3 year old still in crib - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-07-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just checking in to see if it's ok that DD who just turned 3 is still in her crib. I consider myself lucky that she NEVER has once tried to get out. We have a 10 month old in the house who sleeps with me right now (that's another story!) and I'm not in any mood to transition her to a "big girl bed". Anyone else have an older child in the crib? She "fits" just fine BTW...sleeps curled up. DH is pushing the bed....
#2 of 11 Old 08-07-2008, 04:22 PM

I think it's fine, if she's happy and comfortable in there. My mom says I slept in a crib until 3 1/2. My only concern would be potty training-- if she's ready to be dry at night, and needs to get up to go to the bathroom. With my DD, if she calls for me and waits for me to come to help her go, by then it's too late and she's wet.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 11 Old 08-07-2008, 04:26 PM

My ds turns 3 on Dec 6. He is still in the crib and we are not planning on moving him anytime soon. He does not try to get out and is not even interested in having a "big boy bed". I was told by many other people to keep him in the crib until HE ASKS for a big boy bed. The only other consideration to have is going to the bathroon in the middle of the night - how does that work for you? If it is working well, I would not bother moving out of the crib.

Happy Wife & Mama to 1 boy 12/6/05
#4 of 11 Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 PM

I LOVED my crib and since I was small I fit just fine too! I didn't move to a "big bed" until 4. I don't remember getting up in the night to go to the bathroom as a child.
#5 of 11 Old 08-07-2008, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

honestly, she usually sleeps the night. Yeah! At least one of my kids sleeps!

She sometimes dry upon wakening, sometimes not. We always wear pull ups to be (and most of the time for her 1 nap a day)....

She hasn't asked for a big girl bed! I'm in no rush!
#6 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 07:27 AM

My 3rd child was in the crib until he was 3 1/2 and my 4th was 3 and 2 mos.

This is how you will know when your child is too big for the crib.

When your 3 1/2 yr. old and his 2 1/2 yr old brother tip the crib upside down and use it for a cage. my 3 1/2 yr old pretended he was a lion at the zoo.
#7 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 09:23 AM

I think it is just fine. My twins are 29 months old and still in a crib. Never once have they tried to get out.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#8 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 09:31 AM

My son will be 4 in four months. He has two beds in his room: a crib and a twin size bed. Most night he sleeps in the twin bed, but some nights, like last night, he slept in the crib, which he will not let us remove from his room. He can climb in and out of the crib on his own. We're leaving it up for a while longer. I want to get rid of it because it would open up a lot of space for him to play, but he insists on having it around a bit longer.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#9 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 04:59 PM

I definitely think it's okay. DS slept in his crib til he was 3 and a month or so... he was comfy, he liked it, and he never tried to climb out, so I knew he was safe at night. The only reason I pressed to move him out was because I was pregnant with DD!!

Whatever works for you is the right thing!

mom to G 6/19/03 and M 9/9/06
#10 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 05:26 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it. That said, is there a possibility that you can take the side off? Thus turning it into a toddler bed but not really changing anything else? Some cribs you can do this with, some you can't. That's what we did. Your DD might accept the transition better, you won't have to buy anything new and your DH feels like you did things his way. Win win win I think, might be worth looking into.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#11 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 09:01 PM

DD1 just turned 3 and is still sleeping in her crib. She can climb in and out, but stays put when I tell her to, which is a good thing. She still mightily resists going to bed, so I'm frankly terrified of moving her to a regular bed, as I'm not sure she'll stay put in that. We've also had a lot of changes lately, with dd2 being born, and we are potty training right now. So I don't want to change too many things at once.

As for going to the bathroom, I still put her in dipes for nap (when that happens ) and night. If it gets to the point where she needs to get up during the night to pee, she can get in and out of the crib on her own, so that shouldn't be a problem. I imagine that will be the point when we might try to switch to a bed.

When we're ready to make that change, I might start by lowering (not removing) the side of the crib, which will make it seem a bit different. We already have a toddler bed from Ikea, and we bought a little tent thing that goes over it to give it a more enclosed feeling, in the hope that she will feel snug and secure. But at the moment, she doesn't know that bed exists .

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page