Sippy cup- water is gross! - Mothering Forums
Life with a Toddler > Sippy cup- water is gross!
Crazybean's Avatar Crazybean 04:14 PM 09-17-2008
DS has a sippy cup that we wash out daily. I was interested in seeing what his water tasted like after sitting in the cup for a while.. it tasted like pastic!

reezley's Avatar reezley 04:30 PM 09-17-2008
I, too, have tried drinking water from a sippy cup - to test the valve. Even fresh water tasted/smelled like the plastic. I couldn't drink from it unless I were very thirsty. DS's don't seem to mind though... and I don't know of easy/nonsmelly alternatives. Ours are Playtex brand.
wanderinggypsy's Avatar wanderinggypsy 04:32 PM 09-17-2008
Ew. I strongly recommend the kleen canteen sippy. Plastic flavored water just can't be good for anybody.
angelachristin's Avatar angelachristin 10:49 PM 09-17-2008
that sounds gross. My DS drinks water from a Sigg bottle and I have drank out of it plenty of times and it tastes fine. They are aluminum bottles.
pandora665's Avatar pandora665 11:06 PM 09-17-2008
Foogo (found on Amazon and at some Targets) makes straw cups and sippy cups made of stainless. I've never tried the sippies, but the straw cup water tastes fine - DD and I share all the time.
Enudely's Avatar Enudely 11:20 PM 09-17-2008
gotta go stainless steel, it's the only way> Our plastic sippys start tasting plasticky after the water sits in them for a very short time. I only use them if I can't find the steel one, and then I make sure she drinks it right away and then rinse it out. I don't really want her drinking plastic leach!
Crazybean's Avatar Crazybean 12:43 PM 09-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora665 View Post
Foogo (found on Amazon and at some Targets) makes straw cups and sippy cups made of stainless. I've never tried the sippies, but the straw cup water tastes fine - DD and I share all the time.
I looked on the target website and read 1 of the reviews about mold- have you had this problem? How do you clean it to avoid the mold issue? I really like this cup.
fresh_water's Avatar fresh_water 12:49 PM 09-18-2008
I found the Foogos to be kinda heavy and DS was not interested in using them. I have 3 if anyone is interested lol. I got him a BPA-free Nalgene bottle. He loves that one.
Ruthie's momma's Avatar Ruthie's momma 01:04 PM 09-18-2008
I am wondering if this is why my almost 15 mo DD is so reluctant to drink from most any plastic sippy cup she is given. She has always used a glass bottle, a regular glass or a melamine cup. I will have to offer her a stainless steel sippy...
pandora665's Avatar pandora665 03:42 PM 09-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybean View Post
I looked on the target website and read 1 of the reviews about mold- have you had this problem? How do you clean it to avoid the mold issue? I really like this cup.
We don't have the sippy, just the straw cup. Never any problems with mold. We run it through the dishwasher at the end of the day (cup, straw, lid, and straw holder thing). 1 cup per day. Easy peasy. I hate anything with a valve for that very reason.
ladylove's Avatar ladylove 03:51 PM 09-18-2008
What about a real cup?

I only use a sippy (Born Free kind) when he is in the car or stroller. Other than that, he (and I) prefer a small glass cup.
tbone_kneegrabber's Avatar tbone_kneegrabber 06:54 PM 09-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybean View Post
our sippy molded. We left water in near the bed and forgot about it for a day or two and now there is mold in the sippy part. We can't get it clean and we just stopped using it and I'm pissed because it was expensive! Ds has a sigg bottle that we use most of the time, born free cups that I try to rinse out several times a day and then regular cheap-y plastic cups that we use when we can't find others.
Eliseatthebeach's Avatar Eliseatthebeach 07:04 PM 09-18-2008
How about the Klean Kanteen? No mold issues and the water tastes like water. My toddler was not too happy about the sippy top b/c she would see her older sisters using the sports cap, so I bought extra sports caps and now she is happy and prefers this cup to the plastic ones.
Phoenix_Rising's Avatar Phoenix_Rising 07:06 PM 09-18-2008
Kleen Kanteen are great for that reason
That said, my almost three year old really doesn't like his Kleen Kanteen and loves the colorful plastic sippy cups.
Flower of Bliss's Avatar Flower of Bliss 07:51 PM 09-18-2008
We use the Foogo sippy cups and I've never had a mold issue. I only put water in them. I'll admit that I've even let her use it 2 days in a row before washing sometimes The water inside stays cold even in the heat on the TX summer sitting the car for a couple of hours. My only complaints are that it's small and it's a sippy cup. I prefer straw cups, but the Foogo straw cup doesn't have a valve and if there's no valve, my sweet DD purposely spreads water all over the floor, table, car seat, etc. We also have a Sigg cup that we're fond of except for the spreading water issue. We use it outside all the time. I just ordered a Safe Sippy to try too.
Twinklefae's Avatar Twinklefae 08:04 PM 09-18-2008
Our Foogo molded... : We left water in it for... well longer than I'm willing to admit to on a public forum. (To be fair, it was the week we got married... we discovered it on the honeymoon)

We've been using the Kleen Kanteen, but he doesn't like it as much (too tall for a little guy) and I'm interested in getting another Foogo when we have some money. Hey fresh_water ... PM me if you are serious about selling!
laneysprout's Avatar laneysprout 09:33 PM 09-18-2008
Sounds to me, as PPs have mentioned, like it is probably the plastic leaching into the water. Maybe try a cup or one of the stainless steel options mentioned above?
k9sarchik's Avatar k9sarchik 08:01 PM 09-19-2008
Here are some stainless steel options.

Teenie Weenie Klean Kanteen

Safe Sippy

Foogo
lindsayjean's Avatar lindsayjean 11:47 AM 09-20-2008
Eek!! That's nasty. We do either stainless steal or a regular cup (but smaller so she can do it herself)
Up