Which potty do you suggest? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're just getting started with potty learning, b/c 22 mo ds is showing all of the signs that he wants to learn. Which potty seat do you recommend. I was thinking about getting both the kind of seat that fits on top of our toilet seat and then a full portable toddler potty. Tell me which ones you recommend and any other tips please.

Thanks!
#2 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 12:02 PM

The small child potty helped in the first couple weeks of PLing. I saw one today that is real cute, http://www.pottypatty.com/Patty-Potty-Chair-2.html but that isn't the one we had for DD (it comes in a boy's version). She used a really old Graco model that I picked up at a garage sale. I loved it basically because it didn't have any characters and was easy to use.

We also had this one, http://www.target.com/Safety-1st-Pot...ank&rh=&page=4 , and it was a pain to dump it out.

Once DD was successful at getting to the potty we began using the potty seat on the toilet. I hated having to dump and clean the child potty! We've had great success with that. I think the toughest part of finding a potty and potty seat right now are that they all have characters and music!

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
#3 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 12:05 PM

we have and like the baby bjorn both sizes.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#4 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 12:15 PM

We did the ring that fits over the regular toilet. DS picked one that has Dora all over it, but I don't care, really. I just wanted him to pick something that had some meaning to him. I noticed at Target that they have some that look like soccer balls and basketballs.

FWIW, DS only used the ring thing for about 2 weeks- then he discovered the joy of standing up and aiming! We only use it for pooping now.

Good luck!

Jenny Eric and The Boy (05.04.05)
#5 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 02:05 PM

I have been quite happy with our seat that just fits onto the toilet and a stepstool. The seat has a handle on each side which my dd uses to keep her balance. I think it just makes more sense to go directly into the toilet. And now that my dd is going into the bathroom without telling us first, I am very glad because I know she would be trying to empty the potty into the toilet by herself and probably making a big mess.

http://www.target.com/Munchkin-Potty...ank&rh=&page=3

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#6 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 02:11 PM

We now have what, maybe four or five or more different potty seats at our house?!

We have two that fit over the toilet. One is fastened on, the flip lid kind (from One Step Ahead), the other is one that fits over the toilet seat each time you need it and is all cushiony (you can buy that at a lot of retail stores).

Then we have at least two types of potty chairs, if not three. Differences include handles vs. none, size of splash guard, removability of splash guard, size and shape of actual seat. We do not have the kind with sounds or flushing. We do not have the stand up urinal for boys.

Ah, so many choices.

What does it boil down to?

My kids.

Both have different preferences, and those preferences have changed over time. In the begining, I was 100% committed to no potty chairs, just the toilet adapter kind. I did not want to have to transition my kids not just from diapers, but later from potty seat to toilet. That worked for a short while, but then ds started refusing to sit on the toilet because he said it was uncomfortable. We tried the cushy kind. It did not entice him.

By that time we wondered if he was ready to take a break from potty learning, but just to be sure, we got our first potty chair and asked him whether he wanted to give it another shot.

We all like it. It works well. The base that catches the pee and poop is a little small but it fits the job, you just have to carry it carefully.

ds would spend hours on the thing if we could keep him busy enough with constantly changing table-based activities at his little table, or if we were willing to show him a video. Never pee or poop (well, he peed once and really "got" the idea of trying to go, so we were all hopeful, but then nothing again for months...just like in the Once Upon a Potty story), but he was trying.

Anyway, then one day, ds decided to use the toilet again. And that was the day he actually started going pee and poop in something other than his diaper. He pees standing up and usually uses nothing when he sits on the toilet (he prefers just to keep himself up with the strength of his arms pushing on the adult seat), but occassionally he'll use either of the toilet adapter options. Out of those two, he prefers the one attached to the toilet. That is, the one he at one point said was uncomfortable. The other one slides around too much.

Now there is dfd. The big advantage for the potty chair for her is that it is fully portable. For a while, she wanted to go sit on the toilet every five minutes. ALL. DAY. LONG. And it wasn't just sit. She would sit for 15 seconds, get up, want to wash her hands, want to play with the water in the sink, want to sit back on the toilet, etc. Rinse, repeat. She'd stay in the bathroom goofing off even when it was time to come out. Maybe we could somehow manage this if we just had one, but with two, there is no way to keep this up all day. And not once did she go pee or poop.

So we've been using the potty chair with her because she *can* sit on it every five minutes if she wants. She can sit for fifteen seconds, and then get back up (though often this leaves her diaperless at the key moment...she'll stand up, walk away, and pee three minutes later before we've had a chance to put a diaper back on her...for this reason we've been setting a one minute timer that she LOVES and holds while on the potty). It is just sanity saving for the rest of the family.

However, the potty chair we all love turns out to be a bit of a hassle because sometimes the pee and poop basin part gets stuck in the seat if a kid messes with it before they go. Often the potty seats get messed with in the mix of things, so then we have a big messy splash fest trying to get the basin out after a kid (100% of the time so far ds, when he has been too lazy or too involved in what he is doing at the moment to go run to the bathroom and decides to use the potty chair instead) goes pee. Yuck.

So a friend passed along a potty seat her kid no longer uses. The basin doesn't get stuck, which is good, and it has handles, which the kids like. But the seat isn't that comfortable for them, and the splash guard is a hassle and has to be removed if dfd is going to be able to manage. So we have one other one, I believe, that dw just got for dfd to try. We'll see.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#7 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 02:17 PM

P.S. I am looking at some of the links others put up. The Potty Patty Chair looks nice but a little hard to empty without spills. Anyone using it, and if so, is it easier than it appears?

This one looks most similar to the one we have that has the problem of the basin that gets jammed if the kids take it out and put it back in: http://www.target.com/Safety-1st-Pot...ank&rh=&page=4

I just realized we have two of the cushy ones that go on the seat. This is the one we have at home: http://www.target.com/Munchkin-Potty...ank&rh=&page=3. At my MIL's house, she has a character one for the kids, and that one slips around more than the one we have at the house.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#8 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 02:25 PM

We have this one from Graco and like it. (The pee shield thing is removable, and we don't use that.)

My dd still prefers it to a child seat on the toilet, but I am planning to get the Baby Bjorn potty seat, because it's the only one I've seen that really adjusts and sits firmly on the seat.
#9 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldumm View Post
we have and like the baby bjorn both sizes.
These, especially the full-size, we have one at home and both GPs houses. Really easy to clean. We keep it near where he plays in the living room, in a 'private' spot behind a love seat.

The little BB we keep in the car, DS is kinda almost too big for it but it works in emergencies. I try to use a plastic grocery bag as a liner for poo, if it is just pee I will put a little TP in the potty first. But since it is one smooth piece of plastic, it is real easy to clean.

Plus we have the squishy tushie rings that sit on the adult seat. We use a wooden two-step step stool with it. I would suggest getting your child used to using a lighter-weight, plastic step that they can carry, because DS needs help to get the heavy step-stool in place when he wants to use the big potty.

He uses the BB about half the time, the squishy ring on the toilet about half the time.

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#10 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
I have been quite happy with our seat that just fits onto the toilet and a stepstool. The seat has a handle on each side which my dd uses to keep her balance. I think it just makes more sense to go directly into the toilet. And now that my dd is going into the bathroom without telling us first, I am very glad because I know she would be trying to empty the potty into the toilet by herself and probably making a big mess.

http://www.target.com/Munchkin-Potty...ank&rh=&page=3
We like this one, too.
#11 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 11:19 PM

Oh, this is just the thread I needed!

Here's one to avoid: the 3-in-1 from The First Years.

We just introduced DS to the potty today, and he was really into it. Sat down many times, and twice indicated he needed to poop, then sat on the potty and pooped in his diaper. I am so proud! Then, the 3rd time he indicated he wanted to poop, we removed the diaper and sat him down. He was so uncomfortable, it was obvious. And the hole was nowhere near big enough--and he's a small 19 m/o. He immediately stood up, squatted in front of the potty and pooped. Then promptly picked up the poop and put it into the potty. So, he got the concept, and tried, but the potty was too uncomfortable.

We're going to get a new one tomorrow--maybe the Bjorn others have suggested. Thanks for the right thread at the right time!

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#12 of 15 Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 PM

I like the baby bjorn little potty and now the toilet ring since she is big enough to get to it without help. She would prefer to keep using the potty, but I hate cleaning it.
#13 of 15 Old 08-17-2008, 12:20 AM

We have the Baby Bjorn big potty for DD2 after much trial and error with DD1. I wanted something simple with just an easily removable pot to dump. I am been very, very pleased with this potty. I want to buy the little one for the car. Also, I think IKEA sells a potty cheap that is very similar to the little Baby Bjorn.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#14 of 15 Old 08-17-2008, 01:09 AM

We used to have the potty seat that attached to the actual toilet but it was short-lived. It made cleaning the toilet tricky and the seat just didnt' seem big enough. So we got rid of it early on. So no special potty or potty seat for us. We got DS a stool so he could reach and he's really good at balancing it.
#15 of 15 Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone! This has been wonderful info. We went out last night and bought the BB in both sizes...we'll send the smaller one to grammie's. And we also picked up the BB toilet seat just in case he prefers that and a little stool to go with it. DS was so excited about everything and kept holding his nose and saying "poop" and pointing at his potties. But late last night he came down this with a horrible cold, poor guy! Needless to say, we won't be pulling out the potties until he's feeling better.

Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page