~~ May 2007 Mamas & Toddlers ~~ It's September!! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#91 of 111 Old 09-25-2008, 04:05 PM
 
livsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I apologize...this is totally unrelated to anything anyone has posted here, but my dd was born in May '07 as well...can I join your discussion? You've all had SUCH age-relevant things to say!!! Sorry if that's a silly question--I'm still new
livsmom is offline  
#92 of 111 Old 09-25-2008, 04:08 PM
 
ewins24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On a rainy island
Posts: 1,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
It went well. Pay is not great, but better than the "nothing" I am earning right now (actually, that's not true, I'm quite busy, just at the wrong time of day!).

I'm a little concerned about daycare. Tomorrow I have a teenager coming over to meet with us, then I'm headed to work and dropping DD at the daycare where she's been a couple of times. She cried the last time I left her there, the whole time I was gone If she doesn't settle in quickly I'm going to have to explore other options pretty seriously. I like them, she is studying montessori and they have two girls of their own and are like-minded in the way they parent thier kids. BUT, if there is some reason that DD cries when I leave her there, well, I just can't do it! I used to leave her with a different sitter and when I dropped her off there she would wave and run off still in her coat and shoes to play. *sigh*
CONGRATS on getting the job!!! Your pay can always go up right!

about the daycare. I hope that you are able to find a good solution for it and that you are both happy. Its so tough when our little ones are not happy.
Good luck sweetie!
ewins24 is offline  
#93 of 111 Old 09-25-2008, 04:16 PM
 
ewins24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On a rainy island
Posts: 1,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livsmom View Post
I apologize...this is totally unrelated to anything anyone has posted here, but my dd was born in May '07 as well...can I join your discussion? You've all had SUCH age-relevant things to say!!! Sorry if that's a silly question--I'm still new
to our little group! Jump right in!
ewins24 is offline  
#94 of 111 Old 09-25-2008, 04:27 PM
 
VOBetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Emily - my quote didn't work - but I LOVE your hair! Its stunning on you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livsmom View Post
I apologize...this is totally unrelated to anything anyone has posted here, but my dd was born in May '07 as well...can I join your discussion? You've all had SUCH age-relevant things to say!!! Sorry if that's a silly question--I'm still new
Welcome! Jump right in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
It went well. Pay is not great, but better than the "nothing" I am earning right now (actually, that's not true, I'm quite busy, just at the wrong time of day!).

I'm a little concerned about daycare. .... If she doesn't settle in quickly I'm going to have to explore other options pretty seriously. I like them, she is studying montessori and they have two girls of their own and are like-minded in the way they parent thier kids. BUT, if there is some reason that DD cries when I leave her there, well, I just can't do it! I used to leave her with a different sitter and when I dropped her off there she would wave and run off still in her coat and shoes to play. *sigh*
Hugs! It could just be age related. I know my kids have hard a harder time at daycare when they were 12-18 months. Because they seem to understand more that they are away from mom/dad. KWIM? I had to start working when my son was 11-12 months old and we had a rough few weeks at daycare - but I worked there, so I knew it was a safe place.


We are totally into climbing here too. My goodness, my little girl can climb!

How is everyone doing with nursing? I think I read a couple months back tha a few had weaned. I'm starting to get uncomfortable nursing Emma in public. Like all of a sudden, I realized that she's getting big. My friends (from my AP group) think its normal to stop nursing in public at a certain point - but I'm still struggling. Thoughts?

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

VOBetz is offline  
#95 of 111 Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
Ianthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 6,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livsmom View Post
I apologize...this is totally unrelated to anything anyone has posted here, but my dd was born in May '07 as well...can I join your discussion? You've all had SUCH age-relevant things to say!!! Sorry if that's a silly question--I'm still new
Hi.. welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOBetz View Post
How is everyone doing with nursing? I think I read a couple months back tha a few had weaned. I'm starting to get uncomfortable nursing Emma in public. Like all of a sudden, I realized that she's getting big. My friends (from my AP group) think its normal to stop nursing in public at a certain point - but I'm still struggling. Thoughts?
We are still nursing all the time. In fact I am nak-ing right now! In public, I think I cared more when he turned a year, but lately I've NIP without a second thought.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Ianthe is offline  
#96 of 111 Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 PM
 
BrooklynDoula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am still nursing Clay and we nurse in public. I nursed August until 3, so I imagine this will be similar.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

BrooklynDoula is offline  
#97 of 111 Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 PM
 
laneysprout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: left of center
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're still nursing anywhere and everywhere. Though I wish less of it took place in the wee hours of the morning in the family bed.

treehugger.gif
laneysprout is offline  
#98 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 02:06 AM
 
kdtmom2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewins24 View Post
CONGRATS on getting the job!!! Your pay can always go up right!

about the daycare. I hope that you are able to find a good solution for it and that you are both happy. Its so tough when our little ones are not happy.
Good luck sweetie!
Oh I haven't actually GOT the job yet!
In fact, having thought about it more, I'm not really sure that I want it. I have 7 students right now for my tutoring and that actually pays not too badly and another mom friend of mine with a slightly older boy is looking for work right now, and therefore daycare. If it works out maybe I'll do daycare for her and that will solve problems for both of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOBetz View Post
Hugs! It could just be age related. I know my kids have hard a harder time at daycare when they were 12-18 months. Because they seem to understand more that they are away from mom/dad. KWIM? I had to start working when my son was 11-12 months old and we had a rough few weeks at daycare - but I worked there, so I knew it was a safe place.
Today went better. She was a bit timid when I dropped her off, but she was playing happily when I left and I told her that I was going to work (in words and sign, which I think helped her to understand because she's really grasped the concept of work meaning that we come home after). When I picked her up she dragged me around showing me where her bag was and what she was playing with and was happy. SO, much better. Next time is for 4 hours instead of 2 hrs, so I hope it continues to get better.


Quote:
How is everyone doing with nursing? I think I read a couple months back tha a few had weaned. I'm starting to get uncomfortable nursing Emma in public. Like all of a sudden, I realized that she's getting big. My friends (from my AP group) think its normal to stop nursing in public at a certain point - but I'm still struggling. Thoughts?
We are still nursing, though not as much in public any more. Not because I don't want to, but more because she doesn't ask. Sometimes she asks at inopportune moments (like in the middle of our gymnastics class today) and I say no and put her off until later. Most days she is only nursing before and after bed and nap and once in a while once in the mid-morning and once in the mid-afternoon, but she's not been asking for those lately.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
kdtmom2be is offline  
#99 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 03:18 AM
 
ewins24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On a rainy island
Posts: 1,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Oh I haven't actually GOT the job yet!
In fact, having thought about it more, I'm not really sure that I want it. I have 7 students right now for my tutoring and that actually pays not too badly and another mom friend of mine with a slightly older boy is looking for work right now, and therefore daycare. If it works out maybe I'll do daycare for her and that will solve problems for both of us!



Today went better. She was a bit timid when I dropped her off, but she was playing happily when I left and I told her that I was going to work (in words and sign, which I think helped her to understand because she's really grasped the concept of work meaning that we come home after). When I picked her up she dragged me around showing me where her bag was and what she was playing with and was happy. SO, much better. Next time is for 4 hours instead of 2 hrs, so I hope it continues to get better.

Ah OK, I understand now. That would be an AWESOME situation for you and your friend. I hope that whatever you decided to do that you will both be happy.

I'm soooooo glad to hear that she did so much better today at daycare! That is so great! Makes it so much easier!
ewins24 is offline  
#100 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 03:21 AM
 
ewins24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On a rainy island
Posts: 1,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As for nursing. We are still nursing anywhere and everywhere she needs too. Although, we don't nurse in public very often but its just b/c she doesn't ask. But I have no problem nursing her when she needs to when she needs too.

I nursed DD2 in public until she was about 2 1/2 almost 3 and that was b/c she started only nursing to sleep.
ewins24 is offline  
#101 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
 
dancebaraka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome livsmom!


Re: Nursing.
We are nursing tons still, but not often in public. I prefer to have a quiet private place to nurse Akasha because she nurses like a squirrel monkey or something. But of course I'll still nip if she really needs it. We do most of our nursing between the hours of 4-7am in the family bed. I want to nurse to some extent throughout our stay in China next summer, for her immune health, etc. But I can also see that if Akasha night weans she may wean completely. We really only nurse 3-4x during daylight hours.
I heart our big cuddly family bed.

Grace Comes.

dancebaraka is offline  
#102 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 05:55 PM
 
livsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all for welcoming me!

In regards to nursing, I am very sad to say that my milk supply began decreasing when dd was only 4mo. I tried several kinds of herbs, pumping every hour, letting dd suck for extended period, etc. to no avail. DD would get extremely frustrated as well because my let-down took a long time. When I started working (dd was 5.5mo), I would pump every two hours (4x per day) and get no more than 4-5 oz. of milk. The supply kept gradually decreasing until it was completely gone when she was 7mo. So now she drinks goat's milk, which was recommended by a naturopathic doctor for it's similarities to human milk, and we supplement her with DHA from fish oils. I also always give her milk in a bottle (to many people's dismay, because she does drink out of a cup) and snuggle with her while she drinks it. I wish more than anything that I was still breastfeeding!

About Daycare: DD has been with the same provider since she was 5.5mo and has just started crying when I drop off now and then. She seems to only cry on days when she's tired or something else is bothering her. It is always heart-breaking to walk away from your crying babe but as long as I know she is in excellent care, I can usually let it go once I'm at work. Most days I hand her over and she happily waves and says "Buh-bye!" so that helps, too. I don't think it will ever feel like someone else takes better care of our babes than we do ourselves, so it's always hard to leave.

How are meal times going for you? DD is throwing lots of food on the ground lately and also likes to chew her food up and then spit it out. I'm not really sure if I should be doing anything about it, so we've sort of just ignored it or gently said no. Recently, if there is still food on the ground when she gets down from her chair, she will help pick it up! It's so funny!

Ok...this is much longer than I anticipated! Sorry for such a long post!
livsmom is offline  
#103 of 111 Old 09-26-2008, 08:11 PM
 
kirstenb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Diego County
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livsmom View Post
How are meal times going for you? DD is throwing lots of food on the ground lately and also likes to chew her food up and then spit it out. I'm not really sure if I should be doing anything about it, so we've sort of just ignored it or gently said no. Recently, if there is still food on the ground when she gets down from her chair, she will help pick it up! It's so funny!
DS throws food too, but usually when he is about done and getting bored. I just try to stay on top of it or I will have a big mess on my hands! The 1st time he does it, I tell him that we don't throw our food. If he's not done eating he will stop and continue to eat. If he is done, he will keep throwing food- at that point we take his plate away and clean him up to get down. Pretty much the only time he does throw food is if he is done eating.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
kirstenb is offline  
#104 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
Ianthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 6,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
DS throws food too, but usually when he is about done and getting bored. I just try to stay on top of it or I will have a big mess on my hands! The 1st time he does it, I tell him that we don't throw our food. If he's not done eating he will stop and continue to eat. If he is done, he will keep throwing food- at that point we take his plate away and clean him up to get down. Pretty much the only time he does throw food is if he is done eating.
Same with Sebastian.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Ianthe is offline  
#105 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 01:42 PM
 
dancebaraka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kash is real into having art time with her food.

Grace Comes.

dancebaraka is offline  
#106 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 01:46 PM
 
kdtmom2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So is Kayleigh. I have caught her on more than one occassion emptying out the salt shaker and drawing pictures in the salt on the table.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
kdtmom2be is offline  
#107 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 04:19 PM
 
lisasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oliver is throwing most of his food these days. he is also into taking a bite of food, throwing the rest down and then screaming for more. lather, rinse, repeat. its frustrating and he's not actually eating much. i don't know that theres much i can really do about it though.

as for nursing, i am so so so ready to be done with it. i don't mind nursing to sleep or right after sleep, but the nursing all day long is really getting old for me. everytime i leave his side for even 10 minutes and then come back he demands to nurse. very frustrating. DH wants to start the weaning process for this reason, but i'm not quite sure how to go about that. he's obviously not ready.
lisasaurus is offline  
#108 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 04:48 PM
 
dancebaraka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh my! Is anyone here watching the news?

Grace Comes.

dancebaraka is offline  
#109 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 05:54 PM
 
fioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cumberland, MD
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kermit clears off his high chair tray completely when he finishes eating. So I really have to pay attention to him We still nurse everywhere he wants, but like others have said, he doesn't ask to nurse when we're out that often. That's fine with me because he likes to shove my shirt up so he can get his hands on both boobs while he nurses. Makes it difficult to be discreet. He still nurses lots at home. He's been biting quite a bit lately. He bites when he's being silly or affectionate, so I don't really "discipline" him for it, I just try not to make a big deal about it.
fioner is offline  
#110 of 111 Old 09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
 
VOBetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I guess I'll answer my own question re: nursing.

We are still nursing nursing nursing. I didn't nurse DS this long, and I keep waiting for DH to make little crappy comments like he did last time. Although, I feel differently this time - so I'm not as easily swayed. Anyway - that's another ranty post. We nurse 4-6 times daily. We are gently trying to night wean. Its been a hard couple of months for me with DH out of town 5-6 days a week every week - so we've decided to cut down night nursing to try to make the relationship more enjoyable for me. I am not sure where I stand on CLW - but I do know that I don't want to resent our nursing relationship. And with all the night waking at 16 months, I was sure starting to feel some resentment.

Things are going well with night weaning though - last night was night #2 that we didn't nurse and so far, she hasn't come apart at the seams. DH is now home - (he didn't graduate from the Fire Academy) and he's helping.

Throwing Food
It must be age related - because MY MY MY - Emma is hard to clean up after. We take away her food after throw #2 though. She only throws when she's done or mad. She gets mad, for example, if I'm drinking lemonade and won't get her some, and give her water - she'll throw the water cup. Geez - she's a live wire!:

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

VOBetz is offline  
#111 of 111 Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 PM
 
meesa143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started an October thread.
meesa143 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off