ERgo'ing to sleep for naps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find that the only way I can reliably get DS 13mo to sleep for naps is by putting him the ergo and nursing him while walking the neighborhood. I dont mind the occasional boob in the wind for all to see, thats life and I am a proud nursing mama but the problem is that it takes him soooooooo long to go to sleep. And my back starts to hurt and I am tired and sometimes he doesnt even go to sleep. I try to watch him for signs of tiredness and usually he naps 2.5-3 hrs after his first wake in the morning. It takes about 40min+ to get him to fall asleep, after that he transfers easily into bed and takes a great nap. Am I teaching him to need a big walk in order to fall asleep? Sometimes he will nap if I nurse him in the bed, but usually he just crawls off the bed and plays around the room. He takes awhile to fall asleep at night too, but I just lay in there and keep redirecting him to nurse and ni-night. This is hard work and I am getting a little worried about having to ergo him to sleep when he is older, or he might drop napping early if I dont come up with a different way to get him to sleep. Am I the only one walking around the neighborhood with my boob haniging out? I know I am the only one on my block.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 03:35 AM

Maybe he's starting to transition his nap time. I know sometime around 14 months my ds started sleeping later on certain days and now he's back to doing it a bit earlier but he will go back and forth.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! My DS had to be Ergo'd to sleep when he was 6 months to 10 months old and then we switched to having to be driven to sleep. He always needed to be distracted or moving to fall asleep for naps. Night time has always been pretty fine.

When DS was around 13-months-old, I had the idea to try to nurse him in my glider - that's motion, right?! I totally didn't think it would work because I'd tried everything and he would always just try to get off and not relax, but it actually did work this time and he's been napping that way ever since which has been AWESOME! And it's a neat little routine that we've started and I can tell now that he actually likes it and longs for it. We used to try to nurse laying down in bed, but I think it wasn't distracting enough for my DS. What I do now is nurse him in the glider (somedays he falls asleep in 10 minutes, other days, it's 30 minutes) and then when his eyes shut, I transfer him to the bed and lay down with him while he finishes nursing (another 2-5 minutes) and then I pop my nipple out when he's crashed. If I transfer to the bed BEFORE he's fallen asleep, he will always roll over, pop up and want to get off the bed and play. So that is key for us - him being asleep before we nurse in bed. I also sing to him when we're on the glider.

Being able to nap like this has made life so much easier. I actually get a break during the day (outside of my car) and when we go out of town, I don't have to borrow a car or walk around in an unfamiliar neighborhood! To me, it seems like the key was that he was looking for something more routine and not in the car and I was good at finding something that distracted him enough.

Who knows if something like this could work for you, but it just might!

Good luck!

Oh, one more thing... in the beginning, my DS would sometimes try to get out of the glider, but I was very firm about telling him, "Sorry sweetie, we can't get down, it's time for night-night." I didn't budge on that ever. Of course, he would flop himself around sometimes and get upset for like 2 seconds, but I'd just offer him the boob again and he'd fall right asleep.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 AM

Well I spent many a day walking around our mall (it was winter) with DS in the ergo asleep. Because that's how he wanted to nap and if I sat down or stopped moving he'd wake up. He grew out of it.

Another thought is that you want him to nap when maybe he isn't ready? If DS starts playing we're done. We get up, preferably get out of the house, and try again in an hour or two. You can't make a kid nap.

Also do you guys have a nap routine? Much like the previous poster we use our glider then transfer to bed. Always after an outing and lunch. Outing, lunch, sleepy clothes, rock/listen to music, nap. He knows the routine. But again, if it ain't working, we abandon and try something else. Sometimes they just need to get some additional energy out - even if they appear exhausted.

HTH!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:01 PM

I spent most of last summer (ds was 9-12 months) wandering up and down my hallway with ds in the Ergo to get him to nap. For him it was just a phase, after a few months, he didn't want to be walked in the Ergo anymore. (Actually he won't get into any carriers, ever, these days! I almost miss the endless Ergo walks. Almost.) As for how long it's taking him to fall asleep, it sounds like he's transitioning his naptime. When ds was changing his nap schedule, he would act tired at his usual time, but he wouldn't sleep for 45-60 minutes! When I started waiting to put him down, he got really cranky for just a few days, and then he got into the new routine, and then it would only take 10 minutes to fall asleep.

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
Old 08-06-2008, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou so much for your replies. It is very heartening. When I google toddler naps I read the worst advice! This is helpful. I think I need to get a glider. I have a really $$ rocking chair that I made dh buy me while I was pregnant, and unfortunately it is horrrible to rock in, takes a lot of work to make it rock and its very loud. Maybe I will try freecycle, I feel really guilty getting a new rocker. But if it helps baby sleep, I think it will be worth it.

I do think he is transitioning to one nap, its very hard for me to read his tired signs, he just doesnt look or act tired a lot of the time. Thanks for the ear gals!

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August

User Tag List