Organic milk or not? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I came across this while researching milk.

www.vocalyocal.com/

Is there any credence to this?

Ive just started giving my 12month old organic whole milk. I thought it was better then the regular milk thats full of hormones and antibiotics but now Im concerned. What do you think?
What kind of milk do you/are you going to use/supplement with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 10:53 AM

If your toddler is still breastfed there is no need to add another animal's milk to her diet. My kids are breastfed well passed 2 but they do drink small amounts of almond, soy and rice milk.
I had not heard that about organic cow's milk before. My nephew drinks a lot of it.
Is un-organic milk not heated to as high a temp because it's still pastuerized.

I'm sure someone will recommend raw milk and from what I've read it's the way to go if you are going to consume other animal's milk.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 08-04-2008, 11:02 AM

I had not heard abou that... odd.
My son is too young for non-mommy milk, but when it is time for that I plan on only giving him raw milk from a local dairy. It's very expensive ($8/gallon), but it is much more nutritious. And it's not like I'm going to be going through multi gallons of it, so for me it will be worth the expense.

I will have to do research, but I would think that organic milk is not much different than conventional - it's all pastuerized and homogeonized. If you want a different product then you'd need to go raw.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 AM

My twins have been on whole organic milk since they were about 12 months old (not full time until about 18 months) They have continued to gain weight and are extremely healthy. Not sure if this story is true or not but I have not had the same experiences with organic milk.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:19 AM

My kid had to be force weaned at 13 months and has been on organic milk since...never had an issue with growth (she's still, at 28 months, at 100% in height and weight).

Not my experience at all.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 08-04-2008, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm at work and can't see the article, but my dd is 14 mo and has a little bit of raw cows milk everyday. I am still nursing but also pregnant and my supply is way low these days, so she gets 2-3 ounces of the raw milk. We haven't had any problems what so ever.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Not all organic milk is ultrapasteurized, although a lot is. To say that milk is worse because it is organic is, well, CRAZY!

Whole Foods 365 organic milk is pasteurized and also from small family farms that practice pasture-based dairy farming. That's what we use.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Here's a little article about why organic milk is a little different than conventional: how it's processed
Summary - because it has to travel farther to the store, it's pasturized at a higher temp, killing all bacteria etc instead of just most.

Now, I would not think that it would cause ahy problems witgh weight gain in a child. However, the stuff that is killed with pasturization might be needed in order to correctly process the milk. We BFing moms know to NEVER harshly heat our breastmilk because it ruins the nutritional value of it. I would think the same holds true for cow milk. Some kiddos might need the extra goodness that still survives in conventional... and better yet in raw.
raw milk FAQs

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 08-04-2008, 01:50 PM

Our milk choices are non-organic raw milk from the farm, ultra-pasteurized organic milk from the store, or hormone-free conventional milk from the store. I deliberate over these choices all the time. The raw milk wins, hands-down, but it's a farther drive to get it, and we often don't use a whole gallon before it spoils. But the grocery store choices are tough. The conventional milk is somewhat local, which is great, as opposed to the organic, which is trucked from farther away (hence the ultra-pasteurization). They are both hormone-free. In the end, we end up using a little of each.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderMae View Post
If your toddler is still breastfed there is no need to add another animal's milk to her diet. My kids are breastfed well passed 2 but they do drink small amounts of almond, soy and rice milk.
I had not heard that about organic cow's milk before. My nephew drinks a lot of it.
Is un-organic milk not heated to as high a temp because it's still pastuerized.

I'm sure someone will recommend raw milk and from what I've read it's the way to go if you are going to consume other animal's milk.
Organic, pastured, raw milk is great. If you are concerned about pathogens, you can pasteurize it yourself at 170 degrees (I think) instead of 485 or whatever she said in her blog.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Chick View Post
I had not heard abou that... odd.
My son is too young for non-mommy milk, but when it is time for that I plan on only giving him raw milk from a local dairy. It's very expensive ($8/gallon), but it is much more nutritious. And it's not like I'm going to be going through multi gallons of it, so for me it will be worth the expense.

I will have to do research, but I would think that organic milk is not much different than conventional - it's all pastuerized and homogeonized. If you want a different product then you'd need to go raw.
Actually, many places you can buy non-homogenized milk. It is much better that way. That's what I buy...organic, pasteurized, non-homogenized milk at the food co-op; raw, organic, cow's milk from a local farm; and raw, organic, goat's milk from a local farm.

If you're worried about milk and nutrition, goat milk is much easier for humans to digest than cow's milk. Goat and sheep milk are also higher in calcium and protein than cow's milk.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:15 PM

Not all milks are created equal. I'd be weary of steering clear of organic milk b/c this one person says it causes children to lose weight. If you can, go for organic, whole, raw milk, second to whole raw milk, then organic whole pasturized milk, etc, but steer clear of ulta-pasturized if possible. I know the organic milk I chose is local and specifically states NOT ultra-pasturized. We keep it simple though and continue to bf and use rice milk in cereal, drinks, etc. for the rest. We don't use (or want to use) much dairy milk regardless.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:18 PM

I think the real question should be - raw milk or pasturised...and if thats the question, then there is no doubt that raw milk is better - organic or not! lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLondon View Post
I came across this while researching milk.

www.vocalyocal.com/

Is there any credence to this?

Ive just started giving my 12month old organic whole milk. I thought it was better then the regular milk thats full of hormones and antibiotics but now Im concerned. What do you think?
What kind of milk do you/are you going to use/supplement with?
I never heard this but I've often wondered why organic milk has such a longer shelf life than regular milk? This could be one explanation, right?
Old 08-04-2008, 03:31 PM

DS needs lactose-free milk and our choices are conventional lact-aid brand or Organic Valley lactose free. The lact-aid makes DS super-duper uncomfortably gassy. So, since we'd tend toward organic in any case, there's no way we can go with the alternative. (This ended up requiring a "conversation" with my mom regarding our overnight visits.) I tried goat, but we didn't end up caring for the taste.

This blogger and her audience seem not so into the whole organic movement. For example, one of the comments is by a grandmother who says 'I am not up on all this “organic” stuff…having raised my child on “regular” food. ' Not too many years ago "regular" food didn't have the pesticides, GMOs, hormones and unhealthy (for people and earth) farming practices that one finds in many conventional foods now. This blog reminds me of the scare about spinach that some were blaming on organic farms a while ago, when it was actually a problem with large consolodated packaging and processing facilities.

A rule of thumb that I heard once from a chef was to choose local foods over organic foods if they are mutually exclusive because for local foods, you can often see for yourself how the farm is managed and you might be able to influence practices that you don't like. I'm not 100% sure this works as well for a regular family as it does for a chef for a large restaraunt, but I like the idea. Along those lines, I know that there are small family-farms that are not "organic" because they don't comply with some part of the official standard, but do farm sustainably and health-fully. Likewise, there are organic brands that are huge factory farms that comply with the letter, but not really the spirit of the organic standards. Identifying which is which and making choices accordingly is not always so easy!

... stepping of soap-box now...
Old 08-04-2008, 03:35 PM

I tried some non-homogenized organic milk once since we can't get raw... it was GROSS! None of us could stand the stuff.

I will always try to find the organic milk that's the most local. Still, I'd rather take ultra-pasteurized (and have to perhaps supplement with pro-biotics) than take regular milk and the pesticides and antibiotics and hormones and whatever other crud is in them.

We limit our milk drinking anyway... we usually use almond milk for cereal and we drink water.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 08-04-2008, 05:10 PM

DS drinks organic whole milk. I want to make the switch to raw but we just can't stomach it. The only supplier around sells sour milk. He still BF's on demand so I'm not too worried about it. It's just a supplement.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Old 08-04-2008, 05:15 PM

To begin with a single anecdotal case doesn't qualify as scientific research. Sporadic growth patterns are common in toddler, so the not gaining for a short period then a sudden growth spurt could be nothing more than coincidence.

Then she is linking to unrelated choices. She has link ultra-pasteurization with organic. One can easily buy ultra-pasteurized conventional milk, it is not some thing special only done to organic milk. One can also buy organic cow milk which has not been ultra-pasteurized (in my state all beverages are pasturized one way or another by law, so to get raw one has to go out of state, but one can get it pasteurized the regular way and I get cider pasteurized with ultraviolet lights at the farmers market.)

Ofecourse there may be times when it is difficult to find organic cow milk that hasn't been ultra pasteurized, but then one often has the same issue with other foods. For instance last time I was at the store I had to choose between 100% whole wheat bread and organic mostly white flour bread.

Also, there is the whole issue that cows milk is not a necessary part of a human toddler diet. OP so long as your nursing you don't need to give any type of milk other than human.

Finally if one wishes to buy milk that has been pasteurized but has not been homogenized, then one can buy skim milk and cream, pour them together and shake.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 08-04-2008, 05:49 PM

AFAIK, even ultra-pasteurized isn't heated past 250-300. So, right there, I'm not impressed with her "research."

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:51 PM

We tried organic milk with our little guy and for some reason or another it really disagrees with his system. (it is pasteurised) There is only really one brand in our area so we're out of luck on that front.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 PM

I've said it here a hundred times before, and I'll probably say it a hundred more times:

Local milk from a dairy you trust is much better than any organic milk you can get from the store. And it's regular prices. Many places do not even use the RGBH hormone because it is costly and detrimental to cows' long term health. All you have to do is ask.

I buy homogonized from a dairy about 5 miles from here, and it is a hundred times better than milk from the store. Even one of the bigger brands around here, Rutter's, is rgbh free so in a pinch, I can run to the convenience store. There are at least 10 dairies around here for milk like this, and several which you can buy raw from, if that's what you like. We don't, though.

One thing to keep in mind, not every small farm can pay the expensive fee to use the word "organic" on their labels. That doesn't mean at all that they are bad or even un-organic. It just means they need to pay the bills and not some government agencies.

Support your local farmers, everyone benfits. I always choose local conventional over organic non-local whenever I can.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:35 PM

Ironically it wasn't until I weaned my dd at 22 months and started her on two bottles of whole cows milk that she started to climb from 0% to 20%. We always only buy the normally pasturized though and NEVER the ultra-pasteurized. Horizon just started to ultra theres. Yuck!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyS View Post
Horizon just started to ultra theres. Yuck!
AND Horizon is pretty shady w/farming & organic practices anyway, so best to steer clear of them anyhow.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:54 PM

I don't know...I mean, my DS hasn't really gained any weight since he was 12 months old and he's 20 months old now...he's been pretty much stuck at 24-25 pounds but he keeps getting taller so I wasnt too worried. He doesn't drink cows milk though, only breast milk and eats food (but not very much of it!) I was thinking of giving him some organic milk so now I'm wondering. Hmmm.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:02 AM

Another fan of raw milk from the farm... I know the farmers and pick it up at a dropoff site in the city every Tuesday. LOVE it. And I hate the taste of milk normally! DD loves it as well. We try to stay away from pasturized dairy products, but she does get some non-raw cheese just because raw cheese is so stinking expensive to have it be our only source (what the heck... doesn't pasturizing it take MORE effort... blah)
Old 08-05-2008, 02:16 AM

wow, I was just doing a bit more poking around (I can't get raw milk here) researching the milk I bought the other day for DS to try...I got him this organic, non-homogenized cream top whole milk from Trader Joe's...so I was reading up on it trying to see if it was ultra-pasteurized...and I found out it is this :

http://www.strausfamilycreamery.com/...eam-Top%20Milk

just repackaged so it says Trader Joe's not Straus. Sounds pretty good to me?

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 AM

Straus has a good rep. Sounds good! I'll have to look for this at TJ's in the future.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:15 PM

Strauss has WONDERFUL stuff! For special occasions, we'll get the cream for desserts or coffee. We love the ice creams and butter too! yum, yum, yum! (And, one of the farmers who runs our veggie CSA farm used to work there, so he says it's good.)
Unfortunately for us, no lactose free.

User Tag List