August thread for the August 05 mamas! How did our babies get to be 3 already?!?!?!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The title says it all. r

I couldn't move us to the Childhood forum with this thread, even though I think technically 3 is not a toddler year.

I am beginning to think this is all going way too fast. Anyone else?

Love you guys. And : to our babies!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 10:13 PM

E turned 3 on Saturday, ans I couldn't believe what a *kid* she was. The kids just ran around in a pack the whole time. Welcome to the independent years!
:::
Here are some recent photos:

MIL arrived last week and we are just biding our time waiting for the wee one to arrive any day now. Another August babe!

Happy birthdays to all the August lovelies!: 

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 08-04-2008, 11:16 PM

Thanks, Emily, for starting this thread. I kept meaning to, but I also couldn't bring myself to post it in any other forum. Yep, WAY too fast.

Great photos, Fridgeart! When did E get to be such a big girl? Love the cake, BTW! And keep us updated on the birth. So exciting!

We had a very low-keep family party for Henry on Saturday (though his birthday was actually Sunday). It was nice, because it wasn't too overwhelming for him and he didn't get too many gifts...just the right amount, I think.

Things are kind of weird in DH's family right now, so we decided not to invite his sisters and niece (and their families), just his dad and stepmother. I like his parents but have put up with the rest of his family for twelve long years, so this was actually really nice for me. I do feel bad for my FIL, though. It must be tough to see strife in your family when you're 75.

Henry never got the chicken pox when we exposed him earlier in the summer, so we re-exposed him two weeks ago this Thursday. I really hope he gets it! It would be nice not to have to worry about that.

Anyway, sleep still sucks and Henry can get kind of wild sometimes, which I do NOT like, but overall he's really charming and sweet and fun and entertaining. I just wish he'd be my baby for a little while longer.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 AM

We had A's party on Saturday and her bday is today! :

She had a blast - making her own cake, dressing up, having all my family here (plus some unexpected out of town guests since it was also my bro's 40th), and drinking OJ - a rare treat!

She got lovely presents and kept saying, "Is this for ME?" Just couldn't quite believe it was all about her. I can't wait to show you some of the pics.

Fridgeart - I love your pics and am so looking forward to hearing about your birth. I do admit to living a bit vicariously through you, since I would be due in about a month was it not for my m/c in February. I think the closer I get to my due date, the sadder I really get, but I see pg women EVERYWHERE and it makes me excited too!

On that note, since my m/c in April, my cycle has been super wonky and I'm having trouble getting pg again. My period is now four days "late", but my test today was negative. I've had one 39 day cycle and one 23 dayer, so I must be back to a long cycle. So strange for someone as regular as me.

I've gotten into a really good place with food, but still no weight loss. I've switched into eating TONS of protein, and I'm building plenty of muscle, but that scale just will not budge! ACK!

School begins for L next Friday (middle school, people!) and for A on the 25th. A few work things are opening up, but I'm beginning to feel tons of financial pressure that I've not had before due to the added bonus of paying A's tuition every month for the next three years!

Dh left of Switzerland yesterday (jealous) and I'm liking the space that this provides me. He has been really stressed lately and not too much fun to live with. I find that a healthy dose of his mom always makes him grateful for what he has here at home.

NM, Henry is a doll. I was thinking of you guys yesterday. :

Oh, here is a link to my sister's funny blog. She is rapping on AP this week. She is two years older than me and her kids are 23, 20, 17 and 14! I'm not too impressed with this line of sarcasm, and I think some of it makes me look bad (I'm 6 of 9), but some of her other stuff is pretty funny, in that sad David-Sedaris-kind-of-way.
http://lmadel.blogspot.com/

Happy birthdays to all the gor August 05 kiddos! As A would say, "not babies, girls and boys"!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 08-06-2008, 06:08 PM

Happy Birthday August 2005 babies!!!:::

Emmett turns 3 on the 22nd, so we have a couple of weeks yet.
My older DS turned 5 in July. They are both getting so much older and I am still contemplating a third baby!!

Life has been great this summer. We are taking lots of little trips around. We just got back from camping in North Conway, NH. It is beautiful there. We are off for Cape Cod this weekend for a whole week on the beach!

Emmett is fun now and smart and witty, but also getting pretty sassy. I am starting to see a lot of backtalk. I am pretty Ok with going with the flow of it- I know it is age appropriate, but still. 90% of the time he is cute and sweet and super affectionate. It is all good. I love all the sidea of my E.
I will put up some photos.

- Kerri
Old 08-07-2008, 01:50 AM

Hey all!

This thread is reminding me of when we all were waiting for our babies to arrive. Everyone else was pretty much ahead of me in line and now it's like that for the birthdays, too! Hee hee. Well, at least I get to poach some of your excellent party ideas.

Okay, guys, do you have advice on what to do about the insanely large guest list for O's bday? By the time I invite family and O's friends (esp those whose parties we've attended) the list is up to 58 people, which includes spouses.

And then O also got invitations from her friends at daycare (it's a small one but still) so I have to invite them and also her daycare provider, who is like a grandma to O.

This is silly. I envy my friends who had nice, small parties for their kids, and I feel like this one is going to be a fiasco.

I even thought about having two parties and dividing up the guest list. I could also do just family, but that would be waaay small, and I think O would like kids to be present.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:52 AM

New Mama -- How are you doing in the wake of your father's death? I am having a very, very hard time after my gma died. My body freaked out in a big rash, and I think that was part of my grieving.

Ktmama -- I look forward to photos of the party!

Have any of you been reading Chasmyn's blog? Very interesting raw food diet blog. Yum.

Oh, my CSA delivered patty pan squash. I had no idea what it was, but I figured it out on google and then found what sound like yummy recipes. I am a veggie nut this summer!

Love to all!
HH
Old 08-07-2008, 03:04 AM

Hi Mamma's, I look at my dd and think where did the time go?? What happened between when she turned 2 and now? I turned around one day and she was putting her shoes on by herself, which is great I admit but I was helping her do it I swear the day beforehand.

And what is with the attitude? My happy, smiling, easygoing: child is now making "mad" faces, doesn't want to give her Granny and Papa hugs when i ask her to she does it when she wants to though), and is almost unbearable at times. I am away with her and I know she is missing her dad, but this is really draining.

If the aliens would only bring back my happy and easygoing dd life would be totally wonderful, even if I did still miss dh it would be tollerable. I can't wait until she goes to preschool a few days a week and picks up on all the lovely things there. I will enjoy seeing her interact with the other children. I got to see a little of that during our church's Vacation Bible School. She was so compassionate to one of the other children who was not really feeling like she wanted to be there (a huge language barrier issue) that the child's mother thanked me for what she did. That made me feel so proud of her. She can truly be a wonderful human being.

Her bday is coming up and like a pp I too am wondering how to limit the list as I would like her to have a simple party at home. Even though I am not a budding Martha Stewart, I hope to be able to plan a nice party. Anyone have any sources they have used before and found good ideas?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhao View Post
Okay, guys, do you have advice on what to do about the insanely large guest list for O's bday? By the time I invite family and O's friends (esp those whose parties we've attended) the list is up to 58 people, which includes spouses.
JMHO -- that's insane! We had about 13 people (that's including me, DH and Henry) and it was really, really nice. The past two years we've invited friends with kids as well and this year I decided to keep it simple for two reasons: 1) Henry doesn't know the difference anyway! 2) I could not bear the thought of too many presents -- we don't need any more toys in this house! So my advice (and this may be not at all what you actually want) would be just to have family and tell people this is just what you do at your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhao View Post
New Mama -- How are you doing in the wake of your father's death? I am having a very, very hard time after my gma died. My body freaked out in a big rash, and I think that was part of my grieving.
Honestly? This is going to make me sound like a terrible, heartless human being...but I'm fine. I never actually cried or even got choked up. Isn't that horrible? Every once in a while I remember, like, "Oh, he won't be there for Christmas" or whatever. He was just so awful to me as a kid, he never took the time to know us or have us know him, and when I got to be an adult he was just sort of...there. Not really part of the conversation...just there.

I do keep waiting for something to hit me. I wonder if it will when my FIL passes away. My FIL is a lovely man and I'm sure the contrast will be evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red17 View Post
And what is with the attitude? My happy, smiling, easygoing: child is now making "mad" faces, doesn't want to give her Granny and Papa hugs when i ask her to she does it when she wants to though), and is almost unbearable at times. I am away with her and I know she is missing her dad, but this is really draining.
Yeah, Henry can be a pain too. His latest thing is hitting. Yesterday I opened up the front door and bent over to pick up the newspaper and he smacked me on the fanny! Out of nowhere and for reason. It was kind of funny, but it sort of hurt and of course I couldn't laugh and encourage him. A friend told me that there is a huge surge of testosterone around this age and I'm beginning to believe it.

So...I think Henry MAY have chicken pox. He has three spots under his diaper (above his genitals) that were just dots yesterday and are blistered today. But that's it...just in that area. I would have thought he'd have developed more spots overnight. Time will tell, I guess.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM

Oh, also -- I keep meaning to blog this, but my sister, who acted as a caregiver to my dad when he had dementia, told me that at the end my dad could not remember his mom's name, or even anything about her, but he DID remember that he didn't like her. (She was abusive and controlling...hmmm, just like my dad was to us.)

I found that interesting and really sad and profound. To not even know your own name or recognize your own children anymore -- but to remember that you didn't like your mother. Makes me try to be more patient with Henry, that's for sure.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 PM

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the August '05 mama club. We adopted our daughter at the end of March, so she'll have only been with us for 5 months on her birthday. We are so excited about her birthday this year as it's her first one with us!

p.s. Fridgeart, that cake was beautiful! It looks like things I've only seen on TV. You're little girl is adorable too, btw.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM

Deb, my advice about the party is to just keep it to family too. Saying, "that's how we do it at our house" will serve you a lot in the future. Take it from someone with an older kiddo too, birthday parties with friends can get really expensive and really big and it seems that you have to keep it up year after year after year.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 08-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Ditto the "keep it small/in the fam" parties. They can get soooo out of hand, and really, I don't think kids really care about their b-day parties til they're 6 or 7. We figure until she asks, we'll keep it limited to family and 2 very close sets of friends (who are like family). Once you start factoring in school friends, playgroup friends, friends who invited your kid to their party, it gets insane. Then there's the topping last year's party...ack. I was glad to have the 9 months pregnant excuse! The one thing we splurged on was the cake (I am not Martha Stewart). We hired the baker/artist that made our wedding cakes. They use local and organic ingredients, and the cakes taste as good as they look. Yum.
I'm finding 3ish to be an all over the place age. E is so independent and able, but then quickly reverts to wanting to be a baby (maybe this is specific to us, as we are talking about babies a lot lately?), testing us by doing things she knows are inapprops, then not pushing her boundaries at all, and listening really well... Very inconsistent! But I'm loving her descriptions and take on things. It's so hard sometimes not to break down laughing when she misinterprets/mishears something (they're so literal!) She's been doing swimming lessons every day for the last two weeks and it is so rad to see her confidence in the water. She's floating and moving around on her own, and putting her face in the water, etc. etc. It's so great to see!

ktmama-can't believe your eldest is starting middle school! I had a peek at your sister's blog and loved it-hilarious! We use the raised eyebrow too, and it works...

Hey-are your kids still napping? E's been napping 2+ hours lately, but it's hard to get her down. She sleeps about 9-10 hours at night. Those of you whose kids aren't napping, when do your kids get "ratty" (if they do!) and how long are they sleeping at night? Thanks!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeart View Post
Hey-are your kids still napping? E's been napping 2+ hours lately, but it's hard to get her down. She sleeps about 9-10 hours at night. Those of you whose kids aren't napping, when do your kids get "ratty" (if they do!) and how long are they sleeping at night? Thanks!
DD falls asleep sometime between 9:45 and midnight (fights it for as long as possible) and gets up a few times in the night, then by around 6:30 for the day. If she takes a nap at all, it's 30-45 minutes long. I'm not sure when she gets "ratty", maybe around 5pm, but not everyday.

Aside from the language (DD is still learning English), pretty much everything else you wrote about 3 being an "all over the place" age is similar to what we're experiencing.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeart View Post
Henry dropped his nap about a year ago! He will sometimes fall asleep in the car if we're driving for more than 20 minutes, but that is not desirable as he often has a rough wake-up and then stays up much later than usual at night. Bedtime is generally about 7pm, so that's pretty nice. He doesn't really get crabby at all, usually, though if he does it's right around 6pm or so.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:08 PM

We've been in a nice sleep pattern this summer with A sleeping from 8:30 - 8:00. She stopped napping in January (so at about 2.5). She used to struggle with staying awake in the late afternoon, but now can sail right through the day pretty even tempered. So, the adjustment to no napping took about five months or so.

Now, I have to6 go an screw up her schedule because school for her starts at 8:00 am every day. I started this week waking her up 15 minutes earlier every other day and putting her to bed 15 minutes earlier every other night. In theory only since our week has been pretty wonky with morning appts. Tonight she fell asleep at 6:00.

Oh, did I mention at any time that she starting SCHOOL in 19 days? :

Old 08-08-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

I love everyone's good news, happy birthdays, and nice sleep tales.

Kate, your sister's blog is too funny. Rapping on the AP, yes, but I immediately thought of David Sedaris. I'm amused that she actually calls you Six of Nine, but I had to smile when I read about the eyebrow lift. I do a lot of that. Hope G's trip to Switzerland is good. I find that when my dh is gone for a little while, we are both a little refreshed when he comes home. I, too, like the space. My dh has been in Albuquerque, NM all week and I have to say I don't mind. I'll be happy to see him on Saturday, but I do like being apart once in awhile. I am amazed that both of your kids are going to be in school. Let the bon-bon eating commence! Kidding. But that is pretty cool - I am sure that A is going to continue to blossom in Montessori, and I hope middle school is good to L.

Fridgeart, thinking of you and sending lots of good August baby vibes! I hope you have a terrific labor and birth and I can't wait to hear all about it!!! :

NM, crossing my fingers for the pox for you. Much easier to deal with when they're young, and especially when they get it in the summer - they can run around nakey covered in calamine lotion!

And welcome, spectrum42! It's always good to have more Aug05 mamas here.

On our front...

Sleeping is sooo much better at our house this week! I think we're on an upward trend - seriously. I'm at 1-2 nightwakings for Sarah and 0-1 for Adam. He is actually STTN most nights! He dropped naps for good about the time we moved here, and it is great. He is very cooperative about a Quiet Time on his bed - trucks and books and I'll see you in thirty minutes, my dear friend. Sarah, OTOH, quite often needs a nap - she naps about 2-3 times a week and sleeps longer on the other days. I have to admit that I give her naps when she absolutely needs them but since she goes down easier and sleeps better at night when she doesn't have them, I don't promote them a great deal.

I am playing them out during the day...so much so that I am managing to keep the house clean, etc., but I have 7 loads of laundry waiting to be folded upstairs right now. I'm typically a wash/fold/put away one load per day, so this is kind of funny -- but we have had a blast. Most days we are outside 4-6 hours a day. Partly because it is so much fun and partly because everyone sleeps soooo well when we have lots of outside time. My mom/stepdad gave us an amazing playset a few weeks ago -- 2 slides/3 swings/sandbox/bridge between two upper platforms/tire swing/steering wheel & telescope up top, etc. - it's amazing - playground quality -- they wanted to do something for our family that they knew we couldn't do right now, and this is what they picked. It's awesome, and the kids are having so much fun. Next to the playset, behind our garage, is a big pile of dirt and sand eroding from the bank that separates our property from the neighbors'. We have, at any given time, at least 3 tractors, a front end loader, and a dump truck .... all "building roads". Digging is such a big part of life right now as Adam is construction truck-obsessed at the moment.

So, at any rate, the kids are sleeping so much better lately. I couldn't be happier. I am glad...because I am going back to work! I applied last week at the local hospital - it's teeny and rural - 6 inpatient rooms and 5 ED beds. Just fine for now, since they only needed an "occasional" RN - I pick up shifts when I want, they call me if they need me ... but no mandatory hours/numbers/shifts. I am excited about that part. My goal is 1-2 shifts a week - we're feeling the grocery/gas pinch a little more since buying the house in May, and the extra little bit will help. The kids are easing into me being gone for small periods of time - I was up at the hospital for 3 hours the other day, and they begged to have the babysitter stay the rest of the day. My first shift is next Thursday, so we'll see how it goes! I am a little nervous - I've done some teaching over the last 3 years but haven't practiced, so that will be a little nerve-wracking for a little while, but on the other hand, I'm kind of excited - walking through the ER, I forgot how much I missed it... I hope it will go well.

Adam's birthday was yesterday, but we celebrated Saturday - just us and my mom/stepdad and a family friend. 7 total. I asked Adam if he would like a party (we've been to two this year) and he said yes, and I asked whom he would like to come to his party and he replied "Cody and Grandma." That's all? "Yep. That's all." Okay. So I called Cody's mom - they were going camping last weekend, but stopped by to give Adam a gift - and Grandma traveled up here ... so everyone was happy. I think I am going to wait until the kids actually know what the birthday deal is before I start planning big parties. Right now, it was all about The Truck Cake ... and when I had asked Adam what he thought a good birthday gift was, he smiled sort of dream-like and answered "A really big truck." And so I did. I made a chocolate cake and drew a road on it with icing - I put three little die-cast trucks on it, driving on the road. He was thrilled beyond words. We gave him a big front end loader as a gift, and he couldn't have been happier. Throw in the "spinny toothbrush" our friend gave him, and I think he considered it the best day of his life.

Oh! Oh! Oh! I forgot the best news of all. The other day - Adam woke up and asked me - wait for it! - "Mom, can I wear underwear today?"
: : : : : :
Why, yes, son, you may.
We've had some undie changes over the last two days, but he only had ONE accident today. I put PL'ing on the back burner for now and haven't made any attempts at all to use the potty out of the ordinary, so when he said that, I tried to be all nonchalant about it...but inside I was mentally doing cartwheels.

I am so happy about the thought of not washing diapers for two kids that I think I might cry just sitting here.

Anyway...this is probably long enough.
Love to all!

Old 08-09-2008, 03:46 AM

Hi all. Pllease bear w/me as I don't seem to be able to get the multi quote to work.

New Mama:
You said "Things are kind of weird in DH's family right now, ..."

Boy do I hear you! Sounds like you've dealt with "weird" for quite a while though. I hope that you little one's bd gave your fil something to be happy about. I know that my dad is saddened about the situation with my brother who we have not heard from in about a year. Any astrangement or tension in a family is hard on the parents. I'm sure you brought some happiness to him with your ds's birthday celebration.

ktmama - You wrote:
"On that note, since my m/c in April, my cycle has been super wonky and I'm having trouble getting pg again. My period is now four days "late", but my test today was negative. I've had one 39 day cycle and one 23 dayer, so I must be back to a long cycle. So strange for someone as regular as me.

I've gotten into a really good place with food, but still no weight loss. I've switched into eating TONS of protein, and I'm building plenty of muscle, but that scale just will not budge! ACK!"

For 7 years before I had my dd I complained about long period cycles (when for all of my life before this you could set your clock to my cycle), feeling tired after EVERY meal no matter what I ate, and not being able to lose wt no matter what diet I tried, WW included! So I really hear what your saying and my heart goes out to you . When I went to a Fert. Specialist and told her this, she said it was a classic sign of "Insulin Resistence". She gave me Metformin for 2 months and she put me on Clomid for a month and voila I got pregnant AND lost 17 lbs in the first month -- and I was not ever nauseous so if I had been I think I would have lost even more wt.

I hope your situation is not as complicated as mine, but I mention it as you say your not losing and your doing the protein diet which I too did for over a year w/o a lot of success.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:02 PM

Just a quick post to say that Henry definitely has the chickenpox! I will try to post photos on my blog soon. So far he seems in good spirits with no itching, though nights are a bit more restless than normal. I've been spiking his water with vitamins A and C (and his usual probiotics and TraceMinerals). Here's hoping he gets through this with no trouble.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:02 PM

BTW -- welcome to the newcomers to our group! :

Old 08-10-2008, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hoping all goes well with the pox!

I had to pop in ... Adam was dry all day in underwear. Rejoice with me. :

Old 08-10-2008, 12:56 AM

Emily - Yeah for Adam! I was thinking the other day that it would be funny if Sarah got pl'd before Adam. OK, not funny, but you know - CRAZY!

Oh, welcome to the new mamas and thanks so much for the info re: weight and cycles. I'm going to see my dr. next month if I'm not pg. She's very holistic and shares an office with a nutritionist, a massage therapist and a chiro, so I hope she has some good insights.

Here's some new pics of the girls this summer. No birthday pics yet, but I hope to have some soon!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ktmama/

Old 08-10-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
Hoping all goes well with the pox!

I had to pop in ... Adam was dry all day in underwear. Rejoice with me. :
WOO HOO! Way to go Adam! Ahh...soon you might be diaper free at your house-yippee!!

Old 08-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Kate-your girls are so pretty. Great photos
Hope your doctor can shed some light on your sitch!
Did you make the cloth box/balls? Super cool...one thing I want to accomplish this year is to learn how to sew with a machine. Beautiful!

Old 08-10-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanks so much! I *did* sew that stuff! I got a machine two years ago for my birthday and I love it! The cube is tres difficult, but always a big hit with the kids (and the parents).

I just started making tabby loveys too out of ribbon and chenille. So cute!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Kate - beautiful!! I love the pic of the girls with their hair wrapped up. And your cube/balls are amazing - you only learned to sew two years ago? Wow!!

And I honestly believed that Sarah would PL before Adam. When we moved here, Adam pretty much stopped using the potty - he was fully diapered 24/7 and Sarah was the one who would ask to go. Sarah still asks to go and is down to using maybe a half dozen dipes a day but when she asked for underwear a few days ago (after seeing Adam in it!), it was pretty clear that she isn't quite ready yet. I figure we'll try it again soon, but right now I am really trying to concentrate on helping Adam be successful since he had the desire and is showing the ability ... so we'll see!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:54 PM

Hey, Emily, I read your longer post but was unable to respond until now. PLEASE do not apologize for writing all that out! As a mom whose three-year old is absolutely not interested in potty training, I was really keen on hearing what you had to say.

As you may know I'm a big Alfie Kohn fan, but that's not to say I haven't thought about bribing Henry when it comes to potty training. I'm just not sure how this will go down, or if I should be pushing him a bit.

A while ago -- maybe last fall? -- he was willing to sit on the potty seat and even peed in it a few times. But I didn't push because it was getting to be winter and honestly, it just seemed easier to keep him in diapers.

But now...he's 38 pounds, who knows how tall (very, though!), three years old, and when I suggest he sit on the toilet in the morning instead of peeing through his diaper, I get an emphatic NO! Sigh. And it's not because I'm pushing him -- I only mention the toilet occasionally, and then very casually ("You know, if you ever want to sit on the potty in the morning you could...").

Maybe Alfie Kohn will come over and potty train my kid.

Kate, your girls are gor, as always. I can't believe what a big KID A. looks like. Where did our little babies go? Also, you'll have to let us know how your doctor's visit goes. I've been thinking my issues might be helped by hormone therapy. I actually have the name of someone my acupuncturist recommended but have been dragging my feet for some reason.

Henry looks awful but so far the chicken pox doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. No itching, no fever, no crankiness. Just a little more restlessness at night than usual. Does anyone know if the itching "kicks in" later on? I did cut his nails again today just in case.

I had kind of a sad incident today with our neighbors. We love them -- very liberal couple next door (both attorneys, she's a public defender and he used to be one) with two kids, 8 and 6, who adore Henry and are all-around great kids. We've gotten to be good friends with all of them.

Anyway, when Henry got the pox we made sure to talk to the mom before letting the kids be close to Henry. She said they'd been vaccinated, but the kids sort of made themselves scarce anyway -- I think because they'd only ever heard about CP and were a little freaked out by it.

I'd noticed that all weekend whenever we came outside the kids would go in -- very unusual. And then today the dad told my DH when he came outside with Henry that even though their kids are vaxxed, they're not sure how that works, if the vaccines are 100%, and they can't really afford for their kids to get sick now with his parents coming into town and school starting in three weeks.

So my DH took Henry back inside, and two minutes later the neighbor kids were out again, and the parents were out, and the people across the street were over. And I just felt like we were the outcasts. It just felt wrong and made me sort of sad. I hadn't told any of our neighbors that we don't vaccinate because I've learned to keep my big mouth shut, but we really couldn't keep Henry's CP quiet.

I went out to make a frozen custard run and saw the parents and they were friendly and normal to me, but it still felt kind of icky.

I'm sure it's nothing and they're not thinking anything bad about us, but I'm a bit sad about it.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:06 AM

NM, if this makes you feel any better, your neighbors should be concerned. Lily got pox when she was eight (I discovered them at her birthday party) and of the six kids at the party, all got at least a mild form of pox and one took them home to her brother. Annabelle was the only kid at the party (she was five weeks old at the time) who didn't get them. Based on this, I don't think that vax is super-effective.

Speaking of pox, I think A has them too. Power of suggestion, NM? She had a horribly upset stomach Thursday night and I noticed some marks on her back and tummy yesterday, but thought they might be bites. Then more tonight. Ack. Dh is out of town and not due back until Wed. night. Stuck at home alone with two kids for three days! Anyway, she was itchy this morning, but some Non-Itchy Stuff (as we call it here) seems to have helped. I'm not sure if I want her to have pox or not. Not that it really matters....

Emily, I love your story about pling and Adam. Your solution is so creative! I think in the end it may be what pushes him over the edge. And then you will be so happy that you thought of it!

NM, your off-hand frozen custard remark made me giggle. One of the highlights of my two years working in Milwaukee!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama View Post
NM, if this makes you feel any better, your neighbors should be concerned. Lily got pox when she was eight (I discovered them at her birthday party) and of the six kids at the party, all got at least a mild form of pox and one took them home to her brother. Annabelle was the only kid at the party (she was five weeks old at the time) who didn't get them. Based on this, I don't think that vax is super-effective.

Speaking of pox, I think A has them too. Power of suggestion, NM? She had a horribly upset stomach Thursday night and I noticed some marks on her back and tummy yesterday, but thought they might be bites. Then more tonight. Ack. Dh is out of town and not due back until Wed. night. Stuck at home alone with two kids for three days! Anyway, she was itchy this morning, but some Non-Itchy Stuff (as we call it here) seems to have helped. I'm not sure if I want her to have pox or not. Not that it really matters....

Emily, I love your story about pling and Adam. Your solution is so creative! I think in the end it may be what pushes him over the edge. And then you will be so happy that you thought of it!

NM, your off-hand frozen custard remark made me giggle. One of the highlights of my two years working in Milwaukee!
Hey Kate, are you saying that those kids at the party who got the pox from L. had been vaccinated? If so, it might be too late for the neighbor kids. I can't remember, but I think Henry may have been around them a day or so before he broke out.

I hope A. feels better soon, whatever it is. It would be weird if she had CP when Henry has them!

Also...yep. Kopp's. Just a few miles from my house.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:16 AM

Yep, they were all vaccinated!

BTW, the closest thing we have to real custard here is Good Times

User Tag List