Learning a second language with your toddler... anyone tried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-06-2003, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Dh and I are both English-only speakers. We both know a little French from school, and MIL was a French major in college, so she knows quite a bit more, but I wouldn't say that even she is truly fluent. Anyway, I'd really like Katie to have the chance to learn, or at least be exposed to, a second language. We have the opportunity to participate in a playgroup that is in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish at all, so we'd be learning together. Has anyone tried this, or something similar, with their toddler? How did it go? Will it be too confusing for her, since we don't speak Spanish at home at ALL? I don't want to frustrate her... I want her to have fun and learn. Is this something you'd attempt with your 18-month-old?

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
#2 of 5 Old 11-06-2003, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
First may I just say that it’s totally wonderful that you’re thinking of doing this for yourself AND your child. Over the three years that I’ve been seriously thinking of raising children I’ve been thinking that exposing your child to a second language is one of the most important things you could do as a parent! For me, giving my child a gift of a second language has been a sincere goal of mine. I never pledged to nurse until my child naturally weaned, I never said I would devote every waking second to my daughter but I have pledged to give her a second language. There, I said it; it’s on the WWW…uh oh, now I’ve got to stick to it!

Anyway, I’m also not bilingual but my daughter and I are learning German at the same time. We aren’t taking classes together but I’m learning at school and Aya is learning from me, books and from friends. When she is 3 years old she will begin school in Germany and will be immersed in the language.

She’s nagging me right now, in English…I’ll write more later,

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 5 Old 11-06-2003, 10:12 PM

I'm bilingual and so is my daughter, but we've been learning sign language together, too. Of course, we are a loooooong way away from being fluent, but the way I look it at-- it can't hurt to try. Learning a language (inc. a first language) can be very frustrating, but as long as there aren't any big blocks (like someone trying to shame the learner), the frustration can lead to motivation. I'd go to the playgroup in a heartbeat, but I bet the kids will speak English, too, anyway. It's hard to keep them from it!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#4 of 5 Old 11-07-2003, 02:59 AM

my husband is colombian and speaks to my son almost exclusivly in spanish. in the 4 years i have been with DH you would think i would be bilingual by now, but no. so i am learing alongside my son, and i like it. IMO the best thing for the child is if they can hear native speaker, weather it is on tape, video, or in person. i took a psych class once that said that thier language centers in thier brains are capable of dicerning like thousans of variations in sound, accent, etc, and then the longer they hear/speak thier language they filter the other sounds out and arent as perceptive to them. ( thus making it harder to have a perfect accent when speaking a foriegn language) anyway i just think thats so cool and think exposing them to native accents if possible is really good.

my son can pronounce vowel sounds that i cannot, my DH says.
#5 of 5 Old 11-07-2003, 05:23 PM

I'd like to learn Spanish, and I definitely want my son to learn. I haven't given much thought to when or how we'll do this. Ds is 2, and already counts to 8 in Spanish. He watches Dora the Explorer, and hangs on her every word.

Dh has always wanted to learn Spanish, and I think we should make this a family project. I'm just looking forward to hearing dh's Tennessee tinged Spanish accent!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page