Best Double Jogging Stroller? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-25-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have the opportunity to replace our double stroller. :

If cost were not an issue, which is the BEST double stroller you'd buy, and why? I'm asking specifically about a jogging stroller.

And if you have this stroller, where did you buy it, and were you happy with the transaction/customer service, etc?

Thanks!!

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#2 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

I felt I should list the reasons/requirements for a stroller, in case that helps with recommendations.
I am overwhelmed with the choices out there & don't know where to start.

--> I have two children, a 15mo & a nearly 4yo. Total combined weight of the two: just about 60lbs.
--> We jog at least 1x per week (yes, I currently do it in our clackity old 15lb stroller that has 6 weels & completely not intended for running in any way)... if I had a jogging stroller, we'd definitely jog much more often.
--> I or nanny or MIL or DH walks with the kids every day to the playground. Needs to be convenient.
--> MIL needs to be able to get it in/out of our minivan & set up - she cares for the children 3 days per week. She's strong & young, but still I don't want her having to maneuver/lug a giant stroller - I want her to want to use it, KWIM?
--> If its convenient, I'd use it for shopping myself. My toddler doesn't hold hands, doesn't always want to ergo, won't tolerate a cart, but does like the stroller if his sister rides too. So I guess I'd really like it to be able to go into the grocery store.
--> It can be darned hot & sunny here in the summer, and cold in the winter, but doesn't really snow - so good sunshades & good cover in cold weather is a plus.

So bottom line:
Convenient, on the smaller side, easy to open/close, good sun/weather shades, must hold more than 60lbs

Thanks again!

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#3 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 10:37 AM

I like my Baby Trend Expedition Duo I think it is called.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 AM

We have the BOB Revolution Duallie and it's a DREAM! The maneuvering is fantastic and it feels really light to push around even with about 60 pounds of kid weight. I don't drive much and use the stroller for grocery shopping and just all around transportation. For running I really like how sturdy it is- the overall quality is excellent.

We bought ours at REI during their August sale 2 years ago and got it for about $100 off the usual price. REI is great with customer service and since we had it shipped to the store we didn't have to pay shipping costs.

If you can't tell, I love our stroller and highly recommend it!

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
#5 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, if cost wasn't an issue, I'd go with a BOB double. I have the single and it is awesome. BOB's are extremely popular in my area, I knew several moms with the double and they all love it. We will probably get a double one next year as well....

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM

I researched them and decided on the Baby Jogger Performance Double. I did look into BOB strollers too, but the Performance Double fit our needs better. I trained for marathons with both kids in it. It has a weight of up to 150lbs and fits my very tall torso'd son. (He outgrew the Britax Marathon before 3 due to torso height and is currently on the last setting on the Britax Regent at 5, to give you an idea of his torso!) Also, I could start using it when a baby was only 6 weeks old. And it steers easily with kids of different weights. Currently, my son is 50lbs and my daughter is 25lbs. I love the double canopies that can be adjusted for each child seperately.

I think our stroller cost $400 when I bought it 2.5 years ago.

*The "best" stroller is whatever stroller works the best for your situation. There are too many variables to decide what the best stroller is for everyone. Though the BOB strollers are great, they weren't the best for our situation.
#7 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 02:20 PM

hands down - BOB revolution duallie. I LOVE THIS STROLLER! we call it the "Beast Of Burden" lol
i put a 12 wk old and a 3 yo in it.

got it at REI on sale. last years model at 20% off. used friend's membership to get free assembly and alignment (yes, it needs alignment) and an extra % off. the cust service was very good.

this is a $550+ stroller I got it for less than 400.

upsides
it is huge - like my kid chariot lol
superior materials and construction
the suspension/tires are great takes fields and rough terrain very well
can take a baby bucket style carseat and a toddler
resale value is pretty high
pushes like a dream
lots of storage options
tires have a quick release to save space
front wheel can be locked or swivel
actually folds pretty small for it's size
full sized sun shades, they pull down really far
high weight limit (75 lb i think, maybe 100)

downsides
it is HUGE - you can fit thru doorways but it is a tight squeeze. this will not go between clothes racks at the mall
need to purchase all accessories separately - the parent console, and the carseat adapter were extra
it folds, but has no catch to keep it folded, you need to use the brake strap to wrap around it to keep it closed
it weighs 30+ lbs and takes up most of the back of my pathfinder

all that being said, i would not bring this beast into, say, a grocery store. I've brought it to the mall and it was a bit hard to maneuver, but I need the storage space (ds1 is tube fed and has alot of 'accessories') so I deal.

it is perfect for outdoors. we walk the dog with it, I used it as my 'home base' during our community cleanup and we take it on local trails. most walks to the park or in the neighborhood are in this stroller

i would not have been able to buy it at full price. keep an eye out for sales. I believe rei has a sale on them right now - 10% off i think.
#8 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Check out REI this week/end, they have BOBs on sale for Labor Day!

I'm going with a Phil & Ted's, but was considering a BOB. I'm not a jogger though, I just need a good stroller for walking and the P&T seems like it will fit all of our needs.
#9 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

I suppose I should have listed my requirements for a stroller on this post too, sorry about that! I will edit above. Thanks to everyone who responded so far!

#10 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 PM

My vote is also for the BOB. It's not as wide as many double strollers, the sun shade is huge, it maneuvers so well too.

I also love the Chariots. We have a single and it is heaven. It's got a uv protector, sunshade, rain protector all attached so you don't have to remember to pack it along. It also can be used as a bike trailer, stroller, jogger. The downside is that it's a bit on the wide side and it's very pricey.
#11 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 05:42 PM

ooops,double post,sorry

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#12 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 05:49 PM

I only have one baby, so I have the BOB Revolution single seater. But I have tested the Bob Revolution Duallie (because you never know!) and it is SO easy to handle. And it's light. And just as great as the regular Bob Revolution.
#13 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 05:51 PM

I have an urban mountain buggy.It is great because you can lock the wheels to jog but then unlock them to go around the mall etc.It is narrow,you can lay them back when the sleep.I hands down love this stoller.The wheels are not too big either.
cons are it doesn't lock when you fold it up but you can lock it closed with the wrist strap and it is quite heavy but not terribly.
they are pricey but have good resale value on ebay and craigslist.
you could also look at the phil and teds with the seat in the back.this give you the option to jog with one or two children.
mine was around $600 I think but I had free shipping,rain covers and pump. it was from http://www.arunningstroller.com/

AWESOME lady to deal with.She often has floor models on sale too

ETA : I just looked and the price has gone up (we bought ours four years ago)but if money is not a factor,you won't be disappointed:0)

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#14 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 PM

Well, now I'll tell you why I'm going with the Phil & Ted's. I want to be able to use it for daily walks in the neighborhood, but also be able to take it places. I have a Honda Accord, so I needed something that could fold up and fit in the trunk. While I'm not a mall shopper, I do want to have the option to use it in public places where space might be tight, like grocery stores and such. I basically want something small and easy to maneuver, but can hold 2 kids. I like the versatility and range of configurations available with the P&T. I don't have it yet, but have heard nothing but good stuff about it.

But, like I said, I don't run. At all. Unless you were chasing me with a snake.
#15 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 07:15 PM

Another vote for the Chariot. I give it a big . It is very bulky though.

caffix.gif

#16 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

The phil & teds... do they make a side by side stroller? The only double I could find was one child on top of the other - that wouldn't work for my kids - neither would want to sit in the bottom seat!

#17 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlby View Post
I researched them and decided on the Baby Jogger Performance Double.
Yeah this one looks heavy-duty! That front wheel is awfully big - I'm guessing to carry the extra weight & distance... do you find it difficult to fold up into your car? I really need my MIL to be able to handle it, and she's not running with the kids.

#18 of 23 Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelette View Post
My vote is also for the BOB. It's not as wide as many double strollers, the sun shade is huge, it maneuvers so well too.

I also love the Chariots. We have a single and it is heaven. It's got a uv protector, sunshade, rain protector all attached so you don't have to remember to pack it along. It also can be used as a bike trailer, stroller, jogger. The downside is that it's a bit on the wide side and it's very pricey.
Lots of thumbs up for the BOB - I think I'll pursue that, there's one in the running store nearby, I'd like to see it in action.

And with the sale at REI, that might be the way to go. If its easier than the Chariot to fold up & maneuver, I'd probably go with that because my nanny & MIL will be using it for just walks around & going shopping, etc. not running.

#19 of 23 Old 09-01-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks Mama View Post
The phil & teds... do they make a side by side stroller? The only double I could find was one child on top of the other - that wouldn't work for my kids - neither would want to sit in the bottom seat!
yes,my next door neighbor has it for her twins.She loves it.

Natasha,Mum to many.
#20 of 23 Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 AM

Absolutely a CHARIOT! You can buy them at REI. :

Newly single mama to DS 4/20/2005. Recently back from ALASKA.
#21 of 23 Old 09-22-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlby View Post
I researched them and decided on the Baby Jogger Performance Double. I did look into BOB strollers too, but the Performance Double fit our needs better. I trained for marathons with both kids in it. It has a weight of up to 150lbs and fits my very tall torso'd son. (He outgrew the Britax Marathon before 3 due to torso height and is currently on the last setting on the Britax Regent at 5, to give you an idea of his torso!) Also, I could start using it when a baby was only 6 weeks old. And it steers easily with kids of different weights. Currently, my son is 50lbs and my daughter is 25lbs. I love the double canopies that can be adjusted for each child seperately.

I think our stroller cost $400 when I bought it 2.5 years ago.

*The "best" stroller is whatever stroller works the best for your situation. There are too many variables to decide what the best stroller is for everyone. Though the BOB strollers are great, they weren't the best for our situation.
I run and I prefer the Baby Jogger double vs the BOB. I wanted more of a 'workhorse' vs. a 'can do it all' stroller.

My Baby Jogger tracks straight, is comfy for my 4 yo and 2 yo, mom uses it, the sitter uses it, I use it. Worth the money. I used an ebay store and bought last years model at a good price.

Oh- I can fit it in the back of my subaru (and I have my seats tethered) and it fits in the back of my Honda O also.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#22 of 23 Old 10-01-2008, 04:43 AM
ltk

we have the phil and teds...I love it. i jog the rose bowl or our neighborhood. probably depends on your height, but I like that it isn't double wide or double long. our kids kind of switch off lately and it isn't a big deal.....I just hate double strollers in general, so this was my only choice! the newborn feature and the adaptability of it are GREAT!
#23 of 23 Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 AM

We've just got an Everest adventure buggy - designed and sold direct to consumers by Phil and Ted Green (the Phil and Ted's design team). It is rugged, extremely well made and thoroughly well designed. We love it!

They make them in New Zealand but ship for free to the UK (you'd have to ask about the US, but I'm sure it's the same).

here is the link: http://www.abcbuggy.co.nz/

Excellent customer service, too.

Good luck!

- Tracy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page