~* June 2007 Moms * September *~ - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 114 Old 09-23-2008, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mab View Post
One more thing i wanted to add for you for reassurence , momtokay: : ds also eats lots and his only chubby-ness is provided by his cloth diapers once they are out you see his petite self. I also don't see him as skinny, but 2 other toddlers who are around our waldorf kinder (younger siblings to ds1's classmates) are the same age and bigger and...sturdier...iykwim. and altough ds is petite and doesn't walk yet, you can see him as a healthy child, as i'm sure yours is.
I don't think she is too small. My DS at 15 months was 30.5 in and 23lbs. So she is on the lighter side, but not too drastically.
#92 of 114 Old 09-23-2008, 11:28 AM

We have a dr appointment on Thursday so I'll have "official" height/weight then.

Welcome Ramona! Glad you found us!

My brain is total mush so please forgive if I asked this a page ago but... now that it's getting chilly Ro is having her Raynauds-like attacks again. I know the dr wont officially say Raynauds (she's "too young") but any ideas? I've got her dressed in layers (socks, hugalugs, pants, slippers from the waist down and onsie, long sleeve shirt, vest on the upper end) but her hands and feet are still purple freeze pops with the red/blue discoloration going up her arms to her elbows.

This only happened 1-2 times over the summer (but now happens off and on all day) and her blood oxygen levels were fine the one time we checked... so I'm pretty sure it's not her heart/lungs. But this kiddo hates clothing, hates having things on her feet, hates having her hands covered, hates hats with a passion...

Help! Any ideas for keeping her warm?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#93 of 114 Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 AM

Welcome Ramona!

Clay, will massage help with the circulation? Is it a bad circulation issue? The discoloring makes it sound like it is, but I'm not familiar with Raynauds. You can tell if her oxygen level is good by looking at her fingernails and toenails - if they are blue there is poor oxygen. Especially the toes since they are furthest point from the heart. Will she let you wrap her in a warm blanket for snuggles? Will she keep a warmed rice pack on her for a few mins? Does she like warm baths (but then she may get cold again when getting out). Will she wear a bathrobe?

Its funny because Evan is the complete opposite - he's hot and sweaty all the time. He rarely ever wears clothes. Its gotten to the point that when I have to dress him he hates to wear clothes and tries to take them off. I feel like I'm destined to have a nudist child. I hear its normal in heart babies but his sweatiness sometimes worries me. He gets extremely clammy.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#94 of 114 Old 09-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Raynauds is an innapropriately strong reaction to cold or to a change in temperature. So where a normal person might have a specific cold reaction when they walk into a store freezer room (blood flow reduced to extremities, hands/feet turn icy/purple, nose, ears, even nipples chilled/discolored, tingly pain in those areas when bloodflow is normalized), a person with Raynauds might have the same level of reaction by just standing in front of their open fridge. Change in temp is a common trigger... air conditioning, grocery store freezer aisle, etc... as well as general cold temps.

Ro loves hot baths and I do snuggle her into a bath for 20 or so minutes each night, and then as quickly as possible into warmed footie jammies and a blanket, it's more her day to day activities that I can't figure out. The general advice is for Raynauds kiddos to wear gloves and carry hot packs in their shoes/pockets and biofeedback is a common treatment to help them regulate blood flow to the hands/feet but she's too young/not verbal enough. I can keep her core toasty with layers but for example she's on my lap right now and her belly/core (under her wool sweater and cotton onsie) is damp/sweaty but her hands are ice cubes. It's 57 degrees right now in here and she seems to react as soon as the temp drops below the mid/lower 60s. Our heat comes from a wood stove and right now the temps just wont support the stove...

Funny about Evan being a nekkid kiddo too! DD1 loves wearing clothes... layer upon layer upon layer. She isn't cold, she just likes clothes! And here is dd2, actually needing clothing, and she's the run nekkid through the woods babe. The bathrobe is a good idea... maybe a sort of kimono like thing would amuse her?

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#95 of 114 Old 09-23-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

A. got his second vaccination today. We did one dose of Polio last month, and our first dose of DTaP today. (We're not 100% anti-vax, but we do delay starting and avoid most of the optional ones.) He did fine, and seems completely normal and active right now, so here's hoping he doesn't have any unpleasant reactions later on.

On clothing, warmth, & nudism:
A. prefers to be naked. He's learned to remove his own diaper (velcro AND snap versions) and undo zippers already. S. certainly wasn't into those actions at this age. A. also loves to bathe, which his brother did/does despise. He never seems to feel the cold. He can't sleep covered up at all, and seems aggravated by even having feet on his pj's.

Would something really lightweight like silk long underwear help keep Ro dressed? That feels as much like naked skin as anything can, IMHO. (I just splurged on silk longies for S. as he needs to be dressed warmly for Waldorf school, and now he loves them and wants to wear them as jammies as well as under his clothes no matter how warm it is. ) Silk also won't hang up on other layers of clothing so she'd feel more free, I'd think.

www.wintersilks.com only goes down to an XXS (probably 2/3?) but I KNOW I just saw baby silk somewhere... (Quick web search...) Ah yes! Lands' End has down to a 2T. I'm debating getting a pair for A., too, though he tends to be a hot little guy so I'm inclined not to spend the money. ($19.50 each for top and pants! WinterSilks were $17.95/piece but buy 2 or more for 16.95 each.)
www.campmor.com is also worth checking but I've never seen silk below size 4 there, though they always have some of the modern performance fabrics in toddler/infant sizes...

And as for the rest of my life:
Driving to school continues to kick my butt. I'd never survive living in California where people drive everywhere. I *THINK* that, by next week, I've got someone willing to take S. Monday and Tuesday mornings, then a different mom bringing him home Wednesday at noon. If I can find someone to bring him home Thursday at noontime, I'll only have to drive to school once each day. Phew!

My mom is en route from Oregon right now. She'll be horrified by my mess (as usual), but it'll be good to have the company again.

--willo
#96 of 114 Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 PM

WTG, Evan! That's such good news!

Wish I had something useful to suggest about Ro--I get cold hands and feet all winter but nothing like what she's dealing with. Hope there are some good suggestions out there!

Tonight I began my nearly 2 week adventure as solo parent. DH is on a work trip overseas until early October. Ugh. Of course we didn't start off so well. He left at dinner time to get to the airport for his night flight so we went outside to wave goodbye before dessert and then came back in to have applesauce. I was feeling sad and lonely so decided to get a bowl for myself and had the idea to jazz them up with a sprinkle of cinnamon. You can see where this is going....Not 15 minutes later, DD has this horrible red rash on her face and I'm freaking out thinking about what a terrible mother I am since I'll probably have to take her to the hospital for an allergy attack on my first night with her. But thanks to the almighty Google, I learned that cinnamon is a very common irritant/allergy. The rash subsided in about 45 minutes, thankfully and she didn't seem to have any breathing problems or anything and I know she's eaten it baked in other things before without a problem. Still scared the pants off me though. : Wish us luck with the next couple of weeks!

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#97 of 114 Old 09-23-2008, 11:07 PM

Wombat, poor Ro...I grew up suffering from Reynods, I have aweful vivid memories of christmas tree hunting and screaming in agony in the car becuse we were outside for too long and I just couldn't get my hands and feet to warm up. My hands and feet had a tendancy to sweat and freeze at the same time, it was like a double wammy. My best advice is to try to keep her extremities dry and well circulated. I learned to move my fingers and toes constantly to keep the blood moving. At her age that could be hard. I would suggest adding things to her diet that naturally gets the blood moving, such as cinnamon, and ginger. Warm tea and soups with natural PITA enducing properties. I had it pretty bad but grew out of it around 18 yrs old. It still rears it's ugly head every now and then but nothing like it was. I am sorry you are dealing with this, maybe naturopath or herbalist could help. Or accupuncture, is there such thing as baby accupuncture?

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#98 of 114 Old 09-24-2008, 01:50 AM

Hi. I'm pretty new to MDC and brand new to the June 2007 board.
My guy....we call him "The Great Orator." He only has a handful of real words, but he gives these 2 or 3 minute long "gibberish addresses", often times waving some sort of stick-like object for emphasis. (anyone else's kid have an affinity for sharp pointy things: spoons, drumsticks, brooms, mops, kitchen utensils of every kind?)
He knows about 35 signs, but as far as actual words go, he says "pants" in a funny voice (that's papa's doing), meow-meow & woof-woof for their respective animals, a noise like "hello" when he hears a phone, and "Uh-Oh, Spaghetti-O's"
but it reminds me of the monster in that movie Young Frankenstein singing "Puttin' on the Ritz."
no molars yet, but I can relate to the weight concerns, as Sebastian was always a tank -- topping the charts in the 90th% -- and suddenly he just stalled out once he started walking/crawling. Now that he's growing up instead of out, he's wearing clothes that he already outgrew (if that makes any sense.)
I can also relate to the having a little heater for a baby. That kid has the sweatiest feet! He's also picky about his clothes. He hates long sleaves, blankets, and anything clingy. Makes co-sleeping tough. (Burrrrrrr!
Oh, yeah: Autumn rocks! You can break out all the great cool weather accessories (scarves, hats, and whatnot.) but, unlike winter, they aren't necessary for your survival!
plus pumpkin anything is great!
#99 of 114 Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
(anyone else's kid have an affinity for sharp pointy things: spoons, drumsticks, brooms, mops, kitchen utensils of every kind?)
Oh yes. Mine does. He has a little baby-sized butter knife that he tries to stab things with...

Wombat, I can't think of any other suggestions for you other than maybe trying to find a way to increase the temp in your house. I feel very sorry for Ro. I don't think I have Reynauds but I've always told everyone I have poor circulation or something because everyone else will be fine and I have to sit on my feet or put my hands in my bra because I am so freezing cold!! : At 57 degrees indoors I would be suffering.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#100 of 114 Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 AM

Puffin: I'm glad Joy is ok. That must have been scary. I hope things are easy for you while your DH is away.

Welcome Erratum! Glad you found us!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#101 of 114 Old 09-24-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
Oh yes. Mine does. He has a little baby-sized butter knife that he tries to stab things with....

This whole discussion about Raynauds is really interesting...I feel bad for your litle Ro. The warm soups sound like a great way to warm up though and I know ginger does wonders for warming up the body's constitution when its on the damp/cold side (Ayurveda to the rescue!)

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
#102 of 114 Old 09-24-2008, 01:26 PM

Welcome erratum!

Thanks for the ideas about soups and silkies! I'm thinking maybe a small metal bottle with some ginger tea might be a good "all the time" item for her. Or a stuffed animal with "pockets" for her hands. And I can see silk jammies being a must. I hope she outgrows it too... several of the women in my mom's family have Raynauds so it's something I knew to look for. I think the national groups say something like 10% of the population have it but don't know about it. I'm pulling that number out of the air btw so don't quote it!

Ack to the reaction! I'd be scared too! Dh is going camping next weekend and it will be my first solo parenting with two mobile kiddos (last time he left for a weekend Ro was still a bloblette). Tell me happy positive stories of sunshine and joy, k? I'm glad everything cleared up quickly though!

#103 of 114 Old 09-24-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

My DH had to go to Germany for just a few days for work, so my mom flew out from Oregon just 'cuz I'm too wimpy to be home alone with my own two kids!

Since Mom is here, we're cleaning/organizing, OF COURSE. While DH isn't here to protect all of his gangly, overgrown plants, A. grabbed a low-hanging piece today AND ATE IT, laughing gleefully as I came running. So we cut off a shopping bag full of what we think were unhealthy long stringy bits (these are mostly spider plants and pothos), moved all the 4 ft high plants up to 6 ft high shelves, and vacuumed all the dead leaves up (and a dead beetle) from behind the shelves. Then we moved on to re-organizing all the toys in the downstairs play room because DS#1 "cleaned up" by himself the other day and some very odd things were put in very unusual places.

Now I'm so tired I'm ready to die. I can't wait to get the latest thyroid test results to see if I'm really hypo now or just totally a hypochondriac!

--willo
#104 of 114 Old 09-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Mab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Another bit of good news: Evan is no longer delayed!
go Evan!:
#105 of 114 Old 09-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Had our 15mo ped visit today... Ro is 20lbs 6oz and 30.5 inches tall. So that's up a pound and an inch from her one year visit even if she is still in the teeny tiny % portion of the charts.

We've been given a referal number for the EI/infant-child assessment people. I have to call them to arrange a visit for Ro. She is physically fine, developmentally on or ahead of the curve, but the sensory issues may be "the real deal". So she needs some further analysis. I'm kind of nervous actually...

#106 of 114 Old 09-25-2008, 08:30 PM

Yay for Ro's weight gain! Good luck with the evaluation. DS1 has sensory issues and while it can be difficult to deal with at times it is manageable. She's still the same Ro you know and love - with or without an official diagnosis

#107 of 114 Old 09-26-2008, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
We've been given a referal number for the EI/infant-child assessment people. I have to call them to arrange a visit for Ro. She is physically fine, developmentally on or ahead of the curve, but the sensory issues may be "the real deal". So she needs some further analysis. I'm kind of nervous actually...
Even the smallest "insult" to our kids' perfection can feel so sickeningly wrong, can't it? But thank God we live in a world where help is readily available! Another mom I knew down the street went through Early Intervention for her daughter's sensory issues, and, a couple of months into it, she was telling me how horrified she was at first, but how amazing and wonderful the progress was that the fantastic therapist was making with her child. I hope, if you guys end up being in the EI system for a while, that it works as well for Ro as it did for the two kids I know whose moms praise its work so lavishly. (I think both felt bad/embarrassed when they started, but ended up so happy...)

My latest thyroid numbers are... low, but still only one outside the normal range,and the other two are right at the bottom of normal. I know I've read somewhere about people thinking you need to start synthetic thyroid hormone at levels above the current "too low" level. If I don't feel better by my next blood draw (2 weeks), I may start inquiring about that. I'm less irritable and otherwise feel less "weird" than I did when HYPERthyroid, but this level of fatigue makes me almost incapable of handling bedtime without DH here to help. I can barely move by 8 pm.

We picked up our CSA produce yesterday as usual, but, for the first time, A. sort of noticed that they were food items. He bit into two pears, one apple, a raw potato and a raw sweet potato last night. Any time he got near the fruits/veggies, he attacked. It was so funny. There are tiny little teeth marks in half our items.

--willo
#108 of 114 Old 09-26-2008, 09:47 AM

Thanks!

I've actually been pushing the ped for almost a year to get us an evaluation... but now that I actually have a case number and am supposed to call the Center I'm all nervous. I always have a lot of anxiety when doing "new things" and this is certainly a new thing! I'm lucky to know several kiddos who have had wonderful experiences in EI, but I think most of my nervousness comes from a sort of "what if". "What if" this really is nothing and I'm bugging everyone for nothing? "What if" this is just Ro's personality? "What if" I look like a total overbearing parent pushing their child?

I know, I know, I've read Protecting the Gift and a bunch of other books, and spoken with mamas here, and I know I need to go with my gut feeling and just see where it leads. (Jilian, you're on my "heros list" as a "mama power" inspiration in case you're wondering!) But since Ro is physically fine and intellectually fine I sort of feel like I'm wasting people's time over what may just be an insanly high needs kiddo with major attachment issues.

#109 of 114 Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM

Clay: I think the fact that you are seeking EI shows that you do feel like there is something that she may need help with. We worked with EI and they were wonderful. Really, really wonderful. Our therapist loved kids so much. She had tears in her eyes when she dischared Ev and she only worked with him for 6 mos. They truly want to help. In our experience they did an initial evaluation to see if he even qualified for services then set goals and went from there. They did the eval and therapy right in our house. The program was called early steps and it was free.

I do remember being worried in the beginning because of my alternate parenting style. I felt like it would be under attack and possibly even blamed for his delays. But they were very respectful. I was also nervous about them pushing him too far and him screaming but they were very respectful of that too. I think they could have even pushed him more sometimes.

With DS1 I can honestly say I knew he was different from his first day. He was so much more intense than other abies and I had a feeling something was different. Moms just know. I regret that I didn't get him an eval until he was 3. A lot of it had to do with my ex who insisted he was fine and talked me out of my instincts all the time - but that is a whole different story So I think it is great that you are looking into it early, even if it winds us being nothing. I hope it goes well!

#110 of 114 Old 09-29-2008, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

I got the estimate for de-leading my house.
$28k for the interior (16 days to complete)
$15k for the exterior (11 days to complete)

Not $60,000, but not exactly affordable, either. :

So now I need to get back to them and find out how much they can accomplish during our December trip to Oregon (no one can enter the house during the work, including at night) and see if I can afford that number of days by then...

S. rode to kindergarten with a friend today. It was so hard to put him in someone else's car and watch him go!!!

--willo
#111 of 114 Old 09-29-2008, 08:46 PM

Yowsa!

You know, someone told me a loooong time ago that it doesn't matter if you're swimming in 40 feet or 400 feet... you still can't touch bottom. And those prices! Ack! Good luck and stay strong Willo!

How are you doing health-wsie these days? Have you balanced out a bit more or are you still bouncing back and forth?

I did the in-take process for the EI program today...we'll see what happens. They say they usually have everything done within a month-45 days. So I guess I'll know soonish if there is anything they can do. I looked at the online description and really I don't know if Ro fits within their mandate. But I don't know who else she should see so maybe even if she doesn't fit there they'll be able to point us to someone else. And maybe by the time they have an opening we wont need them anymore!

#112 of 114 Old 09-29-2008, 08:58 PM

Wow, willo, that's a steep price tag! Sorry you have to deal with all of this...

Wombat--glad to hear that the ball is rolling with the EI folks. At the very least, you'll have more info to use for yourself in understanding what's up with Ro and what might be helpful for her.

We're a bit frazzled here. DH has been gone a week and won't be back until Saturday and we're already getting to the end of our ropes. Joy is very clingy, but also hitting and throwing fits and sleeping terribly. I'm tired and easily set off and not as patient as usual and have been snappish and even yelled at her the last couple of days. I absolutely hate this. I am definitely not being the parent I want to be but I feel totally spent. I really admire those parents that lovingly raise their kids alone---this is only 2 weeks and feels unbearable.

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#113 of 114 Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 PM

Willo: Yikes!

Clay: I'm glad you started the process. I hope it helps!

Puffin: I hope the 2 weeks go by quickly. Its really hard when you don't get a break, I tend to get crabby and short tempered when I'm stressed/overworked too.

#114 of 114 Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 AM

Hi all, welcome to October. I started us a new thread here.
October June Moms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page