Sippy cup- water is gross! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-17-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS has a sippy cup that we wash out daily. I was interested in seeing what his water tasted like after sitting in the cup for a while.. it tasted like pastic!
#2 of 19 Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I, too, have tried drinking water from a sippy cup - to test the valve. Even fresh water tasted/smelled like the plastic. I couldn't drink from it unless I were very thirsty. DS's don't seem to mind though... and I don't know of easy/nonsmelly alternatives. Ours are Playtex brand.
#3 of 19 Old 09-17-2008, 03:32 PM

Ew. I strongly recommend the kleen canteen sippy. Plastic flavored water just can't be good for anybody.
#4 of 19 Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 PM

that sounds gross. My DS drinks water from a Sigg bottle and I have drank out of it plenty of times and it tastes fine. They are aluminum bottles.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#5 of 19 Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 PM

Foogo (found on Amazon and at some Targets) makes straw cups and sippy cups made of stainless. I've never tried the sippies, but the straw cup water tastes fine - DD and I share all the time.
#6 of 19 Old 09-17-2008, 10:20 PM

gotta go stainless steel, it's the only way> Our plastic sippys start tasting plasticky after the water sits in them for a very short time. I only use them if I can't find the steel one, and then I make sure she drinks it right away and then rinse it out. I don't really want her drinking plastic leach!

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#7 of 19 Old 09-18-2008, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora665 View Post
Foogo (found on Amazon and at some Targets) makes straw cups and sippy cups made of stainless. I've never tried the sippies, but the straw cup water tastes fine - DD and I share all the time.
I looked on the target website and read 1 of the reviews about mold- have you had this problem? How do you clean it to avoid the mold issue? I really like this cup.
#8 of 19 Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned

I found the Foogos to be kinda heavy and DS was not interested in using them. I have 3 if anyone is interested lol. I got him a BPA-free Nalgene bottle. He loves that one.
#9 of 19 Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 PM

I am wondering if this is why my almost 15 mo DD is so reluctant to drink from most any plastic sippy cup she is given. She has always used a glass bottle, a regular glass or a melamine cup. I will have to offer her a stainless steel sippy...

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#10 of 19 Old 09-18-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybean View Post
I looked on the target website and read 1 of the reviews about mold- have you had this problem? How do you clean it to avoid the mold issue? I really like this cup.
We don't have the sippy, just the straw cup. Never any problems with mold. We run it through the dishwasher at the end of the day (cup, straw, lid, and straw holder thing). 1 cup per day. Easy peasy. I hate anything with a valve for that very reason.
#11 of 19 Old 09-18-2008, 02:51 PM

What about a real cup?

I only use a sippy (Born Free kind) when he is in the car or stroller. Other than that, he (and I) prefer a small glass cup.
#12 of 19 Old 09-18-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybean View Post
our sippy molded. We left water in near the bed and forgot about it for a day or two and now there is mold in the sippy part. We can't get it clean and we just stopped using it and I'm pissed because it was expensive! Ds has a sigg bottle that we use most of the time, born free cups that I try to rinse out several times a day and then regular cheap-y plastic cups that we use when we can't find others.
#13 of 19 Old 09-18-2008, 06:04 PM

How about the Klean Kanteen? No mold issues and the water tastes like water. My toddler was not too happy about the sippy top b/c she would see her older sisters using the sports cap, so I bought extra sports caps and now she is happy and prefers this cup to the plastic ones.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#14 of 19 Old 09-18-2008, 06:06 PM

Kleen Kanteen are great for that reason
That said, my almost three year old really doesn't like his Kleen Kanteen and loves the colorful plastic sippy cups.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#15 of 19 Old 09-18-2008, 06:51 PM

We use the Foogo sippy cups and I've never had a mold issue. I only put water in them. I'll admit that I've even let her use it 2 days in a row before washing sometimes The water inside stays cold even in the heat on the TX summer sitting the car for a couple of hours. My only complaints are that it's small and it's a sippy cup. I prefer straw cups, but the Foogo straw cup doesn't have a valve and if there's no valve, my sweet DD purposely spreads water all over the floor, table, car seat, etc. We also have a Sigg cup that we're fond of except for the spreading water issue. We use it outside all the time. I just ordered a Safe Sippy to try too.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#16 of 19 Old 09-18-2008, 07:04 PM

Our Foogo molded... : We left water in it for... well longer than I'm willing to admit to on a public forum. (To be fair, it was the week we got married... we discovered it on the honeymoon)

We've been using the Kleen Kanteen, but he doesn't like it as much (too tall for a little guy) and I'm interested in getting another Foogo when we have some money. Hey fresh_water ... PM me if you are serious about selling!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#17 of 19 Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 PM

Sounds to me, as PPs have mentioned, like it is probably the plastic leaching into the water. Maybe try a cup or one of the stainless steel options mentioned above?

treehugger.gif
#18 of 19 Old 09-19-2008, 07:01 PM

Here are some stainless steel options.

Teenie Weenie Klean Kanteen

Safe Sippy

Foogo

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#19 of 19 Old 09-20-2008, 10:47 AM

Eek!! That's nasty. We do either stainless steal or a regular cup (but smaller so she can do it herself)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page