 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Evan&Anna's_Mom 
#1 ·
You know what's awesome? When your toddler is having a crying kicking tantrum because you prevented him from doing something unsafe, and some meddling stranger comes up and says "What have you done to that child?" In this case, I responded, "I stopped him from running at full speed towards the slate steps over and over again and I'm bringing him somewhere else to play." But what I should have said was, "Nothing compared to what I'm going to do to YOU!"

Gah. It was actually a neighbor who said this, not a stranger, but I've gotten it from strangers too. SO not helpful, especially now that my son understands much of what people say.
:

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you had a good response to an inappropriate comment. It never ceases to amaze me how rude some people can be.

#5 ·
So many people just don't think. I think you handled the situation beautifully.

I think that our kids do hear what we say in those situations and learn from them eventually. I actually have a recurring dialogue with my eldest in which one of my little ones is having a fit and he asks what is wrong. I say "I am the meanest mommy in the world, I ..." and then proceed to explain that I won't let the little one do whatever interesting but dangerous thing they were doing. And my eldest replies, "You're not the meanest mommy. That was dangerous." It is quite cute.

#6 ·
Thanks y'all.

I wasn't that mad- it just came at the end of a really crappy day filled with many such moments.

She was actually trying to be funny...you know when people are half-joking, half passive-aggressively making a jab at you? She's one of those older women who did not have kids, who LOVES kids but is not so great with them, and worse with parents. She's always popping out and ruining my vibe when I try to play in the apartment complex's courtyard. Oh and when he was a baby she was the queen of criticizing me by addressing baby. "Why doesn't your mommy have a HAT on you?"

Ah well, such is life with neighbors.

#8 ·
I remember when my dd (my now 12 year old) was around 1 and a half and was at a very independant "don't hold me" stage and wanted to hold my hand and walk with me. She would scream if I tried to carry her. We were leaving the store one day and she was holding my hand and some older man reprimanded me for not carrying her. I was nice about it though and said, "Oh, she hates to be carried and wants to be a big girl." Then I walked away.

Really, I am so surprised how rude people can be sometimes. Jumping to conclusions and everything when they really just have no idea.

I have to give him credit though... he did think she should be carried, and not the other way around!

#9 ·
According to our nanny, this happened last Friday. Thought it would be good for a chuckle around the same type of story...

5 YO DD and 8 YO DS are climbing on rocks that surround a fountain after getting a post-day-camp snack. Older gentleman stops in front of nanny and says "You must be the babysitter because you clearly don't care if these kids break their necks." Nanny is trying to think of response when 5 YO (normally shy and hides from strangers) puts hands on hips and says, loudly "I am NOT going to break my neck and my mommy says its OK and YOU need to leave nanny alone!"

To which I can only add "You go, girl!"

Its fun when they can stick up for themselves!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.