Toddlers feet turned out when walking? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
 
maliceinwonderland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds's feet, one more than the other are turned out when he's walking. It also seems like his one foot doesn't keep up as well, but it's really slight. So slight that everyone I mention it to thinks I'm nuts, so basically I'm the only one that sees it

It's way more pronounced when he's wearing shoes. He's been wearing sandals for most of his walking career because it was getting warm out and he was in love with his sister's sandals, so we got him his own pair.

I'm wondering if I should get it checked out, or if it's a normal variation of toddler walking. And also, now that it's fall and he'll be out of sandals, what are the best shoes for toddlers? He does a far amount of walking outside so he definitely needs a pair, in the house we're all barefooted and his feet don't seem to turn out, so I'm wondering if a good pair of shoes would fix the problem.
maliceinwonderland is offline  
#2 of 5 Old 08-28-2008, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
maliceinwonderland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bumping. Hoping someone might have an answer for me.
maliceinwonderland is offline  
#3 of 5 Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 PM
 
Bug-a-Boo's Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, no advice for you, but I feel your pain. K's feet point inward. Every doctor's appointment I mention it. I am told that it isn't a big deal. Hmm...not so sure about that. That he will grow out of it. From seeing video's of him when he first started walking, it does seem better now-but they still point inward. Supposedly it is something that they grow out of. I really hope so.


~*Heather*~
Wife to J 9/00 Mama to K 12/05
Bug-a-Boo's Mama is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 08-28-2008, 10:59 PM
 
kblackstone444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 3,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maliceinwonderland View Post
He does a far amount of walking outside so he definitely needs a pair, in the house we're all barefooted and his feet don't seem to turn out, so I'm wondering if a good pair of shoes would fix the problem.
Try the new shoes, first, in case it's just the sandles, but keep a close eye on it. Walking with one foot turned out and that same foot not keeping up as well could be an indication of something that may need attention in the future, as opposed to both feet turning out. Know what I mean? Or it could be he's just got a cute, unusual, way of walking. Is it just that one foot, or does it include his leg or even his arm on that side as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug-a-Boo's Mama View Post
Sorry, no advice for you, but I feel your pain. K's feet point inward. Every doctor's appointment I mention it. I am told that it isn't a big deal. Hmm...not so sure about that. That he will grow out of it. From seeing video's of him when he first started walking, it does seem better now-but they still point inward. Supposedly it is something that they grow out of. I really hope so.

It's quite common for toddler to walk with their toes inward. Usually, they do outgrow it. My son walked like that when he was a toddler/preschooler. He's 13 now, and although his toes do point slightly more inward than most people's it doesn't affect how he walks and it's not really noticable.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
kblackstone444 is offline  
#5 of 5 Old 08-28-2008, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
 
maliceinwonderland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhalfmoon View Post
Try the new shoes, first, in case it's just the sandles, but keep a close eye on it. Walking with one foot turned out and that same foot not keeping up as well could be an indication of something that may need attention in the future, as opposed to both feet turning out. Know what I mean? Or it could be he's just got a cute, unusual, way of walking. Is it just that one foot, or does it include his leg or even his arm on that side as well?
It's just the foot, leg and arm on that side are totally normal and the foot doesn't seem to turn out when he's standing either, just walking. As far as gross and fine motor skills he's always seemed to be ahead for his age. His other foot does seem to turn out a little too, so I was thinking it might just be how he walks right now. It definitely doesn't stop him from getting around, he's pretty darn quick. I read that most of the time feet turned in/out resolves itself by 3 but I was born with very severe club feet so I think I'm on high alert for abnormalities like that.

Oddly enough, his dad walks with both feet turned slightly out. I've always about it because I had never noticed it with anyone else before meeting him.
maliceinwonderland is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off