Meal Time - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 04-01-2002, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS (16 mos) has in the past month or two really started to eat solids in earnest. He also loves many of the foods gret mentioned, including especially scrambled eggs and tofu in its many forms (careful, soy can be allergenic for babes). He is particular about cheese, but loves co-jack. He also loves toast; we get a wheat bread specially created by our co-op for babes and kids who might otherwise not like whole grain bread.

Other big hits: grains in their many forms (barley, bulgur, rice, millet, etc) and pasta (much to my chagrin), beans (whites and blacks esp), lentils, and greens. Regular oatmeal is also a fave. I make ours with a little vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and sometimes cardamom. Mine gets topped with buttermilk and honey or brown sugar, but he's happy with it plain. We've expanded to include rolled rye and barley.

He's really digging grapefruit and orange pieces these days.

Once your babe has been on solids for a while, I encourage letting them try bits of whatever you're having, assuming it isn't on the list of foods to be avoided by toddlers, like raw honey. And, reintroduce periodically because they're prone to changing their minds.
#32 of 55 Old 04-01-2002, 07:32 PM

DS has been really picky lately. He just turned a year old, and loves most of the same things you mentioned. He also enjoys spinach mixed with rice or cheese, plain rice in little piles on the table, shredded cheese (he just discovered this Saturday), grapes peeled and quartered, any type of pasta - I buy the whole grain kind so at least he gets something from it! Sometimes he really gets into yogurt, I get those little organic ones from the health food store.
I feel like I'm lacking creativity when it comes to his food. I haven't tried beans very often. Do you just serve them plain?
#33 of 55 Old 04-01-2002, 09:42 PM

Regarding beans . . . we are veggie (well, I am and DH mostly is at home by default) so we eat a lot of beans in our evening meal dishes. So, much of the time the beans are not plain but come from the meal we're having. Same with the grains.

I know that DH tried some salad beans (red and kidney and pinto, I think) from a can for a snack, and DS basically rejected them. I think the first and most thing is that the beans need to be warm, not room temp. Also, I have found that he really does prefer the black and white beans, especially navy beans, which have a nice but mild flavor. I am not sure off the top of my head what you could add to the beans for a little bit of flavor that would be really easy. Let me think on it a bit.
#34 of 55 Old 04-01-2002, 10:06 PM

sausages, strawberries strawberries strawberries, cake, strawberries strawberries strawberries, egg and tomato sandwiches, strawberries strawberries, apple slices, strawberries strawberries strawberries, soup, strawberries strawberries strawberries, tuna, strawberries strawberries strawberries, rice balls with things in them, strawberries strawberries strawberries.

Hope this helps.

strawberries strawberries strawberries

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#35 of 55 Old 04-02-2002, 12:30 AM

Strawberries are great (but buy them organic they are one of the most heavily sprayed crops often 27 different pesticide/herbicides).

My dd loves cottage cheese, avocado, sweet potato, yogurt, and waffles w/ applesauce.

I'm glad to see all the above ideas. She hasn't been interested in the new foods I offer but you've all give me some great ideas.
#36 of 55 Old 04-02-2002, 08:38 AM

Since your DS is only 13 mos, you might want to try the strawberries very slowly, or even wait another couple of months. Strawberries are one of those highly allergenic foods that babes shouldn't try until a certain age (I think one year???).

Gosh I can't wait 'til summer so DS can try the strawberries! I love 'em more than anything, but DH is allergic so I never have anyone to share them with.
#37 of 55 Old 04-02-2002, 09:31 AM

My kids-all fruit,and all junk food.:
#38 of 55 Old 04-02-2002, 09:32 AM

PS-That's what they like,not what we feed them BTW.
#39 of 55 Old 04-02-2002, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lee's mama
I'm looking for more variety for my 13 mo ds's diet. He loves to eat chunks of avocado, banana, or sweet potato, frozen blueberries, yogurt, arrowroot cookies and peas. That's it! He will almost only eat things he can feed himself. What does your toddler love to eat?
My son and I are vegetarians, and my husband is by default. We don't try to make sure he gets a good mix every day, but instead take a "week perspective" -- someting I read in Sears & Sears. So I make sure over the course of a week he gets a proper variety.

I also buy exclusively organic foods -- a challenge due to the expense, but I shop frequently so nothing ever goes to waste in the fridge -- thank goodness for lots of co-ops in St. Paul.

We also don't have any junk food around. We figure if it's not there he won't beg for it... So at the store he goes nuts when he sees a pear! I have to buy one before we shop or at least some chewy bread! Occasionally we do have ginger snap cookies and some ice cream, but we only serve them once in a while. Instead, a treat is fruit.

My 18 month old loves...

* Finger Bananas - he hold them and peel them himself (more or less)

* Vegie / Minestrone / Vegie Barley Soup - a miracle food as he eats all the vegies in it. Plus we give him shredded cheese and oyster crackers to mix in.

* Really good Pizza - ie we go to a pizza shop that uses fresh vegies (probably not organic though... ) And we order a spinach mushroom pizza in advance, so when we show up it's ready.

* Fruit - pears and apples, crushed pineapple

* Brown Cow Organic Full Fat Plain Yogurt - even though it's not sweet Seamus loves it. It's the creamiest brand around. Everything under the sun gets dipped in it.

* Waffles with stuff to dip them into -- fruit spread or covered with defrosted frozen strawberries and their "juice" for dipping

* Any kind of pasta -- again red sauce if you use a high quality one or make your own is a great source of vegies & vitamins etc.

* As for beans - if they are mixed in with stuff like soup etc.

* Cheese, cheese, and more cheese

* Risotto with lots of cheese and vegies mixed in

* Polenta with sauce

* Bread

* Amy's Mac & Cheese with Broccoli (just add it to the pasta water when the pasta is almost done to blanch it)

I hope this gives you some ideas. I'd love to hear what others do.
#40 of 55 Old 04-02-2002, 04:34 PM

my dd is 16 1/2 months and everyday it changes. Right now "Nana" is the only thing I can count on her eating. Everything else is a crap shoot from day to day. She mostly will eat pasta and sausages if she can get them, although I really try to limit the sausages. She will also eat Edemame. (If you don't know they are edible soybeans in the pod. You can cook them fast and they are delicious. Its a great way to get her protein in when she isn't eating meat.)

She really just likes to play with food. Sacking is her biggest thing. Veggie booty, Veggie sticks, sesme oat sticks, and pretzels not made with hydrogenated oils are godsends for snacking.

Keep them coming. I would really like to see more ideas, especially for a girl who won't eat cheese, cottage cheese, or yogurt...

Karen
#41 of 55 Old 04-02-2002, 04:45 PM

Eli loves fruit, beans, rice, vegetables lightly steamed and sprayed with Braggs amino acids, whole grain bread, lentil sprouts, tempeh, cheese, etc.

One of our favorite snacks, especially with teething, is yogurt pops. I make smoothies with yogurt, fruit (bananas, frozen berries, mangos, etc), rice milk. I add in wheat germ and ground flax seeds. He drinks a smoothie and I freeze the rest in popsicle makers.

Dipping is a big thing too (thank you Dr. Sears). I make hummus, tzatziki, and peanutbutter dip and give him cucumbers, steamed carrot sticks, and bread sticks to dip in it.

There are days, however, when he survives on breastmilk and blueberries...

jeanie
#42 of 55 Old 04-03-2002, 05:26 PM

My ds loves mixed beans- kidney, chickpeas, lima, navy beans warmed up-- makes a great finger food snack or mixed into our dinners. He also loves peas and carrot bites, organic yogurt, cheese, bagels with tiny bit of cream cheese, cut up avacado, peaches, pears, melons, loves brown rice cereal with applesauce, brown rice, br pasta, lentil/veggie/barley soup, arrowroot cookies, organic rice cakes, organic crackers
WOW, after writing all of these items, I just realize ds isn't as picky as I thought he was!! I sometimes find it hard to be creative or to think of alternative meals when ds rejects what we are eating, so I often use the Heinz toddler jarred foods as backup--I know that so many of you will cringe or may flame me for this, but I think as a backup they are a full meal in one, convienent(esp if we are on the run) and ds never refuses them.

Forgot to add that sometimes ds likes chicken and turkey, esp. in stirfry, but he usually ends up spitting the meat out, esp. if it is too chewy for him to chew and swallow. Anyone elses kids do this?
#43 of 55 Old 04-03-2002, 05:33 PM

I've always been good about making DS's food, but we keep several Earth's Best jars in our cabinet for the occasional tough day, and you're right, he LOVES them. I can't imagine anyone would give you a hard time over that!!
#44 of 55 Old 04-03-2002, 05:34 PM

teddy puffs (Healthy Times, organic), and breadsticks are also a favorite snack,
...as ds is throughly enjoying his teddy puffs this moment
#45 of 55 Old 04-03-2002, 06:14 PM
Banned

My daugher loves spinach, it's different for a kid to like it, but she does!
#46 of 55 Old 04-03-2002, 06:59 PM

Everytime I think I must be starving my poor girl or not offering her enough variety I come to these boards and find out you're all doing about the same as me! Such a reassurance!

*sigh of relief*

and yes, Eliza absolutely hoovers edamame.
#47 of 55 Old 04-04-2002, 09:18 AM

snoonootsmomma, a couple of times, DH has given DS bits of turkey from his sandwich and yes, DS spits it out every time. The cats love it when this happens.

IowaMama and others, DS loves greens too, especically kale and chard. He'll grab it from the back of the grocery cart and start chowing in the grocery store. We serve this sauteed with a little olive oil and garlic, and also include it in recipes, especially soup.
#48 of 55 Old 04-04-2002, 09:51 AM

My son likes to eat greens on occasion- Twee, pea? (tree, please).

Sometimes though when he hasn't been keen on green veggies, we throw them into scrambled eggs- Hugh will eat anything with scrambled eggs, it seems!

Mama to 3 kiddles. joy.giffencing.gif Doing my best and trying to stay afloat.vbac.gif

#49 of 55 Old 04-05-2002, 03:36 AM

My son is 18 moths old. He really likes :

Potatoes ( in any and all forms)
Cheese
Yogurt
Pasta
Green beans
Crackers
Broccolli
Cauliflower
Avacado
Pretzels
Pears
Oranges
Apples
Pickles
Cheese Pizza
M&Ms
His great grandpas home made Vanilla icecream
Cheerios
Peanut butter on a spoon ( in his highchair)
Assorted juices
Ice water !!!! He REALLY likes a sippy cup with some water and ice . Go figure.
Scrambled Eggs
He does NOT like :

Bananas ( he spits them out ) He has NEVER liked bananas!

Meat ...which he spits out as well...should it grace his lips.

Toast . I am not sure why. I tried diferent types of bread, jam , etc. Any and all combinations..even plain. He just tries a taste and spits it right back out.

He really loves all sorts of vegetables, which is great and which I am very grateful for. I shall be incouraging this of course.

I just give him a little bit of what ever I have. If he likes he can have some...if not then we try something else.
#50 of 55 Old 04-06-2002, 02:52 AM

My 18 month old is almost a fussy eater; but, he loves gardenburgers with ketchup.
Almost anything with ketchup is good. In fact, he likes easting just ketchup too!
#51 of 55 Old 04-13-2002, 06:30 PM

My ds is 15mos and he loves
guacomole!!
polenta with spinach and garlic
pizza (cheese)
any type of pasta with sauce
cavatappi with pesto
gnocchi
potatoes in many forms
strawberry yogurt
ice cream (very rare treat)
eggs
sausage (veggie)
multigrain oat bread
goldfish
rice cakes
apples
#52 of 55 Old 04-13-2002, 11:58 PM

But these days thier favorite is watermelon and corn on the cobb!These are offered for snacks mostly,not usually for supper bc they can eat it and walk around and play.But they are 18 months tho.
#53 of 55 Old 04-14-2002, 01:20 AM

My dd is 18 months old. Dh and I are not vegetarians, but dd mostly is, just by preference -- she doesn't seem to much like meat. Other than a resistance to eating meat, she's a VERY adventurous eater for a toddler, I think. Some of her favorites:

* Pizza. (We had pizza tonight. "Pizza" is her newest word )
* Cheese (any kind, but especially string cheese).
* Apples
* Pineapple - fresh, canned, or dried.
* Raisins (for a while, she lived on raisins and breastmilk)
* Crackers (any kind)
* Buttered bread (any kind; we usually feed her whole wheat. She prefers GOOD bread.)
* Egg rolls. (What we usually get her when eating at a Chinese restaurant.)
* Tortillas. (I got takeout from Chipotle's last night with my sister. For dd, I got a couple of their vegetarians soft-shell tacos.)
* Chili. (We make a chili with cut-up kielbasa, frozen corn, canned stewed tomatoes, and canned beans -- it's one of my I-don't-have-time-to-cook dishes. Dd ignores the keilbasa while devouring the kidney beans, black beans, and corn.)
* Scrambled eggs. (My standard lunch when we're out of leftovers is two eggs, scrambled in the pan, and toasted English muffins. Dd likes eggs so much I've decided I'm going up to three eggs because she'll happily eat a whole one on her own.)
* English muffins. (See above. She likes the "offin" part, too.)
* Sugar snap peas (steamed or raw)
* Broccoli

Also, if it's some sort of ghastly junk food that no one in their right mind would feed to a toddler, she LOVES it. She has had the opportunity to sample chocolate, ice cream, jelly beans, and Cool Ranch Doritos, and of course she loves them all. *sigh*.

She's a remarkably good eater and will try a LOT of new things. Of course, she's also a totally unpredictable eater. She'll LOVE something one night (this is particularly true of vegetables) and refuse it two nights later. She'll also refuse things I know she'd LOVE if she tried them (like strawberries). I'd say that right now, her most reliably preferred food are the scrambled eggs; she will eat all I give her and nag me for more. She'll nag me for an "offin," too, but she's less likely to eat the whole thing.

I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the things she will willingly eat.
#54 of 55 Old 04-14-2002, 01:59 AM

I NEVER say this in fornt of ds, but he is, at 15 months a light and picky eater. Breastmilk is the only constant, everythign else varies from day to day, and some days he eats next to nothing. These are the food he has loved at least once:

bananas
mangos
frozen blueberries
frozen peas
broccoli
spaghetti with red sauce (I try to use whole wheat or spelt pasta)
waffles
jelly beans:
guacamole
frijoles a la holla
chicken
cheese, cheese, cheese
last month he ate whole grain bread, but no bread so far this month. . .
breadsticks (hard and dry from the local Whole Foods)
ONCE he ate a yogurt, but he really liked it, he just won't try it again:
scrambled eggs (I mix in a little rice cereal, rice milk and sea salt)
baked french fried and tater tots
pizza

and I bought some asparagus to try tomorrow!!
#55 of 55 Old 04-14-2002, 11:58 PM

I take baked sweet potatoes and mix in a little silken tofu and make little balls--she loves those. For breakfast she loves french toast made w/millet bread, and protein smoothies. Soups are also great--homemade lentil, corn chowder, bean, etc. Hummus w/pita bread, veggie corn dogs, spinach pancakes (I use all kinds of vegetables to make pancakes,) and she'll nibble steamed veggies of all kinds--carrots, broccoli, zucchini, kale, peas, etc.
We eat some free range meat and farmed fish here, so turkey burgers w/spinach and carrots mixed in, and fish fingers go over well. And I'm very happy because she's recently started eating salad!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page