Persistent cough HELP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
I am feeling so helpless and hope to get some advice. My two year old started having a cough, cold, ear infection... that was about 6 weeks ago. I tried to stay off antibiotics but after 8 days of fever, I gave him amoxicillin. Everything else "seems" to go away except for the cough. It goes from productive to dry cough. He use to wake up coughing at night but now more or less sleep through the night. In general it feels like it is slowly improving but sometimes will go right back to the symptoms he had before like cough waking him up from his nap and sleep. I am so worried... MD wants to give him albuterol and steroids to try. If he responds then he has asthma. I feel uncomfortable giving him that when there is no strong diagnosis of asthma. I am going to a oriental medicine doctor and like I said, i saw improvements but very slow. The MD also wants to give him a PPD test to rule out TB but I have heard about the side effects of PPD test too even though its not a vacine. He is too young to do the quantiferon blood test for TB. I feel very depress that I don't know what is wrong. Other than the cough, there is no other symptoms. He is active, happy, eats well. I did notice after he cries alot, the cough acts up. No cough or shortness of breath after he runs around ( he loves to run). Someone please help me. This is the only place I dare to post as anywhere else, I will be judged by my "stupidity" for not giving him asthma meds to try and the PPD test. Thank you all for listening.

Very worried mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 AM

I have been right where you are, and it sucks!!!

After 3 months of persistant coughing, I finally got a new dr for my little one. We started albuterol and pulmicort at 10 mo. and poor maddie finally stopped coughing all. the. time.

I would urge you to try the albuterol. really. I know we are all crunchy, med free, homeopathic remedy here; but there is a place for albuterol. really.

Have you ever had bronchitis? You know how hard it is to feel like you are getting enough oxygen when you cant take a deep breath for coughing?

And there is ABSOLUTELY no reason that your baby will HAVE to have albuterol on a long term basis. It might just be for a few weeks to clear out the bronchial passages. Or it could be for a few months.

We used albuterol with maddie for almost a year before she stopped needing it. Now we only have to give it when she cant catch her breath for coughing.

And if you DO decide to go the nebulizer route, buy one from amazon.com instead of getting it from the doctors medical supplier Our doc's supplier charged us $250 for this

http://www.medexsupply.com/products/...ressorNebu.htm

Hope your little one feels better soon!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:41 AM

Both my kids have a wicked chest cold right now and have had a persistent wheezing cough for over a week. We've used oral Albuteral in the past and all it did was hype my son up. So today, we got the Albuteral nebulizer for both kids -- not for an asthma indication, but for the wheezing cough specificially.

Coughing in our house is no-joke. The last time I tried to wait it out, my son ended up with walking pneumonia.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:41 AM

Diet?

I don't know how old your lo is, or what his diet is like, but the first thing that came to mind reading your post is a friend of mine whose dd starts to cough whenever she eats sugar. If her mama keeps her off the sugar, she doesn't have a problem with the cough...except for the occasional cold.

That said, my nephew has struggled with asthma since he was pretty little. He has used the drugs off and on. I'm not into them in general, but then again, it is such a miracle to be able to breathe!

Best of luck.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies!! The thing is he does not have any wheezing (I know you dont' need that for asthma diagnosis) and lungs sound very clear (according to 3 doctors). Diet wise, I am very conscious as I am a dietitian. His cough is not constant but sporadic. He doesn't seem out of breath. Is that how asthma cough is? Meredith Mommy, how long does it take to stop her cough after albutrol??
Thanks again!!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 PM

DS has a persistent cough that comes and goes. He'll have it for a couple weeks, it keeps him (and us) up at night, then it might go away for a bit, then start up again. Like you, I was worried about pertussis and anything else that might cause it. I believe it to be cough-variant asthma, which in his case is triggered by allergies to things like dust and mold. Google the term adn see if it sounds like it might be accurate. You can always explore it as a possibility. DS went on nebulizer treatments for a couple weeks and it cleared up.

Oh I think the key thing of the asthma cough is a wheeze, but much like how whooping cough doesn't always whoop it might still be applicable. GL. Hope your LO stops coughing!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 08-13-2008, 12:07 AM

Our DD gets a cough every time she gets a cold. The best advice that our pediatrician ever gave us was to invest in a nebulizer, even though DD doesn't have asthma. It was about $100 at our local pharmacy (our insurance covered it) and every time DD gets a cold/cough we get it out and "nebulizer" her.

Here's link to some types of nebulizers, which are machines which dispense medicine or even saline in a vapor form:

http://www.nextag.com/child-nebulizer/search-html

We only use the prescription medicine for the machine if her cough is really bad. If she has a dry cough - we simply use saline and it loosens up her chest. Keeping the cough loose and productive is the goal and the nebulizer has been great for that.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,
I am abit green on the nebulizer. I know it is a machine that sprays. So can I just use saline without meds? Thanks.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Hi,
I am abit green on the nebulizer. I know it is a machine that sprays. So can I just use saline without meds? Thanks.
After I logged off last night, I realized that I should have suggested that you talk to your pediatrician first regarding the nebulizer. I'm not a doctor and can only say what has worked for us. He suggested the saline because he doesn't believe in heavy dosing of medicine. I just buy the regular saline nose drops (for infants and toddlers) and use it in the machine. We only use the medicine if DD has a sever chest or sinus infection. But talk to your doctor first.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.

User Tag List