Are you sending him to Preschool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds just turned 2 on Tues and for the 2nd time this week I had somone ask if I was sending him to preschool in the fall.

I am just speechless is this a common age for children to go to preschool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 06:39 PM

I got this a lot with dd when she was still 2. I think there are "preschool" (i.e., daycare) programs for kids that age, but we never tried them. I'm not a fan of academic programs for very young children.

On the other hand, I think a lot of people ask because they have a hard time determining the age of young kids--they might think your ds is older than he is.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 06:40 PM

So sad

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
I got this a lot with dd when she was still 2. I think there are "preschool" (i.e., daycare) programs for kids that age, but we never tried them. I'm not a fan of academic programs for very young children.

On the other hand, I think a lot of people ask because they have a hard time determining the age of young kids--they might think your ds is older than he is.
: They very well might know how old he is though because our culture does tend to push early pre-school.
#5 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 08:18 PM

Our preschool does not enroll until 2.5yo and discourages kids entering before age 3.
When DS was younger, we did some classes (gymnastics, swimming, mommy & me at the preschool, playgroups, etc) and that tended to satisfy those that thought he needed to be "socialized"
#6 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 PM

I think a lot of people do send their kids to preschool in the year between the 2nd and 3rd birthday, in some cases it may be a less expensive form of daycare - for example if someone had a nanny before they might send to preschool as early as possible to save money, or early preschool might allow the stay at home parent to return to work. Also I think a lot of people have come to believe that you need to send little children to school in order to prepare them for kindergarten and the education system in general. This seems nutty to me, I figure she can learn to sit in a circle and be quiet when she's 3, or when she's 5, what's the big difference? I used to worry about socialization, everyone seemed to think it was so important, but its not like we're hermits living in a cave somewhere - we have plenty of family and friends of all ages who we see regularly and who teach her plenty about mutual respect and community in a much gentler and more loving environment than a school can provide.

I have a somewhat related story. Twice in the last couple of months people have expressed amazement at all of the things my 2 year old knows (alphabet song, counting, shapes, colors, normal stuff I think) saying "she knows so much considering she doesn't go to school". I thought that was the weirdest comment because to me it seems obvious that a child at home one on one with her parent is going to get more attention and learn more than a child in a busy classroom with lots of other kids and only one or 2 teachers. I think some people have gotten the idea that kids can only learn if they're in school.

Miss Chris and the guy in the city that never sleeps.
Making a home for our big girl 3/06 and our new boy 2/10
#7 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Start telling them you're going to homeschool. That'll start a conversation.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#8 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 PM

DD is starting in the Fall - she is 3.5. 2 days/wk, 2.5 hrs/day. I would never have considered it at 2yr and I thought they had to be 2.9 before they could attend preschool. Maybe that's just in Massachusetts?
#9 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 10:25 PM

I'm considering sending my son to Montessori next year, when he's 32 months or so. He's got great social skills and solid basics in counting, letters, etc., but most of his friends will be attending the program for a few hours twice a week, and I think he'll want to go to be with them. Of course, his readiness and interest is the deciding factor, but I'm betting he'll see this as him attending a class without Mommy there and playing with his friends that he sees every week anyway in playgroup.
#10 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 11:48 PM

2 is a very common age to start preschool here. I feel like some sort of delinquent sometimes when I tell people my daughter is not in school yet. A dad I was just casually chatting with at the park one day actually sort of grilled me about why she wasn't in school yet. :

The earliest I'm considering preschool for her is next fall (2009) when she will be almost 4, but I am still not sure. There is a nice play-based preschool that I'm looking into for a couple of mornings a week.

coolshine.gif

#11 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 AM

We're not sending our DD to preK. We don't get as many questions about it as we used to. Maybe I'm just getting better at fielding the initial questions so there aren't many follow up questions.
#12 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 01:19 AM

I wouldn't even consider it before age 3.

Even though we are probably going to homeschool I think my son would probably find preschool fun. He is a bit shy and we don't have any friends with kids his age, but he seems to like the group activities we do (library story time) so 3 hours/day x 3 days/week might be good for both of us. We will play it by ear.
#13 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 01:20 AM

We had always planned on starting DS in part-time preschool at 3 (the school year would start about 3 months past his third birthday). A number of things have come up that make me feel that starting him at 2 would be a good idea. He seems to do wonderful in a structured environment with other childen. He had fairly severe social anxiety and separation anxiety and has been making strides, but the nursery at the gym for an hour isn't perfect because it lacks some structure and learning opportunities. He is also speech delayed and I suspect that a preschool environment might help him overcome those delays faster. Lastly the schedule and regularity of being at the same place 2 or 3 days a week for 3 or so hours consistently with the same kids and teachers would be good for him.

We are looking for a preschool or Montessori, not a daycare. I don't think that preschool and daycare ate the same thing. We don't need daycare but think that part time preschool would be beneficial to our son. I don't know why this seems a crazy invalid idea or something to be lamented. I have tried classes and playdates that I attend with him and he clings to me piteously and refuses to participate with the other kids. He cries for a minute when I drop him at the gym nursery but then stops, he is unsure of himself and doesn't pick an activity on his own or join another child unless he is invited or directed to do so by another child or instructor. My heart soars to see him making arts and crafts happily with other children or putting together a puzzle with a teacher or playing cars with another child. He longingly watches the neighborhood kids out the window, but is too shy to play with them if we approach. At home he gets bored and often refuses to do educational activities with me in lieu of clinging and nursing all day.

I did have preconceived notions of blithely going from one activity to another; puzzles then read a book, then build blocks, and I do sneak these things in whenever possible throughout the day, plus of course little things like helping mommy do dishes, water garden, etc... It seems pompous to assume that every child is the same, ie "I teach my child what she needs at home, why don't you do as I do [or you're a craphole parent]". Well because I don't have your child for one thing. It might be OK for children to all be different and the same thing not to work for every child right?

So I do hope to start him in preschool this year at 2. Its apparently not a regionally accepted practice (or MDC accepted practice) and I am having a hard time finding one that is indeed a preschool or Montessori (not daycare), but they do exist. I found a wonderful Montessori that does a toddler class 4 three hour sessions a week and comes highly recommended from a like-minded mama, but it is full for this year. Anyway, on the hunt for what is best for my LO and hoping that gives some h8ers food for thought.

In answer to OP, not the usual age for preschool, at least where I live, but hopefully not to be considered freakish either.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#14 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 01:45 AM

Over here its common to start at 18 months so I get it all the time about DD (who just turned 18 months).. I keep hearing how "awesome" it is because Japanese preschools also potty train the children so you don't have to. There is NO way I would send my child to preschool at a year and a half. I don't even feel comfortable with the two hours she is suppose to be away during church (the church I go to starts nursery at 18 months). I would never think of having her gone several days a month..

Im really planning on homeschooling anyway so thats what I tell people when they won't leave me alone

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#15 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

I have 2 older children and we home school and both people who made the comment have known us for years and know we home school and know how old DS is.

My middle son(13) went to preschool the year before kindergarten it was a great place at a small church and a dear friend was his teacher I just didnt realize preschool age started so young now a days
#16 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 02:11 AM

I'm sending my son to kindergarten when he turns 3. He's very bright and curious and highly energetic, it's too boring here with me and the baby. Day in, day out. I happen to think the kindergarten is a great place and will be a lot of fun... judging from our visits and time spent there. They have a lot of resources that I don't/
#17 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 07:53 AM

Here, many preschools including Montessori's will take them as early as 18 months. I'm planning on sending my guy a couple mornings a week in the fall, he'll be turning 3 in October. I think he'll love it.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#18 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 AM

Most places around here you need to sign up a year or 2 in advance to get into a good one ( or of your first choice) Nathan started his montessori program at 2yr 10mo 2 mornings a week. He was very speech delayed and it really helped him to HAVE to use his language skills. Being the baby w/ me home full time and 2 older brothers he was catered to alot He loved it and still does. he will go to kindergarten next fall so this year he will attend montessori 5 mornings a week.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#19 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 09:35 AM

We go to a parent/infant program that runs for kids up to age three. Then preschool begins at age three. We'll have my DS go then because he's Deaf and it's an ASL school. He needs the language exposure that I just can't give him. But then, I know I'll be bawling when that happens.
#20 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 AM

I belong to a very mainstream board, and 2 seems to be a preschool age....I do plan to send my twins to preschool when they are 3 or maybe even 4. I think it will help them get ready to start school, become more independant and help with socialization without mommy always being there.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#21 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Start telling them you're going to homeschool. That'll start a conversation.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#22 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 12:01 PM

My DD turned 2 on July1, and no one has asked us about preschool yet.

I might send her to a playbased one a couple of hours a couple days a week NEXT year (ie...when she's three), but that's more for me than her :. I do NOT want an academically oriented preschool for a three year old.

My mom sent me for her own sanity (and ended up doing two years since the public school wouldn't let me start kindy early), and they were playbased and very pleasant experiences for me. I really enjoyed my preschools, and I think as long as the child is enjoying the experience, there's no reason to feel guilty about sending him/her to one, even if they're "only 2" (the montessoris around here starts at 18mos or so). At the same time, I don't think there's necessarily a *need* for preschool at any age, and I wouldn't feel badly about never sending your child to preschool.
#23 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 01:44 PM

My DD turns 3 at the end of December and she will start preschool this fall. Two mornings a week. She'll be 2 yrs 9 mos. I'm very pleased with the co-operative preschool she'll be attending. It's a very small group - class max. is 8 children with one educator and one parent helper. I know it will be a very positive experience for my normally quiet and introverted girl. I will be participating 2 or more mornings a month as a parent helper and I am the vice president of the school for the coming year. Lots of parental participation, parent education, etc. It's a play-based environment with a big focus on nature, music and song and exploring the world of science. The ECE is bilingual and so will be introducing French to the children as well.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#24 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 02:12 PM

I agree two years old is very young!
My grandmother has been trying to "convince" me that day care is good for my son (12 months)...Luckly, I dont see her much.
#25 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 04:00 PM

Most people in our area have their kids in some sort of pre-school/daycare around a year old. I prefer to wait until at least 3 if possible.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#26 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 04:23 PM

IMO, 2 yo is a little young for preschool -- at least for my kids. I've heard of it being done, but my kids were not nearly ready for the experience at that age. And most kids in our area start going to preschool at age 3 ... and they go for 2 years before starting kindergarten.

My son will be 3.5 when he starts preschool in the fall and honestly, he's really, really ready for it. He'll go 2 mornings a week (for 2.5 hours per day). Next year (at age 4.5) he'll go 3 mornings a week. My DD just turned 2, but I'm considering keeping her home next year because she'll be a "young" 3 and I feel she would probably benefit from waiting a bit. We'll see.
#27 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post
I don't think that preschool and daycare are the same thing.
They aren't!!!
#28 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 09:06 PM

I started DD at 36 months in a PreK 3 program (she's now 5 and will be entering kindergarten this fall.) The program followed the regular school year, stressed learning through play not academics, and was in session from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m., Monday through Friday. I was really worried that it would be too much, but, she absolutely loved it! Never once said she didn't want to go and actually missed school during breaks/holidays. It was such a positive, wonderful experience for her. She got so much out of it and truly blossomed that year. As long as the program is positive and age appropriate, and the child is ready for the challenge, I believe that preschool can be a great learning experience for kids.
My DS is 18 months and scheduled to start a 2 day a week, 3 hrs. per session program this fall. When I signed him up in February, I thought he might be ready. But, he still seems so young, we've decided to hold back another year.
#29 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 PM

Two is the age that children in my area most commonly begin preschool (in the fall that they are two, not the date they turn two). Preschool in my town is usually 2 to 2 1/2 hours long, either 2 or 3 days a week. Many of the churches have them.

My kids all went at age two and loved it. There's new toys to play with (those big blocks and tons of dress-up clothes) and they enjoyed being around other kids. They had circle time each day with songs and stories and went outside to play each day (unless the weather prohibited). The preschool did lots of activites that I could have done (and often did) at home (planting seeds, fingerpainting, making binoculars out of toilet paper rolls), but it helpful to me to have someone else contributing to a fun and "educational" upbringing. By "educational" I mean talking about nature and the seasons and sharing and taking turns and up/down/touch your toes - not a sit and do a worksheet sort of thing.

So, to the OP's question, it wouldn't surprise me at all that you are being asked that question - I often ask it of other mothers of twos myself.

(I also don't think it is at all necessary, just a fun extra that works for some kids/families)

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#30 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 PM

Around here true preschools don't start till 2 1/2 at the earliest. In fact many more start at 3 than 2 1/2. All of the ones that start at 2 1/2 are half day programs. Any that start before 2 1/2 are really daycare and keep the kid all day. They will often have names with the word school in it, but they are open till 6 in the evening and go all year.

I am planning to send DS this fall when he's 2 1/2 simply b/c he seems ready. I also hope I can sneak him into first grade a year early (he is precocious and b/c he was born in february would be one of the oldest in the class) by sending him to a private 3 year Montessori school through the kindergarten year.

I've ended up scrambling to make this happen at the last minute b/c I didn't realize how ready he was for preK till this spring.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page